[1850] "Fear" Army - Revamped - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

[1850] "Fear" Army - Revamped

Well, my original "Fear" army used - 3x Wraiths, 30x Warriors, 16x Flayed Ones, 8x Pariahs, the Deceiver, a Lord, and 2x Heavy Destroyers.

I'm going to see if I can get a few more units in there, such as Destroyers, and see what you all think of this - I realise that I will have some trouble against, say, Terminators... but most Necron lists do.. I'm not certain if this is better than my original list, so, I'll enter in where I made (significant) changes.

HQ

[1] Lord
    +Nightmare Shroud
    +Resurrection Orb
    +Gaze of Flame
    =185 points

[1] Deceiver
    =300 points

Troops

[10] Warriors
    =180 points

[10] Warriors
    =180 points

[10] Warriors
    =180 points

Elites

[10] Pariahs
    =360 points
    Added two Pariahs

[10] Flayed Ones
    =180 points
    Added two Flayed Ones, removed one Flayed Ones squad

Fast Attack

[3] Wraiths
    =123 points
    Combined the three Wraiths into one squad

[3] Destroyers
    =150 points
    Removed two Heavy Destroyers, added three Destroyers

Total Points: 1838
    Total Models: 58
    Phase Out: @12 (Kill 35)

Comments appreciated. I'm a bit worried at anti-tank, as I'm not sure if relying on the Gauss special rule is worth it... but, I'm hoping. If nothing else, keep in mind, this is a fun/friendly army, but I want it to be able to win sometimes, too.

Last edited by Lost Nemesis; January 23rd, 2006 at 23:14.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

well, a monolith is better than most of your army considering fear. Also destroyer squads are 3-5. And you should have a cheap lord, res orb will do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Orkimedes41792
    well, a monolith is better than most of your army considering fear. Also destroyer squads are 3-5. And you should have a cheap lord, res orb will do.
    I'm not taking a Monolith ... ever ... I have enough non-Necron units soaking up points.

I didn't notice that the Destroyers were 3-5.. I'll have to edit that.

And the Lord is reasonably cheap, compared to most Lords I see in lists around here. The Nightmare Shroud and Gaze of Flame both are additions to the "Fear" theme, and will be useful when used in conjunction with the other units.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

10 pariahs?
    10. Ouch. Big, expensive, scary unit. Would definately make me feel fear, at least for a little while... :shifty:

How were you planning on using the army in its current form? Could be useful for knowing what to suggest.

Personally, I'd go without the Deciever. Thats 300 pts of Necron-y goodness right there, which you could use to buy some more warriors and something else tasty, like some heavy destroyers or tomb spiders.
    Have you considered a solar pulse for your lord? If he goes with the Pariahs it could help keep them alive a bit longer, as they are probably going to be the center of attention for the enemy...

I also would like a few more 'corpses' in there, but I don't play necrons and therefore worry about casulties rather more than you lot probably do... :tongue:

Anyway, I really like the idea. I don't think I've ever seen a 'scary' necron army before, and yours seems to hit the nail on the head.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

The Deceiver and the Pariahs are actually the centerpieces of this army - the entire strategy is based on them, with the Flayed Ones and Lord acting as support.

Basically, use the Pariahs/Flayed Ones/Lord/Deceiver to force a lot of low-Ld morale checks on the enemy - instead of fighting them, make them run away.

My other army had two Heavy Destroyers in place of the three normal Destroyers, and had only 8 Pariahs, and another squad of 8 Flayed Ones. I'm not sure which one would fair better, though, as the Destroyers' firepower is a significant plus in this army, which does suffer from low model count.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Yer, I think, having looked at both of them, I prefer the first one you did.

It strikes me as more scary, and as a more playable option. I am pretty unfamilar with games of this size, and necrons, but I think that this second army is probably too small. Especially considering that against a really nasty shooty army it is concievable that you could be forced to phase out in the first couple of turns... Not so good.

I've just read the Decievers rules again, and I've changed my mind. Keep him in, and keep him behind the Pariahs, screwing up the enemies plans. Something else that might be nice is a veil of darkness for the lord, having him teleporting about the place could be really unpleasant, especially if you swap his warscythe back to a staff of light... Stick him with a unit of flayed ones, and shoot, charge, teleport, repeat.

You better damn well stick with this army, 'cos if you don't I might have to steal it from you...

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

251 (x8)

I think that that is a very good fear list.

I personally find that destroyers work best in squads of four (maybe drop a a pariah and flayed one) and it will make a nice increase to your long range firepower.

Otherwise that is a great list, hope it works out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you say that you have enough non necrons taking up points, but if you put in a monolith and use its awesome teleport abilities this also allows you to reroll your failed get back up rule plus and this being the most important you can pull models out of combat and shoot rapid fire with them! Also the ordinance is awesome which you can even use to target independent characters if you stick them under the center hole. On top of it all most people spend all of their fire power trying to take down the monolith and fail so it saves your troops from being fired at. Last you can use it to give cover to your pariahs which are way too expensive to get shot up.

I would also use a 5 man pariah squad instead of 10 and use the points for a monolith. Or take out the Deceiver 660 points of non necron models that dont help avoid phase out rule as apposed to monolith which really helps avoid phase out rule.

With this list all your enemy has to do is shoot at the warriors and the flayed ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmooth
    you say that you have enough non necrons taking up points, but if you put in a monolith and use its awesome teleport abilities this also allows you to reroll your failed get back up rule plus and this being the most important you can pull models out of combat and shoot rapid fire with them! Also the ordinance is awesome which you can even use to target independent characters if you stick them under the center hole. On top of it all most people spend all of their fire power trying to take down the monolith and fail so it saves your troops from being fired at. Last you can use it to give cover to your pariahs which are way too expensive to get shot up.

I would also use a 5 man pariah squad instead of 10 and use the points for a monolith. Or take out the Deceiver 660 points of non necron models that dont help avoid phase out rule as apposed to monolith which really helps avoid phase out rule.

With this list all your enemy has to do is shoot at the warriors and the flayed ones.
    Pariahs... + Deceiver... = theme of the army. I thought I made that quite clear.

5-man Pariah Squad = next to useless, in CC and shooting. Not survivable.

I'm not taking a Monolith, ever. Not my style.

Please, pay attention to theme before you just start suggesting "take out this main centerpiece unit, and add a Monolith"... I don't do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good List

I like it.

It has a good theme and I think will play well. It will certainly give most any army pause when they see what you are putting out there. Unless they are fearless, then it won't be AS effective, but still a force to be reckoned with, after all, Pariahs aren't just there for looks, they are pretty kick arse shooting AND in CC... Well, hopefully they get to strike first.

Anyways, if you do field this, let us know how it worked out, I would be very interested to hear.
    Ah, our brilliant President:

"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." —George W. Bush, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005

"Wow! Brazil is big." —George W. Bush, after being shown a map of Brazil by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brasilia, Brazil, Nov. 6, 2005

+ Reply to Thread