Librarium Online Forums banner

1850 Eldar (new Eldar player, only semi-competitive)

<2000 
2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Zentradi 
#1 ·
Combined Arms Detachment

120 - Farseer Skyrunner- Jetbike and Singing Spear.

108 - 4x Windriders- Scatter Lasers (Farseer goes here)
81 - 3x Windriders- Scatter Lasers

225 - 3x War Walkers- Scatter Lasers and Eldar Missile Launchers
420 - 3x Falcons- Holo-Fields

Aspect Host A

106 - 6x Swooping Hawks-
Exarch
106 - 6x Swooping Hawks- Exarch
162 - 8x Warp Spiders- Exarch

Aspect Host B

120 - 5x Fire Dragons- Exarch

I know a lot of people don't have much respect for Swooping Hawks, but I quite like them. My main concern is spending 780 points for the Falcon + Fire Dragon Perfect Deepstrike combo. Is that worth it? I could take 2 more squads of Warp Spiders and another squad of Swooping Hawks...and a Wraithknight for less. Would three perfect Deep-striking Haywire Grenade squads be enough for AV13/14? Am I too weak on warp charges in this setup? Any feedback is appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
I love the list. It should be a blast to play and will be quite competative. You might look at changing out your Farseer for an Autarch (if you can) so that you have a bit better control over your deep-strike capabilities. Outfitting him to be with the Fire Dragons would be amazing.

My personal favorite combo for War Walkers is Starcannon & Brightlance. It works great against stronger troops like Space Marines, but has some punch against vehicles as well. I would also make sure that you have the added Brightlance to the Falcon's as well and the underslung Shuriken Cannon (3 S8 and 3 S6 shots from a vehicle is killer).

Swooping Hawks are an OK unit. They are great when they can assault vehicles with their Haywire Granades, but their shooting and grenade packs are pretty weak. You might look at switching them out at some point for more Warp Spiders if you want to make the list even more competitive. If you are concerned about anti-aircraft, the Warp Spiders can do a decent job of shooting them out of the air.

Hope this helps!

#3 · (Edited)
I took the EMLs with the War Walkers to be my anti-FMC units, while the Swooping Hawks can also Haywire the sides of other flyers if they want.

I get the feeling from reading comments and blogs that people don't really utilize Swooping Hawks very often. Precision deep-striking, Haywire, assault 3 weaponry, and their 'Dragoon Escape' combo'd with another precision deep strike when they come back in next turn.

I can't just add Bright Lances to everything I'd want them on with the list, as I'm sitting at exactly 1,850.

If I changed the list, it would be to remove the Falcons and Fire Dragons. Replaced with a Wraithknight and some more jump infantry aspect warriors, most likely. This is what that army would look like instead:

Combined Arms Detachment

120 - Farseer Skyrunner- Jetbike and Singing Spear

88 - Autarch Warlord- Warp Jump Generator, Banshee Mask, Scorpion Chainsword

108 - 4x Windriders- Scatter Lasers (Farseer goes here)

225 - 3x War Walkers- Scatter Lasers and Eldar Missile Launchers

295 - Wraithknight- Base

Aspect Host A

124 - 6x Warp Spiders-
Exarch
205 - 10x Warp Spiders- Exarch w/Twin-linked DS
124 - 6x Warp Spiders- Exarch

Aspect Host B

Autarch joins big Spider squad, Farseer joins larger Windrider squad. Big question for me is...Telepathy or Fate for my Farseer? Do I hunt for Invisibility, or stick to getting Psychic Focus with my Runes of Fate table, and receiving Guide free? I'd call this army an 'Ambush Host', pouncing like a big cat.

Again, this should be 1,850 on the nose.

#4 ·
I really like swooping Hawks, they are great fun to play. Still they are not a unit that I should build around. For me it's a win or lose unit. Sometime they just die really fast and some time they make there points back 5-6 times over. They are a good distraction and in the right spot they will rock. There guns are quite weak but they slaughter light infantry, like guards. I usually try to assult heavy vehicles with them. I use one unit of six, I can see my self play around with two unit but not more then that.

War walkers and jet bikes rock, and are solid to build around. Spiders are also good, but even if they are fast they only shot 12' and that will give them hard time to reach a target first turn. So I don't want to many units of them. I usually have one unit of 5 that I ofthen deepstrike to get some rear shots at a tank or to kill monsters creature. There ability to kill tanks is a bit less effective in the latest codex so I ofthen just use one unit now. They are also good distraction like the Hawks, but a bit more forgiving to use and they hunt different different things.

#5 ·
Combined Arms Detachment: 1478

Farseer Skyrunner (Jetbike and Singing Spear)(Telepathy)
Windriders x3 (Scatter Lasers)(Farseer goes here)
Windriders x3 (Scatter Lasers)
Wraithguard x5 (D-Scythes and Wave Serpent w/Brightlance)
Wraithguard x5 (Wave Serpent w/Brightlance)
War Walkers x3 (SL + EML x1, SL + SC x2)
Wraithknight (Scatter Lasers)

Aspect Host: 372

Warp Spiders x6 (Exarch)
Warp Spiders x6 (Exarch)
Warp Spiders x6 (Exarch)

#7 · (Edited)
Seems I can't stop myself from re-tooling my lists. The previous list vs this one:

Combined Arms Detachment: 1476

Farseer Skyrunner (Singing Spear)
Windriders x6 (Scatter Lasers and Warlock w/ Singing Spear)
Wraithguard x5 (Wave Serpent w/Brightlance and Holo-Fields)
Swooping Hawks x6 (Exarch)
War Walkers x3 (SL + EML, SL + SC, SL x2)
Wraithknight (Scatter Lasers)

Aspect Host: 372

Warp Spiders x6 (Exarch)
Warp Spiders x6 (Exarch)
Warp Spiders x6 (Exarch)

Traded D-Scythes for a Warlock Skyrunner to Protect or Conceal, with an extra Spear to throw. And the second unit of Wraiths for more bikes and a Hawks unit...because I just can't stop loving the idea of having FF Dragoons in my army...even if they're wimpy in combat, lol. I'd use them primarily for either low-armor infantry, or high AV vehicle assaulting. If I got them in, killed something, then it didn't make sense to keep them around...I could just re-Strike them on top of an objective.

#8 ·
If you use the second list (it looks quite good) I should drop the one warlock, it's not that good. If you whant more psychics I should find the points for one more Farseer. That way you get a few more dice and that makes it harder for your enemy to deny the witch.

The exarch on the Hawks might not me worth it. If you deepstrike then he is worth the points, but the grenade pack is not that good, it's ok, but not awesome. I ofthen don't deepstrik my hawk. If I do I start on the board, take of turn one and enter in turn two. That way I don't have to use a reserv roll.

On the war walkers I don't mix the weapons. I take scatter laser, star cannon or bright lance. The scatter laser shoot longer then the shuriken cannon, so I take SL, still SC is better vs good save, if the target is not on cover. Star cannon I don't use that ofthen, as our board has alot of cover. Bright lance I good if you go after tanks. One EML is quite bad, yes you get skyfire but one shot is not worth it. Just guide a bike unit, warp spiders or war walkers and snap shot it to death. I usually ignore flyers or try to places unit where they are hard to hit.

Don't underestimate swooping Hawks, if you learn how to use them. A big part is the position so they don't get killed, they can be awesome. I have killed 400-600 pts more then once with 6 Hawks, that unit only cost 96 pts. But one or two times they just died and did nothing.

One unit of 3 bikes can be good, but I don't use more then one unit in that size. The risk is too hige that one model gets killd and then the rest might flee. Also don't put a Farseer with just 3 bikes for the same reason. Still 3 is good to get a objective. Guide is also more effective on a bigger unit, I find 5 is a good number. Some time I use a unit of 3 with no upgrade as a cheep suicide objective graber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.