[2000]Tyranids (vs. Imperial Guard) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[2000]Tyranids (vs. Imperial Guard)

Hello, I have recently started playing 40k and my friend has challenged me with his imperial guard. Here is what I have made:

1 Hive tyrant w/ 2x scything talons, adrenal gland ws, extended carapace and toxin sacs.132
    2 guards w/ scything talons and rending claws. 90

1 Broodlord w/extended carapace 80
    5 genestealers w/ scything talons, extended carapace, toxin sacs and feeder tendrils. 140

5 Warriors w/ x2 scything talons, extended carapace, toxin sacs, adrenal glands ws
    and leaping. 190

2 Lictors 160

1 shock troop carnifex w/ scything talons, rending claws, toxin sacs, adrenal glands ws
    and toxic miasma. 114

22 Hormagaunts w/ adrenal gland ws, extended carapace and toxin sacs. 308

4 Raveners w/ x2 scything talons. 152

2 Zoanthropes w/ synapse and warp blast. 130

1 Carnifex w/ 2x scything talons, toxin sacs, adrenal gland ws, extended carapace,
    bonded exoskeleton, toxic miasma, spine banks, tusked and reinforced chiten. 194

Grand total: 1998 Points.

My friend hasn't read the new codex and won't, since he doesn't like tyranids. If you can think of anything, please let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble

You could be in some real trouble fighting an IG army with that kind of 'Nid army
    especially if your friend is very shooter friendly......you won't be able to hurt him unless you are in close combat.....and not only that you have to roll reserve checks to get your lictors into combat......I would think that maybe you could give your main Carnifex either a Venom Cannon (if your IG opponent has multiple tanks) or a Barbed Strangler (if he has mostly troops).......Also you might want to keep in mind that your IG opponent is more likely to key on your Tyrant and your 'Stealers as they will be his biggest threats ......your Carnifexes will be too slow to be effective for a majority of the battle..........i think you should think about a few more ranged weapons in your army, i am still kind of new at the game as well....but not being able to put rounds down range is never a good idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by atomskdaemon

1 Hive tyrant w/ 2x scything talons, adrenal gland ws, extended carapace and toxin sacs.132
    2 guards w/ scything talons and rending claws. 90
    Not too keen the fact that your CC tyrant doesn't fly. This one is going to live yes but it'll get in combat against IG on turn 3 at the earliest 5 if the IG player is good.

1 Broodlord w/extended carapace 80
    5 genestealers w/ scything talons, extended carapace, toxin sacs and feeder tendrils. 140
    That's only 8 wounds. Flashlights will rip that squad apart if you don't get in combat on the turn you infilitrate.

5 Warriors w/ x2 scything talons, extended carapace, toxin sacs, adrenal glands ws
    and leaping. 190
    Against IG infantry, sure y not but usually you give them rending.

1 shock troop carnifex w/ scything talons, rending claws, toxin sacs, adrenal glands ws
    and toxic miasma. 114
    Why claws? he ignores armor anyways and with WS and TM, your going to be hitting on 3's. Also drop the TS's since STR 10 isn't worth the points. Unless ur taking down something with toughness 8, it's really not worth it.

Yay, these should be fun just watch out for the ORD.

4 Raveners w/ x2 scything talons. 152
    See warrior comment.

1 Carnifex w/ 2x scything talons, toxin sacs, adrenal gland ws, extended carapace,
    bonded exoskeleton, toxic miasma, spine banks, tusked and reinforced chiten. 194
    Please give him a BS, That's a 36" ORD template that can pin (ie less shots coming at ur gaunts). Again not going to get there until turn 3 or 4.

Overall a good list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you

Thank you very much for the comments! I will make the changes immediately, although he wants to change the points to 4500...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

2 words: Hierodule and Hierophant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dymew
    He won't let me have those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by dymew
    Are there official rules for them? I know about the CDR, but, I believe they were "optional". I would love to recreate my Forgeworld Malefactor.
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't face my friend's IG with that army (no offence). He has planned to have 300 men in his army ( I don't know about your friend, so I really can't comment), and with only 44 troops in an army, he'd wipe me out simple with las-gun fire. I'd get some recycling gaunts there and cut the shock troop carnifex. I'd also get rid of the zoanthrope, because I hate them now. They're a waste of points. Instead, I'd add a Carnifex. 4 Raveners are good, especially with so many attacks. They can kill lots of guardsmen with the scything talons with such a fast I. The Broodlord and retinue are great, especially against tanks hidden behind a hill (Basilisk). However, the 5 CC Warriors are a bit too costly and I doubt they'd even get into CC, because they pose such a threat, like the HT who would be 1st Priority Target (or something like that). I'd take a Venom Cannon on at least the Carnifex, because he's IG he'll have his AV14 tanks. Because your only tankbusters are the genestealers and Zoanthropes, he'll target them first and then blast everything else away (if he has a tank heavy army).

Sorry if I degraded your army so much, but it depends on his army. If he's got lots of tanks, I highly suggest you give your Carnifex and/or Hive Tyrant a Venom Cannon. If he's troop heavy, I suggest more gaunts or a Barbed Strangler. Otherwise, it's a pretty good army with a good mix of units!
    "If a ninja does anything anywhere it won't make a sound, but if it does it's probably gonna be the last sound you hear."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Fast and Deadly, I disagree about the Zoat. IMO they are better than ever if for no other reason than the 2 Psichic powers. The ability to drop another Synapse beastie, with a good save who also double as a tank killer, (for a heck of a lot cheaper tha a 'Fex or Tyrant). On top of that, IIRC he is actually better in CC than he used to be, (don't have my old codex in front of me).
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

"Experimental" rules are out for the Hierophant and are available on Forgeworld

Acctual rules are out for the Hierodule and are available in one the the imperial armors. Both are excellent infantry killers and at T8, i'd like to see lasguns hurt them.

Also a pure infantry IG army would only do well in holding positions. Heck, unless the board is a barren wasteland, I can prolly get at least 1 CC squad to their lines, after which guardsman start dying. Add a lictor or 2 there and their shooting will be extremely hindered

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast