An odd list: 1000pts Tau Horde Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An odd list: 1000pts Tau Horde Army

A Tau Horde army...the idea has been circulating through my head and I finally decided to try to make an army list for one. 1000 Points seemed like a good amount; it isn't too small to be barely a horde army, whereas it isn't too big to have most of my opponents army to be invested into their best stuff (and where the FoC isn't a restriction; it is, the way I currently want to run a horde army). So, without further introduction, here it is:

Headquarters - 247 Points

Aun’shi
    Firewarriors Team –
    11 Shas'la
    Weapons - 6 Pulse Carbines, 5 Pulse Rifles
    Equipment - Photon Grenades
    1 Shas'ui
    Weapons - 1 Pulse Rifle
    Unit Total - 247pts

This is basically my squad for doing most of the grunt-work. They will be on the move, charging forward almost every turn (which is why I took so many carbines). Since they will be out in the field, I thought photon grenades would be helpful to keep the enemy's attacks minimal. They will also be a good scoring unit.

Troops - 602 Points

Firewarriors Team
    11 Shas'la
    Weapons - 11 Pulse Rifles
    1 Shas'ui
    Weapons - 1 Pulse Rifle
    Unit Total - 142pts

Firewarriors Team
    11 Shas'la
    Weapons - 11 Pulse Rifles
    1 Shas'ui
    Weapons - 1 Pulse Rifle
    Unit Total - 142pts

These two FW squads will be my firebase for static support. The photon grenades choice will be explained in my Kroot Carnivore squad descriptions.

Kroot Carnivores
    20 Kroot
    Weapons - 20 Kroot Rifles
    Equipment - None
    Unit Total - 140pts

This Kroot Carnivore squad will be the counter-charging unit for my nearly-defenseless (against fast CC threats) FWs. I gave the FWs photon grenades to allow them to survive the first round so that my Kroot can assault.

Kroot Carnivores
    10 Kroot
    Weapons - 10 Kroot Rifles
    Equipment - None
    Unit Total - 70pts

This squad of Kroot will be a pillbox unit, infiltrating into the enemy's lines and sitting in a forest. If they cannot infiltrate, they will be charging forward within about 6" of Aun'shi's squads. They are purely meant for annoyance and to support my HQ squad.

Human Auxiliaries
    12 Gue'vesa'la
    Weapons - 12 Lasguns
    Equipment - EMP Grenades
    Unit Total - 108pts

This squad will be my big-tank bustas. They will be targetting the AV 13-14 vehicles from the beginning of the game and attempt to take them out.

Heavy Support - 150 Points

Hammerhead
    1 Hammerhead
    Weapons - Ion Cannon, 2 Burst Cannons
    Equipment - Multi-tracker, Target lock, Decoy Launchers, Targetting Array
    Unit Total - 150pts

My Ionhead will be targetting any AV 11-12 (10 can be shredded by FWs) vehicles. It will be charging forward, supporting my HQ squad and taking down any heavy CC monsters.

Army Statistics
    Number of Units - 79
    Number of Vehicles - 1
    Static Squad Count - 3
    Mobile Squad Count - 3 (& 1 vehicle)
    Actual Point Total - 999pts

So, what do you think?

Last edited by Spinkycleft; January 21st, 2006 at 07:21.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

i like it. maybe ill try it out sometime
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

It looks good, with such a high model count and with nearly a half being able to Infiltrate, I'd say you got it good

You should be able to overwhel most opponants I think.

Also the Ionhead fits perfectly, it has some anti-tank in it, but it can without a thought turn it's guns on troops and have an Impact.

One question thoguht, whats a Targeting Display?

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox
    It looks good, with such a high model count and with nearly a half being able to Infiltrate, I'd say you got it good

You should be able to overwhel most opponants I think.

Also the Ionhead fits perfectly, it has some anti-tank in it, but it can without a thought turn it's guns on troops and have an Impact.

One question thoguht, whats a Targeting Display?

Mike
    Hah, sorry. I basically did this from memory of my codex, and meant to type "Targetting Array".

Thanks for the comment.

I was thinking whether or not to bump this list up to 1500. It might lose some of its momentum, though. If I was going to increase it, I'd get Anghkor Prok for my counter-charge unit. O well, just a random comment.

I still find my Tau army list without any Elites is a little funky, and a strange concept...

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Well you can always rtake Stealths as you expand, after a Railhead that is!

The Stealths Provide anougher way to keep the enemy from advancing too fast, with J-S-J your opponant will have the devote something to hunt down the Stealths, sends too little, and he'll have to send more, sends too much and you've taken off some heat from the rest of your army.

But in the end it's still up to you!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

i suggest taking a railhead instead of a ionhead,it will keep it fluffy but i think you need some more anti tank.you should drop all the photon grenades and pulse carabine,just make them plain FW swuads with shas'ui.hope that helped
    -A tau, dark eldar and slaanesh csm player
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by svalene
    i suggest taking a railhead instead of a ionhead,it will keep it fluffy but i think you need some more anti tank.you should drop all the photon grenades and pulse carabine,just make them plain FW swuads with shas'ui.hope that helped
    Thank you for your reply.

I do agree with you that I don't have enough anti-armor, but it is only 1000 points. How much anti-armor will I need? I have the mass of firepower from Pulse Rifles to shred the lighter transports, the ion-cannon to take out AV around 12 and bigger enemies (very important!), and the EMP grenades just as the ace in the hole. How much AV 12+ will they have in 1000 points? (not many power gamers in my area). Plus, against AV 10, 11, and 12, the ion cannon does better statistically than the railgun, and it has the bonus of not having one shot that is hit-or-miss. It is also very capable in taking down the enemy's HQ monsters, much better than the railgun (IMHO), and it is much cheaper which allows me to slip in some extra troops. I am open to change, but I don't see the need. I need some experience playing with this list to decide, however.

I disagree about the carbines and photon grenades. Carbines have a couple of advantages:
    - Longer range when on the move.
    - Pinning (not to be relied on, but it is nice)
    - Ability to shoot and charge into CC.

Now the last one is just crazy for Tau, but I plan on making the most of it. The disadvantages:
    - Less range when stable (don't plan on doing that)
    - Only 1 shot, no matter what

My HQ will be on the move, no matter what. Each firewarrior is basically a Kroot in CC with Aun'shi's Inspiring Prescense, with a few small statistics exchanged for a very nice save. Aun'shi is there, too, and can take down some average CC units. I find Carbines better for the style of play these guys will be.

Photon Grenades; sometimes I just can't charge or avoid those Fast Attack CC creatures, which is where the photon grenades help. When the enemy charges my Troop Firewarriors, the FWs will be slaughtered if they get that +1 bonus attack; if they get slaughtered, then my Kroot will have a hard time counter-assaulting (they might just consolidate into the Kroot). On my HQ squad, it is important. They are on the frontlines and much more likely to be assaulted; they also aren't half bad in CC, so they need to be given a good chance in CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

if you give a squad photon grenades they may survive the assualt on his turn and they will be killed on your turn,so on his next turn he will be able to asault another squad,if you don't give them grenades they will have more chances of dying on his turn so you rapid fire his ass on your turn.you shouldn't put your squad closer than 7inches from each other.the only times an ionhead does better than a railhead is agaisnt 10 and 11 AV,not 12,and in a 1000 point game you can exepct to get at least 1 13 or 14 AV on front,like your hammerhead,and if there is one well your gue'se'va will have trouble getting near it due to their slow movement,the enemy could easily make his tank go away and your guys won't catch them.that is why you should get one railhead over a ionhead(especially if you only have 1 hammerhead).about the carabines they ave some pros but the cons far outnumber them.other than that original list and it can do well while remaining fluffy
    -A tau, dark eldar and slaanesh csm player
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

As others have said, that list is going to have a big problem with armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

For help against anti armour maybe take out some stuff for a brodside; although, this would cut down on the amount of units you have making it less of a hoard :wacko:

+ Reply to Thread