[1000] Necrons - Got blown up - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1000] Necrons - Got blown up

Alright, I got to play WH40k for the first time recently with the Necron force I've been building for awhile now (I love the modelling, have had a hard time finding other players).

Currently my list goes:

Necron Lord (Res Orb)
    Warriors x 12
    Warriors x 12
    Scarabs x 5
    Heavy D's x 2
    Monolith
    997 points

I'm hoping to replace the monolith - I already have 5 flayed ones converted and painted I'd like to include but I'm lost for what else to include, probably some regular destroyers.

The main group I'll be taking it against will likely be Eldar, though in my first game I fought Chaos.

Here's where the got blown up part comes in - they kept nuking me with indirect fire from one of the spider tanks hiding in a corner and I'd like to avoid that in the future if at all possible. This time I was able to pop it once the monolith deepstriked. Without the monolith I'm not sure what I'd used to take such a thing on - maybe Destroyers, but it seems like they'd just get killed by the same ordinance.

The scarabs weren't particularly effective, though that was likely because I let them get shot once before close combat started and they were shot to heck. It was likely my fault there.

The Heavy D's were good, did 2 wounds on Chaos' expensive demon lord, but bad placement on my part let him reach and kill them, I think I'll shoot from further away in the future.

The warriors had trouble getting in to combat, they were pounded by the artillery - without the monolith I'd like to have a VoD to help that mobility.

All these ideas are based on what I saw against Chaos, I have no idea what to expect from Eldar...

Eventually I'd like to grow this to a 1500-2k list, but most of my games will likely be 1k limit.

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need a Lord with destroyer body and warsythe leading your scarabs - plus they goto have diruption fields for tank hunting, a lord like this with 10 scarab swarms will mosh stuff good and proper

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Whew alrighty where to begin. Well first off, you don't NEED to put a destroyer lord with scarabs, it really depends on your play style. The other think is to never bring less than 7(altough I think 8-10 is safer) scarabs swarms as they won't have enough collective wounds to survive even one round of combat (playtest it if you don't belive me). But also don't overlook these guys, they've saved my neck more than once, just don't cut them short. I'd advise against the Heavy Destroyers in your list as they are too expensive for the point level and what your using them for. I guess you could bring one if you can make the points, but there are better units to spend those points on, namley warriors. While many object to the monolith in a 1000 point match, I think used correctly and backed by a strong base of warriors, they are good at any point level. Just don't fall into the trap of having it become a giant point sink. Use the deepstriking capabilities and teleportation powers ti bring terror to you oppoents. Anyway, I think you need to revise your list, but don't worry about chaos to much. At a 1000 points, Necrons don't do great, especially against chaos. After you assmeble more forces try some higher point levels. In the meantime, I wish you luck against the enemies of the C'tan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, firstly, thanks for the feedback. I did alright on my first battle, my main issue was trying to find out ways to avoid being railed by barrage weapons in the future.

Increasing the size of the scarab swarms is definitely doable - I hadn't wanted to put too many points in non-necrons that might get shot to heck. Then again some more swarms may really help them survive a round of shooting to earn their keep in assault. Then again I'll also try forgoing the scarabs entirely.

The monolith really had done well for me, popped his demon lord and the spider walker thing with the PWhip, plus rezed quite a few troopers. It remains to be seen how well it will fare against opponents more used to facing Necrons.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay look, Lord give him Veil Of Darkness. This will let him basicly deepstrike anywhere every turn. Any squad within 6" of him will transport with him. Put Immortals with him. If the enemy is almost within charge/assult range, veil 36" away. Then blast them with the Immortals. They get winthen assult/charge range again, veil again 36" away. Repeat when ever needed. Do that and you win :lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

The Veil'ing Immortals is a great combo, no doubt, but to suggest that it is the single killer combo for Necrons is incorrect. The Veil scatters 2D6 inches, meaning 66% of the time you land an average of seven inches off target. You need a fair bit of luck for it to work properly.

I think the root of Herr Sprengstoff's problems lies with the fact that his units do not seem to be working together, as Necron units need to. Also, at one thousand points, a Monolith is a bit of a point-sink. It's effective, to be sure, but there are better things that the points could be spent on. The lower the points-total, the more important numbers become.

At one thousand points, the axiom I like to follow is: no less than twenty-four Warriors; a Lord with no more than one piece of kit; at least one fast unit; and one unit combo, like the Flying Circus, or the D-Lord with Wraiths.

My suggestion would be to puff-up the Scarab Swarms' numbers and give them Disruption Fields, making them excellent tank hunters that are cheap and expendable. Then buy another box of Warriors (which comes with Scarab Swarms, as a nice bonus) and your Troops' numbers will be effectively solid. Against Chaos Marines, you'll often find an over-tooled Chaos Lord, which a Destroyer Lord with a Warscythe can effectively handle.

Lastly, preparing for the Eldar is difficult because of the nature of the Eldar, you could be facing any kind of list. The following things you can rely on, though: you will probably see Brightlances and Starcannons, but likely no ordnance. You will find that Necrons are very good at beating on the Eldar, because the Eldar are more fragile than Marines, though they can hit just as hard, if not, harder; and they move a lot faster. Just remember to keep your fire concentrated and wipe out one unit at a time. The Eldar rely on unit combinations just like the Eldar, so you simply have to recognize the lynchpin of the combo, and kill it.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

+ Reply to Thread