[2000 pt] Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[2000 pt] Tyranids

I have played 2nd, 3rd, 4th Edition Tyranids but I have yet to play with the new codex. Let me know what you think of this 2000 pt list.

HQ:

[247]
    Hive Tyrant:
    Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon
    +Tyrant Guard Retinue (x2)

[266]
    Brood Lord:
    Toxin Sacs, Extended Carapace
    +Genestealer Retinue (x11)

Elites:

[240]
    Lictor (x3):

[126]
    Tyranid Warriors (x3):
    Leaping, Scything Talons, Extended Carapace, Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (ws)
    +1 of the warriors also has: Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Venom Cannon

[126]
    Tyranid Warriors (x3):
    Leaping, Scything Talons, Extended Carapace, Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (ws)

Troops:

[80]
    Gaunt Brood (x16):
    Spinefists

[80]
    Gaunt Brood (x16):
    Spinefists

[160]
    Hormagaunt Brood (x16):

[160]
    Hormagaunt Brood (x16):

Fast Attack:

[114]
    Raveners (x3):
    Scything Talons x2

Heavy Support:

[173]
    Carnifex:
    Enhanced Senses, Venom Cannon, Barbed Stranger, Extended Carapace

[195]
    Zoanthrope (x3):
    Warp Blast, Synapse Creature

Total: 1967

What I like about my list is that I have deep strike, infiltration, anti-tank, CC... my gut tells me to drop a lictor and the raveners and get another Carnifex...

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Overall a pretty good list, but some suggestions to take or leave as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by warPEZ
    I have played 2nd, 3rd, 4th Edition Tyranids but I have yet to play with the new codex. Let me know what you think of this 2000 pt list.

HQ:

[247]
    Hive Tyrant:
    Good shooty tyrant without going overboard on biomorphs.

[266]
    Brood Lord:
    +Genestealer Retinue (x11)
    I would lower the retinue size to 6-8 (hard to infiltrate so many and keep along cover), and also give them extended carapace... Need saves against all the ap5 weapons out there.

Elites:

[240]
    Lictor (x3):
    I've only used Lictors a few times and didn't care for them much. Can take several turns to get them into the fight, and even when they arrive, they are very fragile. Only 2 wounds for an 80 point model, hard to justify them. 1 can be okay, but I wouldn't take 3. If you remove 2 of these, you almost have another shooty fex, which I find quite a bit more valuable on the field.

[126]
    Tyranid Warriors (x3):
    First, warriors need 2 weapons.

Leaping warriors are great, though, and I'd recommend taking Rending Claws as the second weapon. I use two squads of Leaping / Scything / Rending / EC / AG-I warriors and find them very useful.

Drop the shooty warrior, though. If you want one with a venom cannon, have it in a completely shooty-based squad, it's bad to mix the two. Either you'll have the warriors shooting and not in CC wasting the CC biomorphs, or you'll be assaulting and wasting the venom cannon.

[126]
    Tyranid Warriors (x3):
    Same as above.

Troops:

[80]
    Gaunt Brood (x16):
    Spinefists

[80]
    Gaunt Brood (x16):
    Spinefists

[160]
    Hormagaunt Brood (x16):

[160]
    Hormagaunt Brood (x16):
    Good swarm fodder. I'd add two extended carapace genestealer squads in there, though. Perhaps from the lowered broodlord retinue, dropped shooty warriors, and/or dropping 1 of the zoans. They'll give some extra oomph against power armor opponents, and can even be used to take out enemy tanks with rending attacks as a last resort.

Fast Attack:

[114]
    Raveners (x3):
    Scything Talons x2
    I like raveners.. Need to be careful and have them hug cover since they're very vulnerable to shooting, but they can be very nice fast attacks. I'd recommend, though, taking scything talons + rending claws instead of double scything. Also, taking them in 3 squads of 1 can make them tougher to wipe out by forcing different units to fire all at one at a time. Deploying normally might be worth it, too. Deep striking them is viable, though, if you have 1 lictor so you can reroll the reserves. Personally I prefer having control of them from the start.

Heavy Support:

[173]
    Carnifex:
    Perfect fex. I'd try to take two of them, though.

[195]
    Zoanthrope (x3):
    A lot say zoan's are weak due to 1 shot with mediocre BS, but I take 2 and like them. One of the few ap3's we have, with the ability to take down land raiders at the same time. Also some good extra synapse support. Perhaps drop one of these to try to fit in some genestealers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also have to say a fairly descent list. moob's comments are quite good ones. If u drop 2 lictors, 1 zoan, shooty warriors (saving 30 pts?) and reducing stealer squad to 8 with EC, u have 271 pts free. u could add an dakka fex (X2 Tl dev. ES) for 113pts and be able to have 8 more stealers with EC, 160pts. giving u 273pts spent.

the other option (well one of many)with the 271 free points, and seeing that u have 1 shooty tyrant and fex already, is to drop the BL retinue to 5 (or 6 and free points form somehwere else)(with EC) leaving 331 pts free, then having 2 squads of 8 stealers.

u could do that, or not, it's up to u, i think the extra rending attacks and number could serve u well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...

Your warrior squads aren't legal.

All of the warriors in a single squad must have the SAME Biomorphs. You can have different weapons on them, but you can't give Enhanced Senses to one and not the others.

B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love all of your comments, thank you.

My comments:

Lictors: This is a case of me loving a concept too much and wanting 3 models! I love the idea of the Lictor but I was thinking a lot about how they might be fragile which is something I don't know from experience with the new Codex. I do want to have 1.

Zoanthropes: So reducing myself by 1 tank killing weapon is not bad? I guess what you guys are saying is that you still have to hit with that weapon... which is why I was taking 3... to increase the liklihood that I get some hits. I think I may reduce this squad by 1.

Warriors: Yes my warriors are illegal, I worked on this list too much yesterday and started to get sloppy! What's funny is I had no Venom Cannon for most of the time I was writing the list but I added it on as the last step (and making the squad illegal, oops) because I was afraid I didn't have enough tank killing. I'll go back to my CC only Warriors. I am more comfortable with them and it looks like if I remove some unnecessary models I can get something big that can take out a tank.

Genestealers: I am glad everyone wants my list to have genestealers. I have loved these models for the history of this game. In that last codex I played with 36 of them. The reason I didn't take more? It seems that people think they are way too expensive. That's why I decided to get my genestealer fill my maxing out the Broodlords retinue. I agree that I can reduce that to be a more effective infiltrator and then get two genestealer squads to go behind my waves of gaunts and hormagaunts. (plus I have 36 of these already painted )

Now a few questions:

Do you use rending that much to take down tanks? Enough to consider it a tank killing weapon when you're thinking about army balance?

Do you use ripper swarms? I like the concept of more cheap cannon fodder and you can use them to tie up squads in CC...

Are genestealers worth the points? I think so and maybe that's the answer to my question.

Thanks again, this has helped a bunch.

_PEZ

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Zoanthropes: So reducing myself by 1 tank killing weapon is not bad? I guess what you guys are saying is that you still have to hit with that weapon... which is why I was taking 3... to increase the liklihood that I get some hits. I think I may reduce this squad by 1.
    Dropping one isn't going to break your AV, I would try to add a second fex in there, though. Even if it's just a double TL-Dev+Enh Senses fex for 113 pts (great for skimmers) and not a VC-BS one.

Now a few questions:

Do you use rending that much to take down tanks? Enough to consider it a tank killing weapon when you're thinking about army balance?
    Not really. I've done it several times before, but don't normally go out of my way to assault tanks with rending attacks... Not unless they're stationary, otherwise it's not worth it (4+ or 6's to hit, depending on their speed, then rending needs another 6 on penetration roll). Vehicles don't lock your troops, which can be good (can get extra movement in assault phase if they are ahead of you, and if you fail to kill it first turn, you can move on)... or can be dangerous (you can still be shot at on your opponent's turn).

Do you use ripper swarms? I like the concept of more cheap cannon fodder and you can use them to tie up squads in CC...
    I haven't used them before, so can't comment on rippers much. I just wasn't too fond of the vulnerable to blasts and instant killable T3.

Are genestealers worth the points? I think so and maybe that's the answer to my question.
    Genestealers are great. Try to keep them cheap, though, they don't need much. Only biomorph I give them is Extended Carapace.. Though I've been toying with going with a genestealer heavy list and giving some scuttle. For now I just use EC, though.

Thanks again, this has helped a bunch.
    Glad we could be of service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Enhanced (and much stronger) LIST!

[2000 pt] Tyranids (REVISED, version 2)

HQ:

[247]
    Hive Tyrant:

[190]
    Brood Lord:
    +Genestealer Retinue (x5)
    Extended Carapace

Elites:

[80]
    Lictor (x1):

[113]
    Tyranid Warriors (x3):
    Leaping, Scything Talons x2, Extended Carapace, Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (WS)

[113]
    Tyranid Warriors (x3):
    Leaping, Scything Talons x2, Extended Carapace, Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (WS)

Troops:

[120]
    Genestealers (x6)
    Extended Carapace

[120]Genestealers (x6)
    Extended Carapace

[80]
    Gaunt Brood (x16):
    Spinefists

[80]
    Gaunt Brood (x16):
    Spinefists

[160]
    Hormagaunt Brood (x16):

[160]
    Hormagaunt Brood (x16):

Fast Attack:

[120]
    Raveners (x3):
    Scything Talons and Rending Claws

Heavy Support:

[173]
    Carnifex:

[113]
    Carnifex:
    Enhanced Senses, Twin-Linked Devourer x2

[130]
    Zoanthrope (x2):

Total: 1999

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x6)

[113]
    Tyranid Warriors (x3):

[113]
    Tyranid Warriors (x3):
    These are actually 114 pts each. And I'm assuming the last +1 warrior w/VC was something supposed to be removed. Otherwise, there's one more little change I'd make to them: Trade the AG-WS to upgrade one of your scything talons to rending claws (same total point cost doing this). You'll lose one attack and hit on 4's instead of 3's, but 6's to hit will auto-wound with no save. And trust me, against power armor, you'll want that rending.

Consider a simple scenario of a squad of warriors charging a squad of standard marines...
    AG-WS+Scythingx2:
    - 15 attacks, hitting on 3's (2/3 hit)... 10 hits, wounding on 4's (1/2 wound), so on average, 5 wounds. They then get a save of 3+, so 1/3 will get through. You'll average 1&2/3 dead per combat round.

Scything+Rending:
    - 12 attacks, hitting on 4's (1/2 hit, with 1/3 of those being rending hits)... 6 hits with 2 rending. So now wounding on 4's (1/2 wound) with the normal hits gets you 2 wounds, of which against a 3+ save, 1/3 will get through. You'll average 2&2/3 dead per combat round. Assuming I didn't botch the math, that's one extra marine per round.

Additionally, lucky rolls with rending hits cannot be saved by lucky armor saves. :tongue:

Either way, you'll be at 2001 points. If you want to get under, you can drop one of the gaunts and add flesh hooks to the brood lord in case he charges someone in cover to get back at 1999. Then flesh hooks for one of the fex is always a good way to spend that last point.

As you play, keep track of how each of your units handles themselves. Just remember, your gaunts are not really there to earn their points back, but to keep your other units from getting shot as much as possible. If you find you have more than you need to handle the job, consider trading some for extra genestealers until you find a good balance.

Otherwise, looks great!

Let us know how it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah it looks much better now. now that u have 4 TMC it'll mean that they will last longer, giving time to kill more stuff. good work and happy hunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next post will be the 1500 and 1000 point lists.

+ Reply to Thread