[1500] Tyranid (Lightning) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1500] Tyranid (Lightning)

Here is my latest spawn:

Hive Fleet ____ (name's in the works)

-HQ-
    Hive Tyrant w/Adrenal Glands (WS), Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons, Venom Cannon, Catalyst
    Cost: 184 points

Hive Tyrant Retinue: 2 Tyrant Guards
    Cost: 90 points

Broodlord
    Cost: 70 points

Broodlord Retinue: 5 Genestealers
    Cost: 80 points

-TROOPS-
    6 Genestealers w/Scuttlers
    Cost: 114 points

6 Genestealers
    Cost: 96 points

20 Hormagaunts w/Adrenal Glands (I), Toxin Sacs
    Cost: 260 points

-FAST ATTACK-
    14 Gargoyles
    Cost: 168 points

-HEAVY SUPPORT-
    Carnifex w/Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Scything Talons, Venom Cannon
    Cost: 161 points

Total: 1483 points, 76 models, 86 Wounds
    ----
    The initial strategy with this list is pretty much the same as just about any other 'Nid list: get into assault ASAP.

Keeping the Hormies in line: I plan on doing this by infiltrating my Broodlord only as far as it takes for my Hormagaunts to get out of the Hive Tyrant's Synapse. I threw a lot of points into protection for my Hive Tyrant and, as such, I expect him to stay alive for a good while. This means that my creatures will always have him to fall back to should worse come to worse and they are cut off from Synapse.

The Gargoyles are there to either take out enemy artillery, heavy weapons teams threatening my MCs, or aid in the assault being led by my Hormagaunts, Scuttling Genestealers and Broodlord.

Unfortunately, there isn't much to this list other than that. It shouldn't do bad, though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi looks good but make the Genestealers 1 6 is too small

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 Steet
    Here is my latest spawn:

Hive Fleet ____ (name's in the works)

-HQ-
    Hive Tyrant w/Adrenal Glands (WS), Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons, Venom Cannon, Catalyst
    Cost: 184 points

Hive Tyrant Retinue: 2 Tyrant Guards
    Cost: 90 points

Broodlord
    Cost: 70 points

Broodlord Retinue: 5 Genestealers
    Cost: 80 points

-TROOPS-
    6 Genestealers w/Scuttlers
    Cost: 114 points

6 Genestealers
    Cost: 96 points

-FAST ATTACK-
    14 Gargoyles
    Cost: 168 points

-HEAVY SUPPORT-
    Carnifex w/Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Scything Talons, Venom Cannon
    Cost: 161 points

Total: 1483 points, 76 models, 86 Wounds
    ----
    The initial strategy with this list is pretty much the same as just about any other 'Nid list: get into assault ASAP.

Keeping the Hormies in line: I plan on doing this by infiltrating my Broodlord only as far as it takes for my Hormagaunts to get out of the Hive Tyrant's Synapse. I threw a lot of points into protection for my Hive Tyrant and, as such, I expect him to stay alive for a good while. This means that my creatures will always have him to fall back to should worse come to worse and they are cut off from Synapse.

The Gargoyles are there to either take out enemy artillery, heavy weapons teams threatening my MCs, or aid in the assault being led by my Hormagaunts, Scuttling Genestealers and Broodlord.

Unfortunately, there isn't much to this list other than that. It shouldn't do bad, though.
    Couple of points
    1 the Hormies and Gargs are very fast and they are going to outpace your Tyrant or Broodlord (the only synapse you have), your going to have real problems with instinctive behaviour.
    2 You have a unit of Stealers without Scuttle, find the extra 18 points from somewhere and give them scuttle, you will have two units that can get in to CC quick, rather than 1 hanging back.
    Your list is not that good for CC as I said the Hormies and Gargs will be in combat and relying on their very poor LDS to avoid running away (you need some synapse to keep up with them). your Stealers are very small units and will not be able to do enough damage in the 1st round of combat (I always take max 12 units).
    The Carnie is a mix and they are slow either make him shooty or CC. I use a barbed strangler on mine simply to kill as much infantry as possible.
    For me I would give the Tyrant wings and Scything talons with warp field and get him into CC fast wher he can support the Hormies and Gargs and do some damage.
    Lost the Tyrant guard and either take some Warriors or bulk out the Stealers numbers and give em scuttle, me I would bulk out the Stealers.

Main thing though sort out the Synapse issue and get some more CC effectiveness into the list. because as it stands its a bad CC list (dont mean to be critical just honest)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse is no issue here. As stated, I plan on infiltrating my Broodlord and his retinue only as far as it takes my Hormagaunts to run outside of my Hive Tyrant's Synapse, which I wouldn't bank on happening as what I do with my gaunt broods is stretch them out in a line originating from the nearest Synapse Creature -- the brood needs at least one creature under the influence of Synapse for them all to function.

I don't believe the Gargoyles being outside of Synapse will be a problem at all. The chances of them failing their Instinctive Behavior tests aren't against me.

6 Genestealers not charging will total 12 attacks. 2 of which will be Rending, and 6 more that will hit. That may not be much in comparison to what my Hormagaunts will be able to produce, but I'm perfectly fine with that. As long as everything hits as one, writhing mass my strategy should hold.

A more in-depth look at how my army works:
    I set my Hive Tyrant up in the center of my deployment zone and essentially set everything else up around him. Whichever flank attacks earliest is followed through with the rest of my army. The Hormagaunt broods are so large that I will be fully able to engage two enemy units at once. Focusing on the weaker of the two, my Hormagaunts will proceed to wipe them out. Afterwards, they will pile-in and tie up the second unit -- effectively plugging it and preventing shooting casualties.

The size of my army is very large, but because it is faster it will sustain far less incoming fire. I must admit, though, that this strategy works much better in my 1850 pt list with an additional Carnifex, 8 Genestealers to a brood, and 24 Hormagaunts to a brood.

Oh, and my 'fex is by no means mixed with the intention of cutting foes down in CC. It's mission is to shoot and not stop. I just don't want to take a Barbed Strangler because of the fact that it costs a considerable amount and also I don't want to have to convert it so that it doesn't look lame (two guns on the right side of the body).
    Last edited by 1337 Steet; September 23rd, 2005 at 06:51.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Synapse is no issue here. As stated, I plan on infiltrating my Broodlord and his retinue only as far as it takes my Hormagaunts to run outside of my Hive Tyrant's Synapse, which I wouldn't bank on happening as what I do with my gaunt broods is stretch them out in a line originating from the nearest Synapse Creature -- the brood needs at least one creature under the influence of Synapse for them all to function.
    Sorry but synapse is a big issue here. Heres the problem your relying on two synapse creatures, the Tyrant and BG will draw fire and BG are not much cop now given the mixed armour and majority rules and your compounding the problem because your setting him up in the centre of your deployment zone. Your taking an expensive Broodlord and then restricting his movement so he can stay close to your Hormies, Also your restricting your Hormies movement, I know its ok in theory to keep your Hormies within Synapse but the game can often change things very quickly, for instance a pile in move in CC can mean your Hormies move out of Synapse.
    If you want to rely on such a low Synapse count thats your choice, but you lose just one you have problems.
    Any player worth his salt will prioritise and take out one or both of the Synapse and then your in trouble.

I don't believe the Gargoyles being outside of Synapse will be a problem at all. The chances of them failing their Instinctive Behavior tests aren't against me.

6 Genestealers not charging will total 12 attacks. 2 of which will be Rending, and 6 more that will hit. That may not be much in comparison to what my Hormagaunts will be able to produce, but I'm perfectly fine with that. As long as everything hits as one, writhing mass my strategy should hold..
    OK the gargoyle point is a bit silly, relying on a low LDS is never a good idea.
    The Stealers again they rely on decimating an opponent in the 1st round of CC at least to remove as much return attacks as possible, I have used reduced brood numbers before and it just does not work well, your taking to much away from the Stealers strentgh (high INT, high number of attacks and rending) I have destroyed whole marine units with 12 stealers thats just not usually possible with 6.IMO your 6 strong unit is a waste of points.

A more in-depth look at how my army works:
    I set my Hive Tyrant up in the center of my deployment zone and essentially set everything else up around him. Whichever flank attacks earliest is followed through with the rest of my army. The Hormagaunt broods are so large that I will be fully able to engage two enemy units at once. Focusing on the weaker of the two, my Hormagaunts will proceed to wipe them out. Afterwards, they will pile-in and tie up the second unit -- effectively plugging it and preventing shooting casualties.

The size of my army is very large, but because it is faster it will sustain far less incoming fire. I must admit, though, that this strategy works much better in my 1850 pt list with an additional Carnifex, 8 Genestealers to a brood, and 24 Hormagaunts to a brood.

Oh, and my 'fex is by no means mixed with the intention of cutting foes down in CC. It's mission is to shoot and not stop. I just don't want to take a Barbed Strangler because of the fact that it costs a considerable amount and also I don't want to have to convert it so that it doesn't look lame (two guns on the right side of the body).
    I dont doubt your a reasonably experienced player, but setting your Tyrant up in the center of the field and relying on a couple of Guards to keep him alive is not tactically sound,if you lose him which can be accomplished very easily your stuffed.
    Your list is actually not that big and can be disrupted very very easily (and anyway it does not mater how big the list, if you cant keep the numbers under control the numbers mean nothing).
    Hormies are not meant to wipe units out and dont do it particularly well, they are meant to tie up units while the big boys get close (Stealers, Tyrants, Warriors etc) and you dont have much big stuff in reserve.

Your army is simply not CC effective, the Carnie is fine if your using it for shooting.
    I only offer my humble opinion, but I have a lot of experience with nids, and my 2000pt is solely CC orientated with a large number of Stealers, but I have still made sure I have enough Synapse to keep up with and control my Hormies (and I only have 30 in units of 10), I take a winged Tyrant, 6 Winged Warriors and a Broodlord and thats just for 30 Hormies, I never have to take INST behaviour tests and it means I know I can rely on my Hormies to do the job. plus I take 2 full strentgh Stealer units and a retinue, I dont really need as much synapse as you but I dont take chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. You need at least some warriors (everyone does). They're pretty good shooters and close combat fighters. I'd also take a lictor to back up your broodlord and gargoyles, or a Zoanthrope to help the carnifex bust tanks and share synapse. Those hormagaunt broods are a bit too expensive to what I'm used to playing with. You could make them both basic Hormagaunt broods, save 200pts, spend 65 on a Zoanthrope, 80pts on a Lictor and with the remaining 55pts, take either upgrades for one squad of the Hormagaunts or 5 rippers. They don't need synapse, and are pretty damn hard to kill in combat.
    "If a ninja does anything anywhere it won't make a sound, but if it does it's probably gonna be the last sound you hear."

+ Reply to Thread