Krootox, Not So Bad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

The first time I went through the Tau codex, I asked myself you the heck someone would want to play with krootoxes when you can have railguns?

Well I found my answer this week.

In a Kroot Mercenary army, well they are really great, as long as you don't set them on destroying 13 armor vehicules.

For 50 pts, you get a a very decent fire range, and strength, ideal to hunt down those annoying transports that keeps you in check or steals table quarters late game ( along with it's dedicated unit of course). Plus, they can get side armor of a lemann russ and still pop them.

If someone moves within 18 of you during is turn, well you can move up and rapid fire the snot out of him.

In combat you get a nice S6 and high toughness model with 3 wounds... not counting the multiple attacks it gets. Helped alot Vs marines and crons.

I am curently play testing with 4 of these bad boys, I'll keep you guys posted.

Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Originally posted by Wolf_Pack@Mar 2 2005, 17:34
    The first time I went through the Tau codex, I asked myself you the heck someone would want to play with krootoxes when you can have railguns?

Well I found my answer this week.

In a Kroot Mercenary army, well they are really great, as long as you don't set them on destroying 13 armor vehicules.

For 50 pts, you get a a very decent fire range, and strength, ideal to hunt down those annoying transports that keeps you in check or steals table quarters late game ( along with it's dedicated unit of course). Plus, they can get side armor of a lemann russ and still pop them.

If someone moves within 18 of you during is turn, well you can move up and rapid fire the snot out of him.

In combat you get a nice S6 and high toughness model with 3 wounds... not counting the multiple attacks it gets. Helped alot Vs marines and crons.

I am curently play testing with 4 of these bad boys, I'll keep you guys posted.
    [snapback]342625[/snapback]
    I always wondered the same about Krootoxen and I've always wondered how they'd do in a Merc. list...they really are useless in a Tau army, but I can see the usefulness (somewhat) in the Merc. list.

And before anyone asks - the 18" he is referring to is moving 6" into rapid fire range, then rapid firing. Not rapid firing from 18" away.

The only drawback is they are the only unit in your army who can't infiltrate...so I can see them being good and bad at the same time.

Can't wait to hear how well they do for you, though. The models aren't half bad... ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Well I've play 2 games with them so far, I can tell you this: Opponents don't bother to shoot at them, having more ''pressing'' mathers to deal with. This means they never get the 300 pts for the unit, and around turn 4-5 they can start to move up the take a quarter or contest one.

Also, I was able to pop whirlwinds and hell hounds with fairly decent rolls, Since they are a Bane to Kroot compared to the predator with is 3 lascannons.

They can also tie up an enemy unit in combat, preventing them from getting in your deployment zone for a scoring unit.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many and how big of a squad are you using?

Sexy land, for only the coolest of people
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally i liked them alot because of what you said but also you can have like up to 5 so then at 48" you can smash S7 10 attacks worth into smashing .. well rhinos, other devilfish maybe, monstrous creatures or to close for you to feel safe medium sized creatures or units. And then with five of them you still can include two hammerheads which is awesome. So in my opinion they are worth it.
    "God works in mysterious ways."
    "Everything happens for a reason."

I actually have a slug living in YOU, right now...

Slowly will start playing: Iyanden, and Chaos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by SlugEmpire@Mar 3 2005, 04:11
    Personally i liked them alot because of what you said but also you can have like up to 5 so then at 48" you can smash S7 10 attacks worth into smashing .. well rhinos, other devilfish maybe, monstrous creatures or to close for you to feel safe medium sized creatures or units. And then with five of them you still can include two hammerheads which is awesome. So in my opinion they are worth it.
    [snapback]342844[/snapback]
    Actually you can have 20 a squad i think as it says at least half the krootoxes per kroot up to equal number per kroot which is 20 per HS choice but that is also over 1k pts

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Originally posted by pastyrhd@Mar 3 2005, 14:28
    Actually you can have 20 a squad i think as it says at least half the krootoxes per kroot up to equal number per kroot which is 20 per HS choice but that is also over 1k pts
    [snapback]343309[/snapback]
    Are you referring to Tau or Kroot Merc.'s?

You can have a total of 15 Krootox, five per Heavy Support slot, in a Kroot Mercenaries army.

The herd numbers 10-20 Kroot on foot and 3-5 Krootox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Yes that is true.

On my 1700 pts list I field 10 kroot(including Shaper) and 4 krootox, and it's working so far. It might seem alot but they did better than my council so far and are more usefull in taking out transports and others
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes krootox are worth it, especially if you stick the squad in a forest... I know they don't benefit from fieldcraft...

one time my friend wanted to play me 4500 pts on one force org chart to see what I could field... and I fielded a full 20 krootoxs with 20 kroot... didn't do as great shooting as I expected it to... but hey in combat the squad ripped through four squads of hormagaunts...

BTW- the 10-20 kroot with 5-20 krootoxen... minimum 1 krootox per 2 kroot (including shaper) maximum 1 krootox per kroot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

still have to respect the 3-5 restriction, it's in the PDF version.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast