[500] Fast Nid list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[500] Fast Nid list

Standard rules( 1-2 HQ, 2+ Troops):

1 Hive Tyrant(Winged, Bonesword&Whip, Talons, Warp Blast, Rippers)
    9 Hormagaunts
    9 Hormagaunts
    4 Raveners(Talons, Claws)
    23 models, 500 pts.

The general idea is that by turn 2 pretty much everything in the list will be in combat. The tyrant will swoop ahead, taking pretty much everything the enemy can throw at it, and then join the others in CC. The bonesword's Catalyst effect will really help the Hormagaunts fulfill their potential. Raveners are somewhat more fragile but should be able to reach the enemy at the same time as the Hormagaunts( they're both beasts after all).

2 broods of approx. 5+ Hormagaunts, 2 Raveners and a pissed off Tyrant will probably mangle just about anyone. The warpblast on the Tyrant is the only ranged weapon though, fast list with lots of vypers has only to take out the tyrant and they're free. Now taking out a 4W T6 monster isn't all that easy.....

How about it folks? Anyone tried this already? Anyone want to add something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

On your Tyrant, I'd switch Bonesword and Lash Whip to another Sycthing Talon. I'd also take off Rippers unless your playing a hoard army.

My concern is, that if you move your Hive Tyrant up to fast he will eventually be out of Synapse range for both the Hormagaunt squads. Maybe consider taking out 1 Ravener and replace it with a Zoanthrope or something to help with Synapse for your Hormies.

~Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IAmAngel
    On your Tyrant, I'd switch Bonesword and Lash Whip to another Sycthing Talon. I'd also take off Rippers unless your playing a hoard army.

My concern is, that if you move your Hive Tyrant up to fast he will eventually be out of Synapse range for both the Hormagaunt squads. Maybe consider taking out 1 Ravener and replace it with a Zoanthrope or something to help with Synapse for your Hormies.

~Ben
    The rippers are just there because there was some points left, nothing else to spend them on.
    Lose the Bonesword for an additional attack? You do realise that would mean no Catalyst power right? Energizing everyone within 6" traded for +1A?.....
    Getting out of synapse range may be an issue, it is really all eggs in one flying basket. However the field is 12" wide around the Tyrant, Hormagaunts move 6+D6" inches, Tyrant moves 12". Even with the lousiest roll even the Hormagaunts will only lag behind by 5" on each turn, it will then take three turns of straight moving to be out of synapse( Tyrant jumps ahead, Hormies run 7"..). If they're not in CC after 3 turns something's really screwed up.
    Are my calculations right? Will they stay in synapse or have they a chance to run out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a rather glaring hole in this army list. You mention that your tactic is to throw your Hive Tyrant up the board and taking everything that the opponent has to offer. The problem is that your HT only has a 3+ save. Now this doesnt normally sound like a bad thing, but it becomes vulnerable then to Missile launchers and the like. I have found through playing, especially against IG, that the 2+ save is a god send. If I was your opponent and saw your lay out, I would immeadiately target your HT with everything I had first turn. Depending on what i had, It should glow white and go away leaving you with no synapse on the field. That will start causing havoc with your hormies and Raveners, though less likely to truly affect the Raveners with the ld 10

try to get either a 2+ save for your tyrant, or like a previous reply said, a zoanthrope for more synapse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy316
    There is a rather glaring hole in this army list. You mention that your tactic is to throw your Hive Tyrant up the board and taking everything that the opponent has to offer. The problem is that your HT only has a 3+ save. Now this doesnt normally sound like a bad thing, but it becomes vulnerable then to Missile launchers and the like. I have found through playing, especially against IG, that the 2+ save is a god send. If I was your opponent and saw your lay out, I would immeadiately target your HT with everything I had first turn. Depending on what i had, It should glow white and go away leaving you with no synapse on the field. That will start causing havoc with your hormies and Raveners, though less likely to truly affect the Raveners with the ld 10

try to get either a 2+ save for your tyrant, or like a previous reply said, a zoanthrope for more synapse.
    All right, valid point.
    'Afraid 2+ save is out of the question, extended carapace and wings don't mix(Codex rules). 'Could try and wedge in Warp Field (2+ / 6+) but that would take out the only anti-armour weapon in the list(warp blast).
    Zoans could fill the slot by providing both synapse and warp blast but they're just so much slower than the rest of the army. The points for the zoans could either come from scrapping the Raveners or the Tyrant. And I'd still need to fill the HQ slot so then I'd be stuck with a brood of warriors. Both Zoans and Warriors run the risk of getting left behind after the first turn: Fast elements(H + R) move D6" more than synapse, 2nd turn they more another D6" more and possibly up to 12" from assault. In the unlikely event of a 3rd turn without reaching combat they would have moved 3D6"+<12" more than the synapse field. For them not to be out of range by then they would have to rolled less than 3's on fleet and assaulting an enemy less than 3" away. This seems to be a dilemma for Nids all over, synapse creatures don't move fast. Not moving fast means taking flak.

Perhaps a more careful approach with the Tyrant would suffice? Hopping from cover to cover, only exposing it to a minimum of enemy fire and sniping armour with Warp Blast? I reckon the enemy would have only one or two turns of fire on the tyrant, after that it's clobbering time...

I agree that the Tyrant may be taken out by concentrated fire( Krak or otherwise), even though this would leave the rest of the army intact it would cancel out Synapse. Tough situation, not sure there are any options to a tyrant for providing synapse for this kind of fast list. Anyone out there have a suggestion for a fast synapse provider? Broodlord?

Oh, on that note take a look at this list:
    1 Hive Tyrant(winged, Toxin, 2xTL devourer,senses)
    1 Broodlord(carapace)
    5 Genestealers(retinue)
    9 Hormagaunts
    9 Hormagaunts
    25 models, 501 pts. 2 HQ 2 Troops. 1 point over the limit and cheesed to the max by using almost minimal sized troop choices. But it does leave the enemy in a jam, either take the Broodlord head-on or the combined Tyrant/Hormagaunt. Choose your targets wisely...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxhandler
    All right, valid point.
    'Afraid 2+ save is out of the question, extended carapace and wings don't mix(Codex rules). 'Could try and wedge in Warp Field (2+ / 6+) but that would take out the only anti-armour weapon in the list(warp blast).
    In a list this size you dont need Warp Blast, the amount of armour taken in 500pts is negligable and the Tyrant is a Monstrous creature at strength 5 so he will walkk through all AV11,12,13 vehicles (AV14 is so rare its not worth thinking about at 500pts), but to do his work he has to get to the vehicles and thats were the 2+ save comes in, the Warp field is a lot more valuable than the Warp blast (very rarely works anyway).
    Dump the Warp Field and take the 2+ save, it makes sense.
    In fact forget all the shooting on him and give him 2 x Scyt talons, Wings, Warp Field, and make him +1 strength and you will have an awesome cheapish armour killer and anti infantry model who should reap havoc on most 500pt lists.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; February 17th, 2006 at 17:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    In a list this size you dont need Warp Blast, the amount of armour taken in 500pts is negligable and the Tyrant is a Monstrous creature at strength 5 so he will walkk through all AV11,12,13 vehicles (AV14 is so rare its not worth thinking about at 500pts), but to do his work he has to get to the vehicles and thats were the 2+ save comes in, the Warp field is a lot more valuable than the Warp blast (very rarely works anyway).
    Dump the Warp Field and take the 2+ save, it makes sense.
    In fact forget all the shooting on him and give him 2 x Scyt talons, Wings, Warp Field, and make him +1 strength and you will have an awesome cheapish armour killer and anti infantry model who should reap havoc on most 500pt lists.
    For 500 pts I guess you could get:
    4 Raveners(Claws, Talons)
    16 Hormagaunts(2x8 )
    1 Hive Tyrant(Winged, Toxin, 2xTalons, Warp Field, Rippers)
    Once again rippers are just filler.

Chasing fast armour with the Tyrant seems a bit risky, more stationary ones lite SM Land raiders and IG tanks might be feasible. Could a Tyrant with 2xTL devourers and Toxin (6 S5 shots, reroll hit&wound...) make a difference? Is it more worth than 2 extra attacks in CC?

Another thing might be to free up one of the Raveners, exchanging it for 4 extra hormagaunts instead. Or spending the points on upgrading the gaunts or the tyrant?
    An alternative list:
    1 Hive Tyrant(Winged, Toxin, 2xTL Devourer,Warp Field,Senses,Flesh hooks)
    3 Raveners(Talons,Claws)
    18 Hormagaunts
    22 models 500 pts. The tyrant is a whopping large centerpiece. Capable of dishing out 12 S5 hits each turn before adding some punch in combat. 3 Raveners should be enough to augment the 2x9 Gaunts. Anyone for this list?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxhandler
    For 500 pts

Chasing fast armour with the Tyrant seems a bit risky, more stationary ones lite SM Land raiders and IG tanks might be feasible. Could a Tyrant with 2xTL devourers and Toxin (6 S5 shots, reroll hit&wound...) make a difference? Is it more worth than 2 extra attacks in CC?
    We are talking 500pts here not 1500/2000 the amount of armour in 500pts is usually kept to a minimum (1 or 2 vehicles) and there is usually a prevelance of dreads/Kans etc.
    I use a Scyth/rend claws/ winged tyrant in 2000pts primaraly as a vehicle hunter, The benefit of being a monstrous creature (2D^ and STR)means if he gets to hit most vehicles he will damage or destroy them (especially the lowish AV in 500pts).
    The twin linked Devs are only S5 and will struggle against most vehicles as they can only glance anyway.
    Also the Tyrant will walk through most units in 500pts in CC so yes that extra 2 attacks is worth it, why have the tyrant shooting and giving units saves (and also attracting fire back) when he can be in CC with 6 armour save ignoring attacks on the charge and he cant be shot in CC.
    I know where my money would be going.
    Nids shooting sucks I have found that CC first pays dividends, get the CC sorted first and then take a bit of shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

The Devil tyrant in 500 pt armies is a cheap alternative which can take out alot of points.

=> It can deal with those pesky skimmers 12 shots S4 =skimmer dead/disabled
    => against troops it can do 12 S4 shots before charging doing more damage than the 2 ST
    Maths:
    with 2 devourers you will kill 6.32 IG b4 you charge
    with 2 ST you will kill 1.111 IG b4 on the charge
    Against marines
    Devil tyrant kills 2.6667 marines dead b4 charge
    2 ST = 0.88889 marines dead on the charge.
    Assuming no Str upgrades for the tyrant
    => Against tanks your only option is to go for the back not advisable in this configuration but if you've got nothing else GL

Carni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifexus
    The Devil tyrant in 500 pt armies is a cheap alternative which can take out alot of points.

=> It can deal with those pesky skimmers 12 shots S4 =skimmer dead/disabled
    => against troops it can do 12 S4 shots before charging doing more damage than the 2 ST
    Maths:
    with 2 devourers you will kill 6.32 IG b4 you charge
    with 2 ST you will kill 1.111 IG b4 on the charge
    Against marines
    Devil tyrant kills 2.6667 marines dead b4 charge
    2 ST = 0.88889 marines dead on the charge.
    Assuming no Str upgrades for the tyrant
    => Against tanks your only option is to go for the back not advisable in this configuration but if you've got nothing else GL

Carni
    If you're going for tanks at that ammount of points, you might as well assault them with 4 attacks, St 5+2d6 should be enough for any tank at that ammount of points
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast