[2000] Godzilla list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

[2000] Godzilla list

Greetings! I'm brand new to the 'nids, been playing Chaos and Witch Hunters. Felt the urge to check out the original Zerg as it were Got rather interested in a 'zilla list, and would appreciate any ideas for tweaking and adjusting the list.

HQ (x2)
    Hive Tyrant
    +Adrenal Glands ( I only)
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Toxin Sacs
    +Venom Cannon
    +Barbed Strangler
    +Warp Field
    +Tyrant Guard x 3
    +Lashwhips replacing scything talons
    =[342]

Elite (x3)
    Carnifex
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Twin-linked Devourer x 2
    =[113]

Troop (x2)
    Ripper Swarm x 3
    +Spinefists
    +Enhanced Senses
    =[36]

Fast Attack
    Bio-Acid Spore Mine x 3
    =[36]

Fast Attack
    Bio-Acid Spore Mine x 2
    =[24]

Fast Attack
    Raveners x 3
    +Scything Talons & Rending Talons x 3
    +Deathspitter x 3
    =[138]

Heavy Support
    Zoanthrope x 3
    +Synapse x 3
    +Warp Blast x 3
    =[195]

Heavy Support (x2)
    Carnifex
    +Reinforced Chitin
    +Scythe Tail
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Extended Carapace
    +Spinebanks
    +Regenerate
    +Reinforced Chitin
    +Venom Cannon
    +Barbed Strangler
    =[253]

Total Points: 1,995
    Total Models: 30 (7 TMCs)

My thinking on the list:

I know, I'm one short of the standard 'zilla. But I think the zoanthropes should be able to make themselves worth while. The extra synapse is nice for avoiding insta-kills and passing Ld tests, and of course the triple warp blasts are nice. Should provide some additional anti-marine power.

I opted for rippers as my troops in part to just be different. But they also make cheap fodder for keeping assault troops from flanking my big gun fexes too quickly. And with the spine fists they can even help out against normal line troops if not otherwise occupied. For the most part, however, they're wound-fodder.

I picked up some Bio-acid mine clusters to drop in on any hard-to-reach armor units. Basilisks, Whirlwinds, indirect-shooting defilers... If no such targets are handy, they're still good for dropping some wounds onto armored enemy troops. And if I read thier rules correctly, they can deep-strike in contact with an enemy and just blow up when they do.

Some don't like the Stranglers on the Tyrants. I look at them as giving me a total of 4 pinning weapons all with at least decent strength. And it's still strong enough to do damage to MEQs without too much trouble. The venom cannons are an additional anti-tank weapon for the thinner targets. I have considered changing Warp Field to Psychic Scream + Extended Carapce and then marching the two tyrants side-by-side as a forward cover for all the rest of the army. But I'm not sure which way is better yet. I traded the scything talons on the guards for lash-whips so the unit can keep any heavy assault squads nice and tied up easily. Likewise the tyrants still got the adrenal glands so they strike before those pesky ICs people like to throw around.

Raveners provide some additional spot-damage with thier deathspitters, and also double as counter-assault units with thier great speed letting them leap into the fray to help any of the 'fexes that get charged, or to pile in on an inbound enemy CC squad after it gets some attention lavished by the shooty-fexes.

The Elite-fexes are pretty self-explanatory. They come in right behind or beside the tyrants to mow down anything that comes near. and they're still mean enough to help out in CC in a pinch (though really only when nothing worth shooting is in range). If I leave the Tyrants as they are, I may move the guards to join these fexes and leave a couple of them up front and the tyrants in back with the big gun-fexes to get the various weapon ranges a bit more consolidated.

I doubt there's much surprising about the Gun-fexes. Big, tough, walking, heavy weapon platforms. The tails give them a bit of extra comfort when they get attacked, and the spine-banks add a little extra cheap punch in close-ranges (and should be fun to model). Thing is, I'm not sure yet about Regeneration. If I dropped it from both, I could probably fit in an extra Ravener and finish out the second spore mine group. But on the other hand, it means they can take some extra pounding. And with so many TMCs around, if they don't drop from a single round of shooting, they can hide behind one of thier fellows for a turn to regen and pop shots at anything sticking it's head up.

Thoughts / advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Wow... either I did a good job on the list, or not much experience out there with a 'zilla list.

...either that, or I need to start offering cookies for advice / critiques. I'm not a good cook though, so that may not work as well as I'd hope :shifty:

Not sure where to stick those last few points, though. Maybe some flesh hooks for the gun-fexes to get around impassable terrain easily... or symbiote rippers for the tyrants since they're the ones most likely to get in combat.

*edit*
    Came up with a tweaked list after pondering my options for a bit.

HQ (x2)
    Hive Tyrant
    +Adreanal Glands (Initiative)
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Toxin Sacs
    +Venom Cannon
    +Barbed Strangler
    +Extended Carapce
    +Psychic Scream
    +Symbiote Rippers
    +Hive Tyrant Guard x 3
    +3 guards with Lashwhips replacing scything talons
    =[344]

Elite (x2)
    Carnifex
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Flesh Hooks
    +Twin-Linked Devourer x 2
    =[114]

Elite
    Lictor x 2
    =[160]

Fast Attack
    Ravener x 3
    +Scything Talon + Rending Talon x 3
    +Deathspitter x 3
    =[138]

Fast Attack (x2)
    Bio-Acid Spore Mine x 3
    =[36]

Troop (x2)
    Ripper Swarm x 3
    +Enhanced Senses +1BS
    +Spinefists
    =[36]

Heavy Support (x2)
    Carnifex
    +Reinforced Chitin
    +Scythe Tail
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Extended Carapace
    +Spinebanks
    +Reinforced Chitin
    +Venom Cannon
    +Barbed Strangler
    =[223]

Heavy Support
    Zoanthrope x 3
    +Synapse x 2
    +Psychic Scream x 1
    +Warp Blast x 3
    =[195]

Total Points: 1,999
    Total Wounds: ~75
    Total Models: 32 (6 MC)

I made a few tweaks to help round out the 'zilla list a little bit.

Did opt to go with the scream on the tyrants. Place both of them up front as a shield with the scream-equipped zoan right on thier heels. -3 Ld to anyone trying to charge and gotta test against the Horror. Don't need synapse on that one zoan since it's parked right between two huge synapse critters anyway.

Ditched a dakkafex and the regen on the gunfexes to put in a pair of lictors. These guys should be invaluable in the list. During an escalation game, they help bring the zillas in faster. And in any game people are likely to avoid cover a bit, making them bigger targets for the many guns I sport. They bring in the spore mines faster to take out annoying armoed targets in a timely fashion. And they can tie up some enemy heavy weapon squads or what have you for a bit, taking some heat off the zillas. Seemed to be a good trade for a single zilla and some upgrades.
    Last edited by Xardian; January 25th, 2006 at 16:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Xardian
    HQ (x2)
    Hive Tyrant
    +Adreanal Glands (Initiative)
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Toxin Sacs
    +Venom Cannon
    +Barbed Strangler
    +Extended Carapce
    +Psychic Scream
    +Symbiote Rippers
    +Hive Tyrant Guard x 3
    =[344]
    I don't like the AG(i) on these tyrants. It's really expencive for a shooting tyrant. Cut them out. Symbiotic rippers are cheap, but kinda usless on on MCs. Only moderataly useful on warriors really. No issues with the guard.

Elite (x2)
    Carnifex
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Flesh Hooks
    =[114]
    If you can, bring these back up to 3.

Elite
    Lictor x 2
    =[160]
    I like the addition of these guys. While 80 points is rather expensive for the lictors stats in combat, the uncertaintly and surprise these will bring in a Godzilla list will be useful.

Fast Attack
    Ravener x 3
    +Scything Talon + Rending Talon x 3
    +Deathspitter x 3
    =[138]
    I don't like these. They are really expensive and the only real thing your opponent will have to fire light weapons on. Cut them out as they really don't fit with this list.

Fast Attack (x2)
    Bio-Acid Spore Mine x 3
    =[36]
    These can be useful against basks or other tanks that will hide out of your LOS. It will also not alow your opponent to feel safe in his own deployment zone even if you hang back and shoot.

Troop (x2)
    Ripper Swarm x 3
    +Enhanced Senses +1BS
    +Spinefists
    =[36]
    You need troops, so here they are. I'm not sure I would spend any extra points on these as there will be a lot of anti troop firepower with nothing better to shoot on.

Heavy Support (x2)
    Carnifex
    +Reinforced Chitin
    +Scythe Tail
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Extended Carapace
    +Spinebanks
    +Reinforced Chitin
    +Venom Cannon
    +Barbed Strangler
    =[223]
    Scythe tail is a lot of points on this shooting fex. If you really want to improve the CC ability just use the mace tail as it is 1/3 the cost. Spine backs are OK, but easily cuttable if you need points for anything else. I assume you ment bonded exoskeleton rather then reinforced chitin twice.

Heavy Support
    Zoanthrope x 3
    +Synapse x 2
    +Psychic Scream x 1
    +Warp Blast x 3
    =[195]
    I like the addition of zoanthropes and with the 2+ armour save they have they certainly do fit into this list. Not sure that you really need synapse though, nothing in your army really calls for it except for the zoanthropes themselves. Taking more Psychic screams and keeping them near the tyrants might be an other idea.
    Last edited by xrix1; January 25th, 2006 at 18:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Hmm, yeah probably right on the Init for the Tyrants. I had given them that since they're the MCs most likely to be charged and put into CC. They don't have a lot of extra attacks, so I was just making sure they hit first. But it's certainly cut-able. The rippers only exist to help fill the last 5 points I had laying around. No other reason Easily cut-able if it lets something else in.

I'd kinda like to get back up to 3 dakka-fexes, but then I'd have to drop the Lictors because of the force org slots. And they seem to add an aweful lot to the list compared to the 3rd elite fex.

The Raveners... hmm, probably right, but what to get instead? Probably a 3rd set of spore mines and more rippers. Not much else to spend points on. I hadn't really considered them getting shot at too much. Figure there's plenty bigger things to worry about. Deepstriking was also an option. And they add a mobile unit to claim objectives. But then, I could also get 3 more broods of ripper-swarms for the same points. Reckon I may just save these guys for when I make a horde army.

Bio-Acid spore, yep. That's exactly why I took them. And the Lictor's reserve roll re-rolling makes them easier to drop early

Ripper Swarms: I'm not totally sure about them myself. But the upgrades on them are still dirt-cheap, and let's them play as a living shield that can shoot back some without needing to get into melee (or shoot before charging). Plus, it's just different, which can help keep an opponent off balance.

Gun-Fexes: Yeah, meant bonded Exoskeleton. Sorry about that. I had chosen the scythe-tail to boost the number of attacks, since tails only work when you've got a lot in base contact with you anyway and obviously need to squash some. But, eh, mace should be fine, too. Don't much want them in CC at all anyway. Spine banks are kinda nice, cheap, and (the main reason I want them) look fun to model.

Zoans: One thing I'm not sure on (need to read over the rules again), can a TMC always choose it's target, like a vehicle, or must it pass a Ld test? If it does the test, then Synapse makes it an automatic pass on the roll (thank you FAQ!). They also keep the gunfexes mobile if I need to reposition for targeting and don't care for an instinctive behavior roll making me lurk instead. But, It's the same cost in points either way, so I can experiement with that to see what works best

Thanks xrix1 I'll try to get a revised list together.

bub
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good list remember you can't win with a zilla list by killing the enemy you have to go for the missions to get your points up. I would drop the sporemines and have the raveners as 3 squads of 1 as this gives you 3 very cheap scoring units for table quarters, holding objectives etc. I would suggest dropping the rippers and getting a couple of small units of guants just because they will be a bit quicker due to fleet and they give you 2 more scoring units. Apart from that great list :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Godzilla List 3.0

HQ (x2)
    Hive Tyrant
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Toxin Sacs
    +Venom Cannon
    +Barbed Strangler
    +Extended Carapce
    +Psychic Scream
    +Hive Tyrant Guard x 3
    =[327]

Elite (x2)
    Carnifex
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Flesh Hooks
    =[114]

Elite
    Lictor x 2
    =[160]

Fast Attack (x3)
    Bio-Acid Spore Mine x 3
    =[36]

Troop (x2)
    Ripper Swarm x 3
    =[30]

Troop (x4)
    guant x 8
    +spinefists
    =[40]

Heavy Support (x2)
    Carnifex
    +Bonded Exoskeleton
    +Mace Tail
    +Enhanced Senses
    +Extended Carapace
    +Spinebanks
    +Reinforced Chitin
    +Venom Cannon
    +Barbed Strangler
    =[217]

Heavy Support
    Zoanthrope x 3
    +Synapse x 2
    +Psychic Scream x 1
    +Warp Blast x 3
    =[195]

Total Points: 1,999
    Total Wounds: 107
    Total Models: 64 (6 TMCs)

Bit of a change-up here The guants are there for a few reasons.
    1) draw some fire (yeah, that's right my enemies, waste your time shooting the 40 point guant squad!)
    2) capture table quarters / objectives
    3) shield the Zoans and gun-fexes from assault briefly
    4) counter-assault after spending time hiding behind the big LOS-blocking TMCs
    5) zip forward and tie up enemy heavy weapon squads, or assault and block LOS from enemies on one flank while the big boys take the other flank appart.

Plenty of uses for them, and they're dirt cheap. Plus, I gotta get either a bunch of guants, or a bunch of warriors to get the ripper swarms (don't feel like ordering forge-world versions) so may as well put some of those extra models to work And it lets me completely fill the FOC. So odds are good I get to deploy a thing or two after the opponent is done setting up already.

*bub* I think you'll still like this list even though the mines and rippers stayed in. I like the mines for extra tank-busting, especially on the annoying Indirect fire stuff (or Tau battlesuits playing gopher). But I did pick up a pile of guants to act as scoring units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say to drop the Bio-Acid Mines and the mace tail from your fexes . These are Shooty-fexes .. not CC. Try to buy 3 Raveners because they are very very good in CC. Use them in groups of one , thus making your organisation chart COMPLETE and you can start a new one !!! The Zoans can't have 4 Psyhic abilities ! (Warp Field, Synapse , Warp Blast and Psyhic scream !) Psyhic Scream sounds good... but it's relative poor... LOSE IT !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by holo
    I would say to drop the Bio-Acid Mines and the mace tail from your fexes . These are Shooty-fexes .. not CC. Try to buy 3 Raveners because they are very very good in CC. Use them in groups of one , thus making your organisation chart COMPLETE and you can start a new one !!! The Zoans can't have 4 Psyhic abilities ! (Warp Field, Synapse , Warp Blast and Psyhic scream !) Psyhic Scream sounds good... but it's relative poor... LOSE IT !
    If I do drop the Bio-Acid mines, how do I deal with things like Basilisks, Whirlwinds, and Defilers? Guants can't hurt them, and the TMCs aren't mobile enough to easily get a clear shot before turn 4 or 5 at the earliest. And the Lictors are no guarantee on taking them out either (they have plenty of better targets to chose from anyway). Raveners couldn't likely take them out either, certainly not in such small numbers as they'd get killed on the way in, and deepstriking them would most likely fail and just cost me a ravener.

Check the Zoans again. They only have 2 powers each. Two have Synaps + Warp Blast, one has Scream + Warp Blast. The one with Scream hangs out with the two Tyrants who also have Scream, plus The Horror. So enemies trying to charge the head of my army have to first pass morale test at -3 Ld Failure leaves them sitting ducks for another round of blasting ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...

Your elite Fexes are not elite! Theymust cost LESS than 114 to be elite. Drop the FH's on them :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Baktru
    Hmmm...

Your elite Fexes are not elite! Theymust cost LESS than 114 to be elite. Drop the FH's on them :-)
    Actually the cap is 115 pts or less. They're fine

+ Reply to Thread