[1500] Tyranids - Too Much Rending? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1500] Tyranids - Too Much Rending?

Alright. I'm making this list for a couple reasons. It seems a neat theme, I'm probably a little masochistic about painting lots of little mini's and carting them around, and I have a powerful urge to send out lots of genestealers to rip through silly little units with stupid 3+ armor saves.

So, some starting constraints, and then the list.
    1) No MCs. My Hive Tyrant is pretty, but he doesn't seem to fit the idea.
    2) No Ld of less than 10. There's not going to be a lot of synapse, and I don't want anybody to lose it. Fortunately, 'nids happen to have 10 Ld, except for a very few of them, who wouldn't make it in anyhow.
    3) Not a lot of shooting, but lots of Rending Claws.

Now, the list I've cooked up so far...

HQ

Broodlord with EC, 11 Genestealers with EC...300pts

Fast Attack

16 Gargoyles... about 200 pts
    (split into smaller squads)

5 Warriors w/ wings, Rending Claws, Scything Talons... about 200 pts

Troops

36 Scything Talons Genestealers ... about 700 pts
    (split into smaller squads, as desired)

Elites

1 Lictor ... individual points cost.

Total... about 1500

And, my strategy for this list:

Hope for Infiltrate, but its not necessary.

If Infiltrate is used, set up the BL and retinue close to the opponent's deployment zone. This will establish a first turn threat, and probably be strong enough to weather the storm of fire.

Rush with Fast Attack choices, and follow more slowly with genestealers. Push FA units as direct as possible, but let 'stealers hug cover, to make them less attractive targets.

Gargoyles are the fastest, so they'll be the next immediate threat, and in good numbers too.
    They'll lock heavy shooty units in HtH to keep them from firing.

Warriors will either block in a shooty unit, or strike after difficult targets.

Genestealers ideally swarm, focusing attacks on as few units as possible, ideally the ones the Gargoyles and Warriors are already hitting.

The Lictor could maybe take out light vehicles, but he's mostly there in case of a reserve scenario, because the Scything Talon Genestealers don't survive without something to soak up fire.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? dire threats?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

have a bit more precise point costs, approximations don't help too much to play with points.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't sure of the exact rules for posting points for things in the forum, because I've read a bunch of threads where people had to remove too much info about costs.

HQ is exact.

Gargoyles are 192 pts in total.

Warriors are 190 pts.

Troops are 720.

And the Lictor is a Lictor's points cost, which I'm pretty sure I can't post, but whatever.

Total comes in at...

With the remainder, I suppose I could improve the Warriors, or add one more Gargoyle or Genestealer, most likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

you can post the total point costs, in the individual cost like upgrades and weapons.

Try the warriors like this: scything talons, leaping, rending claws, extended carapace. cheap and simple, don't get overentousiastic on biomorphs. almost as fast as wings, but much more resilient.

The stealers need the extended carapace to live long enough to get to combat, so swaping the scything talons for it should be in order.

units of 9 stealers right?

try to thin the broodlord's retinue, and get a unit of 4 leaping rippers, they'll lock the opponent who's out of synapse range untill you get there.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

1) There is no such thing as too much rending

2)

With only 3 max broods of flyers to precede your stealers, you might have to reconsider your strat.

This is a rather strange idea but I feel that it could work.

Instead of using your gargs and your warriors as a distraction and hiding the stealers, i suggest you leave the stealers out in the open. maintain 2" coherency to minimize damage from ordance. this way, ur opponent will most likely shoot your stealers. Casaulties should be slim on the first turn due to range and lack of rapidfire. Then, on turn 2, you engage those squads in CC, thereby preventing them from shooting at you. By the time they're done with the flyers, the stealers should've gotten there.

In your current strat, your opponent can simply set up 30" away from you, take shots at your flyers on the first turn. your flyers will now get eliminated in the turn they charge due to lack of numbers, which allows your opponent to open fire on your stealers the next turn.
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Onboard my Leviathan class Hiveship (Sweden)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrsjxn
    I wasn't sure of the exact rules for posting points for things in the forum, because I've read a bunch of threads where people had to remove too much info about costs.

HQ is exact.

Gargoyles are 192 pts in total.

Warriors are 190 pts.

Troops are 720.

And the Lictor is a Lictor's points cost, which I'm pretty sure I can't post, but whatever.

Total comes in at...

With the remainder, I suppose I could improve the Warriors, or add one more Gargoyle or Genestealer, most likely.
    You can post the points total for a unit but avoid putting up what each individual biomorph costs!

/Mirakel_Jocke
    Signature? What signature?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In response to the Leaping Warriors idea, you're right, it is less expensive, and they probably would last longer.

But I'd never swap them out, personally. At less than 40 pts per warrior, they're just better genestealers, basically. They move further, faster, and have a large number of attacks in their own right. Plus synapse.

The problem with leaping warriors is in the opponent setting up 30" away. That's three turns to assault for leaping warriors, and 2 turns for flying warriors. And its an average of 3 turns for the 'stealers to get there.

I want fast attacks to hit first. I want my opponents to know that they will.

This way, there's one threat to deal with every turn, basically. Broodlord first, who will live to also be a threat in at least the second turn (that's why he's got a big brood). Fast Attackers in the 2nd turn. And then everything that's still alive as a threat on turn 3.

As for genestealers in the open. That's probably a good idea. Make my opponent aware of all the nasty threats.

As for giving the troops EC, no thanks. At least, not until I've tried it some. I want as many rending attacks as possible, in as little time as possible.

This way, when my genestealers gang up on SMs 18-to-10, we get 54 rending attacks, faster than they get any. More if we charge.

Which might kill things too fast to be tactically sound. But it would seriously dishearten any opponent. And be very, very satisfying.

Especially since my friend who I play against the most uses Necrons. If I pop a squad in my turn, they probably don't get a chance to come back in the next. Which is a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

the problem with flying warriors is that they can't take fire, and bolters will probably shread them, as for leaping warriors get that nice 4+ save that will save the day.

If you want to force the opponent to you, kgive them a death spitter and reding claws, works fairly well, or a devourer

The EC will allow you to have some stealers when some get there, not just 2-3 that will struggle in combat, resilience is the new advantage of the nids.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earlier today I realized that, statistically speaking, Hormogaunts and Raveners, starting out 30" away from a foe, will tend to make the charge in 2 turns as well as the flyers (but flyers are guaranteed to be able to do it in 2 turns, which could be a boon, if you're like me and roll lots of 1's in FoF rolls).

So I'm going to try a revised list.

HQ

Broodlord w/EC & 11 'stealers w/EC... 300

Fast Attack

5 x Ravener w/ RC & ST ... 200
    (Broken up as necessary)

Troops

20 x Hormagaunts w/ +Ws, +I ... 240
    (Broken up as necessary)

30 x Genestealers w/ ST ... 600
    (Broken up into smaller units as necessary)

Elites

2 x Lictor ... 160

Total: 1500

This list would have the same basic strategy as before, about as many models, and a better chance to survive a scenario with the Reserves rule (Two Lictors).

Downsides, less synapse, fewer Genestealers.

A few thoughts though.

Would it generally be better to use non-modified Hormagaunts to save a few points, or use the Ws,I gaunts in order to ensure slightly more efficient gaunts when they actually reach combat?

Additionally, Raveners, or Winged Warriors? They're both about as resilient as each other. Raveners can Deep Strike, get more rending attacks, but are slower if they can't charge. Whereas Warriors must fly across the board, no matter what, but they get Synapse.

I think the Synapse might be less important in a list where many things are Ld 10 (Hormagaunts are not, which might pose a problem though, if they get screwed up early in the game.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the hormagaunts will start out of sinapse, and mantifexes too is u did not deepstrike them. That is not a very good idea (at least for your hormagaunts) if ur oponent kills your brood lord say bye bye to the hormies.
    BEST ARMY APPEARANCE AND OVERALL WINNER OF A LOCAL GW RTT (29-7-06) GODZILLA/CHOIR 2K ARMY LIST

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast