2000 pts USF, refined tactics. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

2000 pts USF, refined tactics.

OK, the idea with this army is to use the Vypers to pin certain enemy units in the movement phase in order to create "safe" areas to place the Wraithgate later on that turn.
    Normally, when the Seer Council gets into 12" from an enemy unit they get charged in order to be prevented from dropping the gate, and everyone who plays USF knows how important it is to get close enough to the enemy so that you can get into combat with as many units as possible, and also that you can't get to close since you will be charged.
    If you pin the unit/units you plan to assault in the movement phase, you can safely move within 12" of them and deploy the Wraithgate. In your opponent's next turn, they won't be able to do anything, and then during your turn the reserves storm out and charge them.

In this list I have 2 Vypers capable of pinning in the movement phase thanks to CTM, they can also take out medium vehicles where necessary. Usually I have Bright lances on my Black Vypers, but now I moved them to my Guardian squads, who will take on the task of removing heavy armour from the table. The superior range of the EML also gives you an edge when using them on Vypers who will be at the very back of the table.

I also have two small squads of Rangers for emergency pinning purposes (and because pinning is good in general with this army, since it limits your enemies movement and makes it diffucult for them to escape the units you set loose). The key in USF is reaching the enemy in close combat.

I use Maugan Ra in this army because I don't have enough Warlock models to field a Spear of Khaine, I want them in my two 10-man Guardian squads instead. Maugan Ra will fill the Spears function but with greater reach since he can fleet of foot, and he will boost the Leadership to 10 in any unit he joins. The Guardian squads are very useful for taking objectives, adding extra bodies to prolong an assault, or killing stuff at close range with their 21 Str 4 shots at BS4. Good for taking down enemies just too far away to risk fleeting to.

The Jetbike unit is useful for reaching units far away, taking care of stuff for me. In a big game like 2000 pts the enemy will have a big army, and I need a great reach to trap enough of it and hunt it down.

Then I have 2 Storm Guardian units and a Banshee squad as my main assault force.

The War Walker will be used for blasting stuff too far away to assault.

On to the list itself:

HQ:

Seer Council; 276 pts
    Farseer: Witchblade, Shuriken pistol, Runes of Witnessing, Ghosthelm, Fortune
    Farseer: Witchblade, Shuriken pistol, Runes of Witnessing, Mind War
    Warlock: Close combat weapon, Shuriken pistol, Augment
    Warlock: Close combat weapon, Shuriken pistol, Augment, Wraithgate
    Warlock: Close combat weapon, Shuriken pistol, Enhance
    Warlock: Close combat weapon, Shuriken pistol, Embolden

Maugan Ra;130 pts (Webway)

Elite:

Ranger squad; 57 pts
    3 Rangers

Ranger squad; 57 pts
    3 Rangers

Howling Banshee squad; 165 pts (Webway)
    8 Banshees, 1 Exarch w. Executioner

Troops:

Black Guardian Defender squad; 155 pts
    8 Guardians
    2 Crewmen w. Bright lance platform
    Warlock: Shuriken pistol, Close combat weapon, Conceal

Black Guardian Defender squad; 155 pts
    9 Guardians
    2 Crewmen w. Bright lance platform

Black Guardian Storm squad; 137 pts (Webway)
    11 Guardians, 1 w. Flamer, 1 w. Fusion gun
    Warlock: Shuriken pistol, Witchblade, Enhance

Black Guardian Storm squad; 137 pts (Webway)
    11 Guardians, 1 w. Flamer, 1 w. Fusion gun
    Warlock: Shuriken pistol, Witchblade, Enhance

Black Guardian Defender squad; 113 pts (Webway)
    10 Guardians

Black Guardian Defender squad; 113 pts (Webway)
    10 Guardians

Fast attack:

Black Vyper; 110 pts
    Eldar missile launcher, Chrystal targeting matrix

Black Vyper; 110 pts
    Eldar missile launcher, Chrystal targeting matrix

Black Guardian Jetbike squad; 194 pts (Webway)
    3 Jetbikes, 1 w. Shuriken Cannon
    1 Jetbike Warlock: Singing spear, Destructor

Heavy Support:

Black War Walker; 115 pts (Webway)
    2 Star cannons

TOTAL: 2000 pts

Feel free to comment.

Last edited by Viktor; March 20th, 2006 at 22:20.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I havn't got my codex but I think you may have some points mis-calulations, example being banshees and jetbikes. You may have forgotten to add the extra exarch points as I'm certain 8 banshees and 1 exarch is the same as 10 banshees....and that certainly costs more than 149pts.

Can't see much wrong, one thing I would comment on is over crowding when your troops finally get out of the webway. This may lead to quite a few squads missing combat...heaven for pie plates the next turn. At the moment you have to accomidate 50 man sized models and a monster base model. The warwalker is fine since you can just move it backwards but if the rest of them want to go forwards thats alot to fit in a 180 degree arc, 12".

Yay....missle launchers ^^, don't see many of those today.....I would use them but I don't have any spare :/
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiromyo
    I havn't got my codex but I think you may have some points mis-calulations, example being banshees and jetbikes. You may have forgotten to add the extra exarch points as I'm certain 8 banshees and 1 exarch is the same as 10 banshees....and that certainly costs more than 149pts.
    Oops, I messed around with the list here while changing it in army builder vice versa so I missed adding a banshee. But the points are still correct, even for the Jetbikes.

2 of those Guardian squads are shooty, so they don't have to be in the middle of things. The War Walker moves backwards... the jetbikes fly 12 or turbo boost. In the end, there are 3 units charging into battle in the same area.

EMLs are really underused, they are nice weapons. Especially against Tau.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

You have no platforms so I would have to presume that when you get out the opposing army will be within shooting distance. If they don't you would probably find them being cannon fodder for most your games, having no long range weapons and all (even a shuriken cannon. scatter laser would be good)

Regular gaurdians I think have good potential in your army as close combatists. They can get of 21 strength 4 shots then if they charge they contribute another possible 23 strength 3 hits. It may be worth considering using them this way as well. Then you wouldn't have to worry as much about conceal and can go for something else. But moving on to another point, you already have three squads charging the same area.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

I have two Bright lance platforms on my foot-slogging Guardian squads. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Defender Guardians are pretty good for that. But I don't think I need to assault with them unless in an emergency, like if I need to hold up a squad for a turn so I can reach them with another unit later. Or if one of my squads starts losing a CC they can be sent there quick to give me more bodies.

I shall try this list out next Saturday I think. :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Nice list, would be very intresting to play with. I love the EMLs you have, a underused weapon indeed.

+ Reply to Thread