(1850) Fast list, by Tyranid terms... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

(1850) Fast list, by Tyranid terms...

Okay, I just recently had this idea for a Tyranid list, and I think it will work well, so I want to hear what you guys think. There are probably things I'll leave out, and I don't remember points costs(see my sig), so go ahead and comment to correct my values, and to evaluate this list.

HQ:

1 Hive Tyrant: Wings, Scything Talons, Bonesword and Lashwhip, Toxin Sacs, Reinforced Chitin, Warp Field. (I think this will cost around 200 points)

1 Broodlord: Scything Talons, Scuttlers (Extended Carapace?)
    9 Broodlord Retinue: Extended Carapace, Scuttlers (This should come out around 200 points total, I think...)

ELITES:

3 Lictors (240)

TROOPS:

15 Harmagaunts (hormagaunts without Ws upgrade, I think total cost is 9 pts/model, making it 135)

15 Harmagaunts (135)

15 Harmagaunts (135)

15 Harmagaunts (135)

15 Harmagaunts (135)

14 Harmagaunts (126)

FAST ATTACK:

4 Warriors: Wings, Scything Talons, Rending Claws ( I believe it's 34 pts/model, making the squad 136)

4 Warriors: Wings, Scything Talons, Rending Claws (136)

4 Warriors: Wings, Scything Talons, Rending Claws (136)

1849 (My club usually plays 1850 lists)

Now, to explain. I have 89 Harmagaunts, which move very fast, have a great weight in numbers, and can probably tie up the enemy on turn two. The leaping rule helps greatly with their effectiveness, the 3" instead of 2" can count for a lot. The Harmagaunts don't have the Ws upgrade due to...

Lictors. Lictors can terrain-strike, quickly putting them close to the enemy. By this time my Harmagaunts will be in cc, and the lictors can move to join. While Lictors aren't going to destroy armies on their own, the have FEEDER TENDRILS! I forget the range, but any unit within range will hit on threes, meaning that Ws4 on my Gaunts would be mostly pointless. Saving me points...

The Broodlord squad will infiltrate, and if it gets into cc, the enemy is going to have a wicked hard time killing it. If the enemy concentrates on the Broodlord, the rest of my army will do horrible damage. If they ignore my broodlord, they're gonna be in pain on turn two...

The Winged Tyrant is not there to win battles, rather, he is there for the Bone Sword. All models within 6" will have catalyst, including the Tyrant. This will greatly improve the damage dealing abilities of all of my nids. This, combined with the Lictors' feeder tendrils, is the reason that I did not upgrade my models with Adrenal Glands.

As for the Winged Warriors, they are always scary. Invulnerable to instakills, synapse, and rending.

All of the models in this list move frighteningly fast. The Broodlord squad with scuttlers has the potential for a 1st turn assault in the case of infiltration, which occurs in 2/3 of missions. Even if they do not get infiltrate, the rest of the army will be pressing forward, and if the enemy tries to destroy my Broodlord they will get caught by my Harmagaunts in turn two. The rest of my army will act as a shield for the slower moving Stealers, so that they will arrive as a full squad when they do (probably turn 3). The Lictor's terrain-strike will let them get into close combat quickly, and will keep the enemy on their toes for deployment. The Winged Tyrant and Winged Warriors move 12"/turn, and the Harmagaunts get FoC and a 12" assault.

All of these units will probably get a turn 2 assault, and each are devastating in close combat. I have a well-balanced amount of models and rending, despite high points costs.

Well, that's my idea, so what do you guys think?

My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edits to your list

Your Gaunt squads would each be 150 and the squad of 14 would be 10.

Also your Broodlord does not have scuttle and thus neither will his genestealers have that ability.....He also does not have FoC.

Everything in your army, except your Tyrant, lictors and your broodlord, will be ripped apart by bolter fire. But on the bright side hopefully you will only have to make it through only 2 rounds of full firing from your opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

I thought guant upgrades were: base+scything talons+leaping=4+2+3=9. Unless my math is wrong. I didn't realize the broodlord didn't have scuttlers or infiltrate, so I guess I'll be leaving the Broodlord out for more warriors. And, in theory, I'll only have to go through one round of bolter fire, as my models will be deployed out of range, and the winged units will be able to move 30" including assault, while the Harmagaunts will move 36" including assault with perfect rolls. Remember, I'm not using the increased Ws on the gaunts.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not with the new codex....a base hormie is now 10 pts.
    And your winged creatures will only move 12" with a 6" assault (if you are in range). Having wings doesn't mean that they fly....they are just counted as jump infantry.
    and the max move that your hormies will make will be 24 inches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus
    Now, to explain. I have 89 Harmagaunts, which move very fast, have a great weight in numbers, and can probably tie up the enemy on turn two. The leaping rule helps greatly with their effectiveness, the 3" instead of 2" can count for a lot. The Harmagaunts don't have the Ws upgrade due to...
    True, but don't expect them to kill much in CC. Even though they have better stats than normal Gaunts they're still not stellar in CC. Gaunts will get blown away by every troop weapon in the game. Terrain will be key for these guys.

Lictors. Lictors can terrain-strike, quickly putting them close to the enemy. By this time my Harmagaunts will be in cc, and the lictors can move to join. While Lictors aren't going to destroy armies on their own, the have FEEDER TENDRILS! I forget the range, but any unit within range will hit on threes, meaning that Ws4 on my Gaunts would be mostly pointless. Saving me points...
    I believe the range of feeder tendrils is only 2" so you'll have to really be a master of the movement phase to use this effectively. Once your opponent figures out the tactic lictors won't live too long.

The Broodlord squad will infiltrate, and if it gets into cc, the enemy is going to have a wicked hard time killing it. If the enemy concentrates on the Broodlord, the rest of my army will do horrible damage. If they ignore my broodlord, they're gonna be in pain on turn two...
    Yeah, but since the brood loses FoC you'll be moving 6" per turn. A good opponent will run away from them and blast away.

The Winged Tyrant is not there to win battles, rather, he is there for the Bone Sword. All models within 6" will have catalyst, including the Tyrant. This will greatly improve the damage dealing abilities of all of my nids. This, combined with the Lictors' feeder tendrils, is the reason that I did not upgrade my models with Adrenal Glands.
    As with the lictors, movement is the key to this tactic. Since most Tyranids have higher I than most other armies the bonesword really won't help much IMO.

As for the Winged Warriors, they are always scary. Invulnerable to instakills, synapse, and rending.
    These guys are scarey but expensive. For the points I usually take two stealers instead of a warrior as they offer more attacks and are more versatile. But if you need syanpse they're golden.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Gunslinger, you aren't listening. Forget about hormagaunts for a second. Take a base gaunt, give it scything talons and leaping. How much does that cost? I believe you'll find the answer to be nine points.

I realise the movement range for hormies and winged warriors.

LordCreampuff, thanks for the detailed analysis. I realise the 89 hormies won't be doing super-massive damage, but if I charge and get 3 attacks per model, within 3", even if I'm fighting MEQs they're bound to fail their saves. 45 attacks, hitting on 3s and wounding on 5s... I believe I'll kill 3 and 1/3 marines per turn. When stuck in combat, 2 and 2/9. The point of the hormies is to overwhelm the enemy with numbers, and to deal with low toughness poor save armies, such as IG, Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Orks. They also serve as a great shield.

I think I'll be removing the Broodlord and retinue now that I know their movement abilities. This will free up points for more winged warriors. I'll probably add 6, and take out a gaunt or two.

The bonesword/lashwhip combo is decent in my eyes, as it always allows attacks. Even if my hormy squad charges a squad in cover, if the Tyrant is nearby, they'll still get their attacks. Next turn, I'm stuck in and fighting in Initiative order. Also, against Striking Scorpion Mandiblasters, Banshees, Dark Eldar, and any other unit that will beat the guants to the punch, this will prove useful. The lashwhip can be good, as it will reduce the number of power fists being thrown at my Tyrant. Hidden power fists count as cc weapon/pistol, giving +1 attack. I want as few of those coming my way as possible.

I prefer Winged Warriors over Genestealers for their speed, synapse, and resilience. Thanks to the new synapse rules, my warriors can't be downed in a single shot, even if that shot is a railgun slug. Synapse will be great for my 89 guants as well. In addition to this good unit, they will get to the enemy frightfully fast.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Revised List:

HQ:
    Hive Tyrant: Wings, Scything Talons, Bonesword and Lashwhip, Toxin Sacs, Reinforced Chitin, Implant Attack, Warp Field (200-ish)

ELITES:
    3 Lictors (240)

TROOPS:
    4X15 Gaunts: Scything Talons, Leaping
    2X14 Gaunts: Scything Talons, Leaping

FAST ATTACK
    3X6 Warriors: Wings, Scything Talons, Rending Claws (3X204)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point IL, is that a gaunt must EITHER be a weapon symbiote gaunt OR a hormie, in the new codex the gaunts aren't even given the option to take scything talons NOR leaping.

Hormies and weapon gaunts now each have their own entry in the codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

hmm, I thought it was otherwise. I'll have to take your word for it for now. So, 10pts/model, 800 pts... K, I'd just take 80 hormies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK you have 80 hormagaunts, 18 warriors and HT.
    I love fast armies. I see 2 problems with this army.
    The first is why field so many hormagaunts. The reason I ask is hormagaunts are made to hold up the enemy until your good stuff arrives. In this case most of them will hit the same time. Hormagaunts are not good units in terms of winning assaults excepts against IG men. I would give your warriors at least argenal glands(I) for striking first. MEQ are int 4.
    The second problem is how are you going to handle tanks and skimmers. Most armies at least at tournments are vehicle heavy. For example against an MEQ army will see combination of landspeeders, predators, vincidator on average. The landspeeders will give you big trouble because will need a 6 hit and then another 6. Rending happens on next roll on vehicles. Since you do not have any guns.
    Bonekrusher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast