Weird and wacky list at 1500pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird and wacky list at 1500pts

Disclaimer: i fully expect some people to suffer heart attacks when they see what ive done to a vanilla list. that said, i want to keep it unique, and any advice that puts me to close to the normal style of eldar will be respectfully ignored.

now that thats out the way, i thought id share my new concept of a list with you guys. so:

HQ

walks towards the enemy looking evil and bestowing some CC resilience on the guardians.

Farseer- 62pts
    -CCW, Shuriken pistol
    -fortune
    supporting farseer, joins the wraithguard

Elites

7 striking scorpions- 160pts
    Exarch- stealth
    depends what i want to do in my game plan, but a unit of infiltrating assaulters gives me a lot of tactical flexibility that i otherwise lack

7 wraithguard- 277pts
    Warlock with conceal, shuriken pistol and CCW
    at this point im fairly certain that someone has just gagged at the thought of me using wraithguard. im adamant that they can be useful with a bit of creativity, and at the least it will give any 'fexes or landraiders carrying an assault squad in the vicinity second thoughtds

Troops

10 dire avengers- 120pts
    now im certain someones gagged. but i think of them as guardian defenders that you can rely on to get the job done. statisticly they land nearly the same number of shuriken shots for points, while reciving a definete boost in CC and armour save. really, would a craftworld call out the wraithguard before calling on the most common aspect warrior?

13 guardian defenders- 171pts
    -shuriken cannon grav platform
    -warlock with conceal and shuriken pistol

13 guardian defenders- 171pts
    -shuriken cannon grav platform
    -warlock with conceal and shuriken pistol
    now this is my attempt to utilise the fact that guardians really do have an exellent gun. its just a case of using it for killing rather than as a meatsheild for a starcannon, which i belive is ineffecient. we've all seen what massed shuriken fire can do, and most of us have our own stories about the really amazing stuff it has done. (and those chosen termies aint gonna forget it) i expect these to serve me well, and they will not disapoint me.

Vyper- 70pts
    -2 shuriken cannons

Vyper- 70pts
    -2 shuriken cannons
    well, i needed something fast. and these are the most effecient as far as popping a vehicle from behind goes, and since my list lacks direct AT, they could be useful. besides im on a mission to prove the shuriken cannon. see a pattern here?

Wraithlord- 120pts
    -bright lance
    i can take this without a conceince as i have some wraithguard and some aspects too. and it fits the game plan of walk up and mulch them with dakka.

2 D-cannons- 100pts

2 D-cannons- 100pts
    how much fun is 4 str 10 AP 2 templates? besides i need some termie squshing power, and they fit the theme of close range fire support.

Total: 1500pts
    Models: 63 infantry, 2 big things and 2 vehicles

the plan all revolves around setting up a firebase close to the enemy and then flattening them with overwhelming firepower.
    you notice that the army is calibrated to move at the same speed as the avatar, with the exeption of the scorpions by infiltrating, the avengers to offer some options mid-late game, and the vypers which will be speeding off to make a nusance of themselves as much as possible.
    the list also focuses on agressive play. hence for the first and maybe even second the D-cannons will be hoofing it to a good firing position if nesacary. of course if im fighting an assaulty army then ill hide them in hard cover and let them play on the enemies mind. no assault squad wants to walk into that killzone.

this isnt really a post for anyalsys of its effectiveness, as i can judge full well what the reaction will be to several choices (no starcannons, dire avengers are bad, wraithguard are overpriced ect.) heard it before, and im still gonna use them. this is for a change of pace, a list which completely embraces the eldar concept of overwheliming offense, and fragile defense. offset slightly by the ghost units. im out to prove the salt of several so called 'worthless' choices, and if that means ive got to become a master tactitian to do so: so be it.

PS i may have come across as a bit brash, if so, my appologies. your input and comments are apreciated, and hopefully this can spark an interesting tactical debate. feel free to post your opinions on what you would change and why. for the craftworlds...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

IF you really wanted to prove all the worthless units I'd have to say you're missing out on the hidden awesomeness of shining spears. (it's so hidden I don't even know what it is, but I'm sure you will figure it out!) :yes:

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Dont think you need the farseer since you have a warlock with wrathguards.

Why not just make all the troops dire avengers, I mean it would make the army "Unusual" besides 3 squads of 10 would be more or less enough do get the job done instead of guardians.

Vypers are useless with shrikens, I would suggest missile lunchers, not many people use em.

Why 7 wraithguards, why not 10 or 5, iknow you want to stay "unusual" but thats just ...Incomplete??? I think thats a right word (I think 5)

If you get 5 wrathguards then might as well addd another 10 man dire avenger squad since you would have some points.

Wrathlord with missile luncher if you like staying "Unusual"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

that is very wacky, however have some sense, why take 20 point shuriken cannons when you can have the same wepon with ap2:w00t: and 5 points less. No one can be that stupid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amishcellphone
    IF you really wanted to prove all the worthless units I'd have to say you're missing out on the hidden awesomeness of shining spears. (it's so hidden I don't even know what it is, but I'm sure you will figure it out!) :yes:
    i would but part of it is keeping the army based on slower units to be honest. anyway, in between the wraithguard and the D-cannons ive got enough crazy expensive stuff, although at 2000 points i will consider adding in some jetbikes

Dont think you need the farseer since you have a warlock with wrathguards.

Why not just make all the troops dire avengers, I mean it would make the army "Unusual" besides 3 squads of 10 would be more or less enough do get the job done instead of guardians.

Vypers are useless with shrikens, I would suggest missile lunchers, not many people use em.

Why 7 wraithguards, why not 10 or 5, iknow you want to stay "unusual" but thats just ...Incomplete??? I think thats a right word (I think 5)

If you get 5 wrathguards then might as well addd another 10 man dire avenger squad since you would have some points.

Wrathlord with missile luncher if you like staying "Unusual"
    i need the farseer in order to get warlocks. i made that mistake when first making the list, yeah.

the vypers have 2 shuriken catapults, its quite a handy combo which has served me well. twice the shots for 5 more points, and i already have the D-cannons and wraithguard for taking out terminators. i doubt the missile launchers would be good. BS 3 and one shot, or BS 3 and 6? i know my choice.

the wraithguard are 7 models so as to make it an even number with the warlock, while i dont have the points to max them out to 10.

the missile launcher on the wraithlord is a good idea though, thanks.

the guardians are there to flesh out the list with some wounds. for the points cost i 'could' get another roughly 25 avengers, but the guardians have more wounds and get the grav platform.

anyway, i think your missing the point of my wierdness. its not just for the sake of taking crazy units, it has a strategy and i need both cheap wounds and a lot of shuriken catapults to use that plan. where to look but guardian defenders for both.

that is very wacky, however have some sense, why take 20 point shuriken cannons when you can have the same wepon with ap2 and 5 points less. No one can be that stupid
    because i now get 2 shuriken cannons instead of a starcannon and TL shuriken catapults. means my vypers stay useful even with a weapon destroyed result.

anyway, as you guys have just demonstrated, people will underestimate them. thats until they get round the back of a tank with some AV10 in sight. 12 shots, 6 hits, 2 penatrations, 1 big explosion. hopefully.

the layout also means its more effective against swarms than a starcannon. so im fine with the vypers as they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i actually really like the viper layouts, very interesting. i am inpressed with the sticking to tactics/theme. have you got any background for this.
    You may already know me, you may have met my followers, i am Allah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odd...I made almost exactly the same list earlier today when I was playing around with army ideas. I deemed it the "Eldar Seige" list.

All the choices look pretty solid, although I think you could benefit from more Wraithguard. 7 is barely adequate, even with fortune, in a footslogging squad.

Firefight-type Eldar lists benefit hugely from Mind War. Consider finding some points to give your farseer mind war and spirit stones. This way, your guardians and avengers and wraithguard especially won't get eaten alive by power weapons/power fists.

I hope you've memorized *exactly* what 12" looks like on the table...

+ Reply to Thread