1000 tau versing marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 tau versing marines

im going to verse a friend of mine and he uses marines very well, that was when i was a noob, he beats me everytime. now its time to settle the scores.

he uses
    force commander w/ terminator armour, powerfist, storm bolter and termie honours
    with 4 to 5 termies with no special weapons.

elites
    dreadnought w/ rockets and las i think ot assualt cannon and powerfist.

troops
    10 marines w/ rocket and plasmagun, veteran.
    10 marines w/ rocket and plasmagun veteran

Fast attack
    (x) Landspeeder with heavy bolter i dont know how many hes got so i wrote X for those who do algebra. 'X' is a variable to it can mean basicly anything reasonable

heavy Support
    10 devastator squad w/ 2 lascannons and 2 rocket launchers i think

all i know its total points are 1000points

this is his list, he told me about. might be incorect or correst i dont really know.

my list.

Hq:
    shas'el w/ plasma rifle, missile pods and multi tracker 85pts

elites:
    6 stealths 180pts
    1 fire knife suit 65pts
    1 fire knife suit 65pts

Troops
    12 fire warriors 120pts
    12 fire warriors 120pts
    devil fish w/ multi tracker, decoy launchers and targetting array. 100pts

Heavy support
    broadside w/ 2 shield drones, shas'vre and h/w multi tracker 115pts
    ion head, with burst cannons, multi tracker, decoy launchers and target lock 150pts

total 1000 points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ReaverRider
    Troops
    12 fire warriors 120pts
    12 fire warriors 120pts
    devil fish w/ multi tracker, decoy launchers and targetting array. 100pts

Heavy support
    broadside w/ 2 shield drones, shas'vre and h/w multi tracker 115pts
    ion head, with burst cannons, multi tracker, decoy launchers and target lock 150pts

total 1000 points
    Alright list looks solid, but what I would suggest.

drop the fish's multi and TA (15). Don't really need it, doesnt help all that much
    Two firewarriors from the unmounted squad (20). Need the points.

Drop the broadside (115), yes they are good but your not fighting any really heavy armor
    Drop the target lock on the hammerhead, switch it to disruption pod.

Alright, thats 150 extra points,

Hammerhead
    Ion Cannon
    Burst Cannons
    Multitracker
    Decoy
    Disruption pods

You now have 6 AP 3 shots a turn, not much is going to stand up to that, they can also deal with the Dreadnaught and Speeder w/ out to much trouble. The Termies can be brought down easily enough with plasma weapons. Stealth suits will force enough wounds that marines will start failing armor saves.

This is assuming you have a second Hammerhead, there quite useful so I would suggest in investing in a second, if you dont.

Good luck
    Who brings a Hammerhead to a 500 point fight?!
    -Local 'Nid Player

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Mr. Badger makes a very good point, the second Hammer head will REALLY help you deal with the 3+ armor save, try and use your Suits to blast the small-ish command squad, they they can move on, course if there command squad is at the back of the pack, use them to pummel some other targets whille the HQ gets close.

And the real trick IMO is to try and move all you units up a flank, and with some tricky deployment, you might be able to get your opponent to spread his forces out. Heres how you do it:
    A] hope he has to deploy his heavy support first, as if he does, you can place your Hammerheads well out of thier range and still get the chance to shoot them.

B] Deploy units who don't move fast (Unmounted FWs) close to the flank you want, everything else can move faster so you can deploy them farther away, thus it dosen't look like you are only taking that flank. You hammer heads can go anywhere, as they can still Move and shoot, they can move good and unleash hell hell.

I know this may be confusing, but try it if you like, it may or may not work, but thers still the element of luck!

The biggest secret to fighting SM IMO is to concentrate your fire, don't have all your units shoot at diffrent targets, he'll only have 3 squads that are coming at you, the Devastators should be ignored unit they start getting too close, then before they comeinto range, get your Hammerheads to shoot them for at least one turn, damaging them.

So really you only have to take out 3 SM Squads, sure one is in Termie Armor, but its a small one! The Dread shouldn't be too big of a problem, as it only gets off 1 shot a turn, take it out at your convienance. You'll be real lucky if those landspeeders don't have Assualt Cannons on them. if they don't, take them out whenever you can. If they do, you mak lost one of your Hammerheads to rending shots, but next turn they should be scrap.

Well, sorry if I bored you, but thats my take on the situation.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i problem i dont have a second hammerhead . i dont want to buy another one until i really need it when new tau are being released.
    do gods exist in this world? or did man just made god in his image? if you do not agree answer this, why do we portrait gods as humans? why do our gods look like us? if gods are mighty and powerful then why do they look like the weak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being a guard player i know u need many more troops. With strength 5 and rapid fire terminators will eventualy fail there two plus save, and drop the hammerhead not in this small of a battle. Also u need steelth suits with that gun in tau that gets 3 shots ap1
    Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made.
    Otto von Bismarck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

Alright, a few things wrong here......

A] There is no weapon with AP1 other than the Railgun in the Tau armory.

B]
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedinabattletank
    drop the hammerhead not in this small of a battle.
    Since when was 1000 pts small? I'd take a Hammerhead(With Ion cannon) VS Space Marines even if it was 500 pts, we just don't have the high AP firepower needed other then Crisis suits

C]
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedinabattletank
    being a guard player i know u need many more troops. With strength 5 and rapid fire terminators will eventualy fail there two plus save
    Alright, it is true you shoot them enough and they will die, but chances are the'll be Deep Striking, so you may not get many chaces to shoot at them before your in assault.

D] the Tau Play differently From the IG, you guys need lots of troops cause thats all you have. We have other options.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but last time i versed a heavy termie army the railgun was very useful, it killed a predator, 8 scoutsand a squad of 10 termies in a different game.
    do gods exist in this world? or did man just made god in his image? if you do not agree answer this, why do we portrait gods as humans? why do our gods look like us? if gods are mighty and powerful then why do they look like the weak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

I'm not saying the RailGun is worthless, but when it comes to killing basic marines, the Ion Cannon wins out IMO.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or sheer might ofm the pulse rifle.

i used mech tau against necrons, and i moved my fishie up 12 and dropped a full squad of tau, they rapid fired 24 times into a squad of 12 necrons and killed them all. so i might do that to the marines

+ Reply to Thread