1000 pt vs. Imperial Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

1000 pt vs. Imperial Guard

I'm facing an IG player (a new guy, being coached by a more experienced one). I've tailored a list that I think will prove to be reasonably effective (but also somewhat handicapped) against IG. Most of the tactical decisions are going to be made by the new player (the other IG player is along for the ride, and to point out any glaring tactical blunders the New Fish makes, and offer suggestions).

My list is designed to handicap me somewhat against the Imperial Guard, but still be dangerous if not taken seriously. It's also designed to be relatively synapse-free

HQ:
    Brood Lord
    w/ Acid Maw, Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs, Flesh Hooks and a retinue of 8 Genestealers (no upgrades)

Troops:
    8 Genestealers (no upgrades)

Heavy Support
    3 Biovores w/ Bio Acid Mines

Elites
    1 Lictor

Fast Attack
    Toxin Spore Mine Cluster (1 spore mine)

The end cost is exactly 1,000 points.

I'm going to be hurting with no Gaunt swarms. I expect it.
    Comments are definitely welcome though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as u're taking the list at a handicap then i don't see why u should change it. it has a lot of close combat potential, so it'll be up to the IG player on how to deal with it, which will be a good and steep learning curve for him if he screws it up. just hug cover and u should to alright. when u get into combat u've pretty much won it. good luck and happy hunting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

I'm actually worried about the biovores, though. From a fluff standpoint, my army needs them (Hive Fleet Basilisk is very artillary-happy, because it's highly effective on the Hive World of Basilisk to float spore mines up ventilation shafts), but I'm worried that without synapse support they'll just be driven off the table.

I guess it's a risk I'll have to take. I'll let you know how this plays out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool. yeah the biovors are fairly fragile, but hopefully u can get some shots off first and disrupt their firing lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm, I wouldn't take a genestealer army VS a guard army, unless of course that guard army is purely troops. I mean, 300 guardsmen. Their FoC would make sure that they don't rapid fire, and those many rending claw attacks will kill lots of guardsmen, even when they roll to hit!

If it's a tank army, sure, you may be thinking "great, all my rending attacks against that tough armour, easy!". Don't. A normal IG army would have anywhere from 1 to 5 tanks. These are the badboy tanks of WH40K, with ordanance, high strength and high AP. Against even the toughest of genestealers, who may have 4+ save, they only have 1 wound each. Your IG friend will remind you of this when his 5 or so tanks fire 5 ordanance markers into your army. That's potentially 5 dead squads per turn (with the troops firing at any survivors).

Then again, its only a 1000pt battle, in which case he should pack loads of troops (they can have 300 men, you know!!) My suggestion is - either take some gaunts, gargoyles, or a Carnifex. It won't die in a hurry, and, with T 7, the lasguns can hurt it, let alone the guardsmen in combat
    "If a ninja does anything anywhere it won't make a sound, but if it does it's probably gonna be the last sound you hear."

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

One of my friends play IG and is actually using two tanks and a mortar team in his 1000 pts list, so you better be prepared for them, and yes you are with your lots of stealers, but then again if you face an IG army which is build up in the other way...... them, you will be facing an army which is just as swarmy as a bugs army could be.

I will say that against IG you will need a HT with either BS or VC and some gaunts... atleast one well-fielded brood (20) to run in the front and make way for your stealers to get close to the tanks.

IMO the lonely lictors isn't that much use so I would probably skip it, but I like your Bioveres, they are IMO an units which is usefull, but nearly noone uses them
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

As I said, the list was designed to handicap me, but still provide enough "claws and fury" to punish a new IG player if he made too many tactical blunders (he had an advisor, giving him tips).

I was in close combat by turn two (4' x 4' table). The lictor made reserves that turn, and kept an entire brood of Genestealers alive by shock value alone.

The biovores I took to help show him how barrage weapons worked, and to give me some range. They actually pinned a stormtrooper squad for a turn (kept them from firing at anything useful).

Two Leman Russes and three sentinals were present, and were the reason why I eventually lost, but not before totally annihilating every troops choice on the field (and a sentinal, hehe).

Funniest scene of the battle: Leman Russ fires its battlecannon at an as-yet unattacked group of Genestealers hiding in a blast crater. The shot hits directly, and hits all the genestealers directly... and they all make the cover save and survive the attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, sounds like u had a good time. woot, go cover saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Yeah, even our advisor broke down laughing (I had just suggested to the IG guy that he might want to use the heavy bolters instead of the battle cannon, as they'd have a better chance of wounding a few). Kablam! smoke clears... none of the genestealers are even scratched... oh yeah, he got assaulted by my as-yet untouched Brood Lord on the next turn. (he wanted to kill the closer brood first.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like a great game. i just had an awesome one last night. i comepletely out shot, with nids mind u, an imperial guard army with i think 5 tanks and a sentinel. it was pretty hillarious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast