Making Kroot Trackers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I finally got my Dark Elf plastic cold ones in today. Granted, I could have gone and also ordered krootox heads for $2 more, but I el cheapo'ed on that.
    So, all that I'm working with to make Kroot Trackers are the cold ones and the rider, havent clipped the front legs, its just a cold one with a kroot riding it.
    After about 45 minutes on one model, I've realized that its a one-way trip to a heart-attack for me. I clipped and reattached the rider's legs and feet about five or so times trying to position it in a rider way, and he still looks gimpy in the saddle. I finally finish, get up, walk four feet and hear the guy fall off the Cold One as the glue bond breaks and I have to start over.

Has anyone had experience in creating kroot trackers and have suggestions on how to get the kroot's legs and feet to appear more natural in the saddle?

When I get done painting him I'll try to post links to his pictures to get people's opinion on whether or not it was worth my health putting this guy together.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm quite proud of the way my five kroot trackers came out, but I have them mounted on wolves, not cold ones, so perhaps I had a bit easier time with it. after a certain point, no amount of repositioning is going to prevent them from looking like they are doing the splits, but I have an Idea or two you could try.

first, the cheating: not all of your trackers need to be, or should be mounted. you can represent them using the cold one for cover, kneeled next to it sniping, or, well, tracking.

for thos actually mounted, you can try modeling them with both legs on one side (a bit too femmenine if you ask me), mounted high on saddles that lessen the angle of the legs (could work, depending on the theme of your army, but has the side effect of making the model a bit taller than you might otherwise want), or you could do it the hard way-

-carefully plan out the position the legs will be in

-prepare each leg seperately from the waist

-VERY carefully carve in the shape of the legs into the side of the mount. you don't want to go very deep, no more than half the width of the legs, but you'd be surprised how every little bit helps. never tried it with cold ones, but you might want to give it a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, I had been thinking about having a few dismounted ones. I think that I may need to start using green stuff for this project, would be my first time using it.

Anyways, sorta finished the first one, he needs a bit touching up on the paint. But I took a picture of him at his best angle. So, here's a picture of my first tracker.

I tried uploading it to the LO first, but its taking a while to get there I think. Anymore suggestions or do people think thats good enough for a Tracker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

It's very nice IMO.

TRy using green stuff when you cut the legs and mold a ''sattle'', like camel riders or elephant riders if you know what I mean, to help not to have a arc too big in between the legs.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, hopefully as I'm finishing up on my enormous group of kroot Trackers, well ten, but its big considering that they are rarely used, I'll continue to edit this message with any tips I pick up, and encourage others to add on.

Today's lesson: The legs do not have to fit back together on both sides. Ok, if you decide to help mount a kroot on the back of an animal by cutting and reattaching the legs, then both sides of the hip joints do not have to reattach and fit, in fact, sometimes its easier to let the front side attach on in a way that leaves the back side with a lot of open space. This looks bad unless you cover it up, and the kroot sprue offers a ton of things to cover it up with. On one Tracker I have both legs with back sides left open, but covered on one side by the bag of bones and the other by two balls (I figure kroot grenades). This way it looks like the legs are fitted onto the kroot normally, but you havent thrown the Tracker across the room for the millionth time after being unable to reattach the legs in the pose you wanted.

What are the components of a Tracker?: Two basic components, a Kroot Warrior with its rifle blades cut off, and a mount of some kind. Someone else posted about using a wolf mount. Mine is personally a plastic Cold One, which costs $4. You can make your mount look more krooty with aKrootox Head for only $2 more per mount, coming to a total of $6 (or 7.85 if you count the cost of the kroot warrior). Not bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still hoping to find a better way to make the trackers... make them look alot less like the cold ones and alot more like the Knarlocs you see on FW.
    <span style='font-family:Impact'>I&#39;m the elephant under your bed... well not really but I have him tied up and I&#39;m worse...</span>
    <a href='http://www.the-waaagh.com/' target='_blank'>Waaagh&#33;&#33;&#33;</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

well you could use green stuff to extend the necks an make the broader, working the legs would be a good start. THe tail as to be worked as well.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Wolf_Pack@Feb 24 2005, 00:57
    well you could use green stuff to extend the necks an make the broader, working the legs would be a good start. THe tail as to be worked as well.
    [snapback]337439[/snapback]
    Yeah that&#39;s pretty much expected... if I get a job soon enough to carry on with my spending habits I should have my full army in about a year or two... so I have alot of time to plan until then.

Anyone else but me considering using pteradon&#39;s or whatever from the lizardmen armies to make vultures?
    <span style='font-family:Impact'>I&#39;m the elephant under your bed... well not really but I have him tied up and I&#39;m worse...</span>
    <a href='http://www.the-waaagh.com/' target='_blank'>Waaagh&#33;&#33;&#33;</a>

+ Reply to Thread