[2000] Competitive Mech Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

[2000] Competitive Mech Tau

2000-Point Tournament Tau

HQ: Shas’c Crisis Battlesuit-135
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Missile Pod
    -Shield Generator
    -Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker

HQ: Shas’c Crisis Battlesuit-135
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Missile Pod
    -Shield Generator
    -Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit Team-199
    Shas’vre Crisis Battlesuit
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Fusion Blaster
    -Multi-Tracler
    Shas’ui Crisis Battlesuit Team
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Missile Pod
    -Multi-Tracker
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Burst Cannon
    -Multi-Tracker

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit Team-199
    Shas’vre Crisis Battlesuit
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Fusion Blaster
    -Multi-Tracler
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Missile Pod
    -Multi-Tracker
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Burst Cannon
    -Multi-Tracker

Elite: Stealth Battlesuit Team-160
    Shas’vre
    4 Shas’ui

Troop: Fire Warrior Team-222
    Shas’ui
    11x Shas’la
    -Photon Grenades
    Devilfish Troop Transport

Shas’ui
    11x Shas’la
    -Photon Grenades

Shas’ui
    11x Shas’la
    -Photon Grenades

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship-175
    -Railgun
    -Smart Missile System
    -Multi-Tracker
    -Decoy Launcher

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship-175
    -Railgun
    -Smart Missile System
    -Multi-Tracker
    -Decoy Launcher

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship-155
    -Ion Cannon
    -Smart Missile System
    -Multi-Tracker
    -Decoy Launcher

Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad looking list at all. No surprise, considering what I've seen of your posting in my time here so far.

Anyway,

HQ:

One word: OW?! I don't think I've ever fielded a pair of these guys, and I've been playing Tau since they were released. That's two very hard-hitting units on the table, but they're both expensive and will be high-priority targets. So long as there are no snipers on the field, though, you should be able to keep them alive without too much trouble. Just watch out for Lictors, Mandrakes, artillery and other things that tend to pop up in inconvenient places -they just loooove the chance to whack an enemy HQ unit.

ELITES:

I see lots and lots of Plasma Rifles, but not nearly enough of anything else. Giving a different secondary weapon to each member of your Crisis teams means that the chance that any given suit won't be able to use its weapon increases. Don't ask me for the math on it (I play 40K, not Mathhammer), but I've found that teams that are all configured the same way and dedicated to a battlefield role suitable to that config (even if it's just "plug holes and put out fires" for my Fireknife teams) are more effective than teams that try to carry one of each weapon available.

That said, using a Fireknife-6 or -7 as a team leader might not be a bad idea, just for a little extra surprise for your opponent.

You have Stealth Suits. Leave the Burst Cannons to them; they do it very well and there are more productive things your Crisis teams can be doing than trying to maintain Pulse range and not get assaulted. In fact, I would consider dropping a Crisis Suit or two to free up the points you need for a 6-man Stealth team. Four Burst Cannons is cool, six is awesome.

TROOPS:

Three big units of Fire Warriors with 'Fish. I've NEVER found Photons to be worth the points, but then I don't play against a lot of mechanized armies. Besides, I have Railheads and Broadsides, I leave the tank hunting to them.

Other'n that, looks good.

FAST ATTACK:

What, no Pathfinders or Gun Drones? Aww... okay.

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Two Railhead and an Ionhead. They all need Disruption Pods and Target Locks, but otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with Tau Heavy Support.

OVERALL:

A nice tournament list. I think your Elites are trying to do too much with not enough, but that's a personal preference call rather than strategic advice. If you can put the diverse configs to good use, then more power to you.

Aside from a notable lack of Kroot, there really aren't any tactical holes in the list. Controlling enemy movement might prove somewhat difficult without any Markerlights or Carbines on the field, but this army is mobile enough, I think, to counter any unexpected enemy thrusts.
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

For my Suits, I can't count how many games a pair of Shas'o have won for me. I never leave home without them. BS5, jump packs, shields...they're worth every point.

As for the Crisis Teams, however, they are a bit short on the fire volume. I usually fight MEQs, so I automatically build armies geared towards Marines. I might swap out a few Plasma Rifles for Missile Pods.

I think you're thinking EMP Grenades on the Fire Warriors. EMP attack vehicles, Photon remove all the extra attacks for charging, which is, IMO, worth more then what they cost,

I havn't found Disruption Pods to be worth it, but I always play on smaller boards. On a bigger one, they probably would be. Target Locks, I honestly forgot. I usually add them. If I can scrape out 15 points, I'll add them.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadside_Pilot
    For my Suits, I can't count how many games a pair of Shas'o have won for me. I never leave home without them. BS5, jump packs, shields...they're worth every point.

As for the Crisis Teams, however, they are a bit short on the fire volume. I usually fight MEQs, so I automatically build armies geared towards Marines. I might swap out a few Plasma Rifles for Missile Pods.

I think you're thinking EMP Grenades on the Fire Warriors. EMP attack vehicles, Photon remove all the extra attacks for charging, which is, IMO, worth more then what they cost,

I havn't found Disruption Pods to be worth it, but I always play on smaller boards. On a bigger one, they probably would be. Target Locks, I honestly forgot. I usually add them. If I can scrape out 15 points, I'll add them.
    Commander Shas'O's are excellent best unit in the Tau list by far, my commander with plasma and fusion with SG and multi has contributed so much to games with that BS5 and low AP weapons, So I agree I never leave home without him either.

Never tailor a list to fit an opponent it just leads to tears, your list will end up unbalanced and vulnarable to other armies, always balance your weapons fits so you can deal with what ever is thrown at you.
    Photons are a waste of points, if your FW are involved in CC they are dead 99% of the time even minus extra attacks, you should put the points into other more usefull upgrades or equipment.

I am a bit uncertain about Disruption, the possibilitie of rolling a 6 and ending up destroyed or even re rolling the immobalised just puts me of it, I prefer disruption.
    The only upgrade I think is a must take for HH is multi, a 12" move and still firing the railgun WOW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. I'll have to try that sometime.

I'm a diehard fan of the Plasma/Missile/Multi combo, so my opinions on Elites are usually skewed toward that. I've tried other configs and the list I'm using now (scroll down the army page a bit) has a team of Deathrain suits, but it's the Fireknife that I always come back to.

Also, at the risk of having a n00b moment... "MEQs?"

Indeed, I was thinking of EMPs. That's what I get for not having my 'Dex in front of me. I think I just proved that I don't use either type of grenade, though... Photons might be worth it if I KNOW I'm going to get charged (Nids, Orks, Ravenwing) but if one of my units that isn't my Command team gets into an assault, it's probably doomed no matter what.

My usual tables are either 6'x8' or 7'x10', so D Pods are priceless for me. But even on smaller tables, you can effectively cut those Missile Launchers and Bright Lances down a bit, so I'd still take them. The only weapons they have no effect against are things with a range of 24" or less, most of which can't hurt the Hammerhead anyway. Besides, what the blazes is a tank with a gun that big doing within 24" of an enemy in the first place?
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

+ Reply to Thread