<2000 Adapting to the new Codex 1850pt Shooty. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adapting to the new Codex 1850pt Shooty.

I just picked up the new Necron codex and I'm trying to wrap my brain around the new structure for army layout. While I try to accomplish this I'd appreciate any input on how to adapt and build upon my list.

My previous list was a 1850pt shooty phalanx styled list as follows:

Necron Lord
    res orb
    gaze

Necron Lord
    res orb
    light

warriors x 10
    warriors x 10
    warriors x 10
    warriors x 10
    warriors x 10
    warriors x 10

destroyers x 3
    destroyers x 3
    destroyers x 3

Units I currently own and are at my disposal are as follow:
    Necron Lord x2
    Necron Warriors x72 (I may have a few more hidden away somewhere)
    Destroyers x7
    Heavy destroyers x2 (they are magnetized so switchable to normal destroyers)
    flayed ones x8
    scarabs x... I have no idea they keep multiplying

My main concerns right now are building in the new HQ setup into my current list, I'd like to keep as close as possible to the shooty troop spam as possible as it worked well for me in the past. Although since things have changed vastly since I last played I'd be more then pleased to receive any advice for tweaking my army. Please bare in mind that I really would like to steer away from spending too much to beef up my list and preferably spending nothing at all.

Thanks in advance and thanks again to all those who helped me last time to tweak my old list!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With one word : Destroyers are nerfed in the new Necrons Codex.
    Exclude all of them they are pretty bad at everything except at killing MEQ.

Now your list lacks proper anti-tank badly and I mean that.warriors are good for knocking some glancing hits on enemies vehicles but they can not destroy them.
    Since you have been out for a while you might find handy to know what works well in the new Codex:

Crypteks/a must in every army
    Catacomb Command Barges
    Wraiths
    Scarabs
    Annihilation Barges

Those are the models that really shine right now.

As for the list:
    Since you don't want to spend a fortune in models I suggest you to buy two boxes of Immotals
    Make ten of them and with the rest of the bitzes make ten Crypteks

Now this is your list:

HQ
    Overlord w/Warscythe/MSS/ResOrb/Phaeron 165
    Overlord w/Warscythe/MSS/ResOrb/Phaeron 165

Tek w/HoD/SP 55
    Tek w/HoD/SP 55
    Tek w/HoD 35
    Tek w/HoD 35
    Tek w/HoD 35
    Tek w/HoD 35
    Tek w/HoDesp/VoD 60
    Tek w/HoDesp/VoD 60

Troops
    20 Warriors 260 (Overlord goes here)
    20 Warriors 260 (Overlord goes here)
    12 Warriors 156
    12 Warriors 156
    5 Immortals 85 (Despair Tek goes here)
    5 Immortals 85 (Despair Tek goes here)

And spend the rest of your points in scarabs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to see how this list plays out under the new codex, it seems like from the lists I'm seeing posted on here the playing style of Necrons has changed slightly and everyone is steering away from troop spamming. Is there any main reason for this? Are the new unit choices just that more appealing and that more effective? Are mostly troop oriented armies a bit more difficult under the new codex? It seems the resurrection rules are a bit less than they use to be.

Also if I was to bump up the point size to 2000pts would the addition of a Ghost Ark be beneficial?

I'm curious as to how people going about assembling Crypteks? I noticed there is only one model available for them currently.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

the addition of a ghost ark will always be helpful. You can hide the crypteks in it, and reanimating d3 models/turn can really make your opponent wish he destroyed it earlier. Plus it can put out the firepower of 5 warriors at 2 different targets.
    Also, in a unit of 20 models i find that the gaze of flame is a must if you are putting a cryptek in there. You will be getting charged most likely, and the defensive gernades are well worth the 10pts.
    If you are getting the new immortals, get a box of warriors also (or use old warriors). Add the deathmark guns, heads and backs to the warrior legs and chests with abit of green stuff and glue and you have crypteks. Trim the guns or put attachments on them to make the guns different to keep different crypteks apart if you feel like. A box of warriors and a little converting can go a far way with the new necron models.

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

Either Gaze of Flame or a Seismic Crucible. What's even better than reducing the attacks an enemy makes in combat? Stopping him getting there all together and getting another round of shooting in! Plus, if you've been shooting them with the Tremorstave from the Crucible Cryptek, they will strike and initiative 1 when they do charge, having charged through forced difficult terrain. Of course, having both is better, but you see where I'm coming from =)
    NMP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again to everyone who has provided help tweaking my list!

It looks like I choose a rather poor time to come back into the game or possibly a good time? Either way the rules have changed again and I wouldn't mind a bit of help setting me back on track.

Should I be pretty much set with MrRe-roll's list in 6th edition? As it is pretty much what I was about to tweak to till the new rules came out.

Thanks again in advance!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Mr. re rolls list looks pretty good but personally I would like a bit more diversity. We have some grat fast attack and heavy support choices, and I believe that we can take the most flyer options of all the codexes.I would suggest looking around some of the other lists on here to get a couple of ideas.

However, if you want to juts use the models you have then Mr. re roll list looks great>

+ Reply to Thread