[1700] Suitless Mechanised Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

[1700] Suitless Mechanised Tau

Hey guys, I've posted up this armylist a few months ago, and with the coming of the new codex, it sure needs revision.

Here's what I have up my sleeve:

Hq

Shadow Sun @ 175 pts

Troops

12 Fire Warriors @ 260 pts
    Shas'ui
    Bonded

Transport: Devilfish
    Smart Missiles, Targeting Array, Multi-Tracker,
    1 Seeker Missile

Shas'ui
    Bonded

1 Seeker Missile

Fast attack

8 Pathfinders @ 286 pts
    2 Rail Rifles
    Shas'ui
    Bonded, Drone Controller, Marker Drone

1 Seeker Missile

8 Pathfinders @ 286 pts
    2 Rail Rifles
    Shas'ui
    Bonded, Drone Controller, Marker Drone

1 Seeker Missile

2 Piranha Light Skimmers @ 180 pts
    Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, 2 Seeker Missiles

Heavy Support

Skyray Defence Gunship @ 165 pts
    Decoy Launcher

Gun Drone Snipers @ 80 pts
    Total : 1692 pts

The list is designed to maximise the use of marker lights, and has 7 rail rifles to cause pinning checks, plenty of Seeker Missiles.

The Question is : Do I drop a unit of Pathfinders for another unit of Fire Warriors ? Doing so I would have to give out some marker Drones to my Fire Warriors, and possibly a marker light to the Shas' ui in the units.

I use Shadow Sun purely to avoid the Crisis Suit commander, as you cannot just take an ethereal anymore.

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the rules in the codex, I don't think that Shadowsun will be an effective model. Sure she has the twin-linked fusion blasters and the stealth armor, but if she gets close enough to use the blasters, then she is probably dangerously exposedand she really isn't all that resillient, one good round of fire from a marine squad could very easily finish her off.

I would drop the skyray. As I see it, it's got six shots, then it's completely useless, especially when it can fire 3 or 4 shots per turn. So, by the end of turn 3 max, it becomes 165 worthles points of tank theat could be better spent on a Hammerhead. Besides, you can get the seeker missiles from different vehicles, just double up on several.

Definately drop one of the Patfinder squads because they are very expensive for a relatively fragile unit. They are very good at what they do, but once they get mired up in a firefight, then they pretty much become worthless.

You should probably keep the seeker missiles off of the Piranhas because they are very easily destroyed, especially when they operate as far behind an opponen't lines as they are designed to. On the otherhand, they can get some good shots off at rear armor very early on in the game. It's your call.

If you can scrape up the points, try to get another sniper drone team, they will probably be very effective.
    1500 years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe
    500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat
    5 minutes ago you knew humans were alone on the planet
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow

Imagine-John Lennon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deffenatly drop the sky ray, it's for army that have few vehicals and want more seekers yours has plenty of vehicals to five seekers.

I would say drop the rail rifles in the pathfinders and take another sniper drone team. the path finders should focas on marking one to two suads for death. Also drop the marker drones as they can't help other maker lights (those of the pathfiners) to hit.

Now I'm going to haft to build an army like this.:w00t:
    Lurker extraordinaire

The Tyranid torpedo? Its a giant facehuger cannon. It fires an army of facehugers at the other ships. It should cause fear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by krosanreaper
    Deffenatly drop the sky ray, it's for army that have few vehicals and want more seekers yours has plenty of vehicals to five seekers.

I would say drop the rail rifles in the pathfinders and take another sniper drone team. the path finders should focas on marking one to two suads for death. Also drop the marker drones as they can't help other maker lights (those of the pathfiners) to hit.

Now I'm going to haft to build an army like this.:w00t:
    The marker Drone improves the BS of the unit before they shoot. So if it hits, I would be marking on 3s with the other Marker lights. But it is still 30 points, so I guess 2 gun drones would be a better buy ?

If I drop the secomnd unit of pathfinders do I add A marker Drone to my units of warriors, or do I give a marker light to my shas'uis and a targetlock.

I will get a second unit of sniper drones and drop the rail rifles.

As For the skyray, I would like to give it a try first. Alot of players just find it bad ( and it used to be 200 pts base!) but it is still relatively cheap and as the smart missiles. What I like about it, is that I can loose up all of it's missiles on turn 1, putting a hole in int he opponent's deployment (death company, destroyers, Honour guard, assault squads, well anything to fast and way too furious for me to handle with the Fist of Fury.

After a few games I'll get down to see if it got anything done, and if not, I'll invest in a Hammerhead.

Thanks guys, I'll post a second list later today, time to resculpt ^_^
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Here's a rescultp, using the valued inputs of my fellow tau generals, here's what I had cooking :

Hq

Commander Shadow Sun @ 175 pts

Troops

Shas'ui
    Bonded

1 Seeker Missile

Shas'ui
    Bonded

1 Seeker Missile

Shas'ui
    Bonded

1 Seeker Missile

Fast Attack

8 Pathfinders @ 236 pts
    Shas'ui
    Bonded

1 Seeker Missile

2 Piranha Fast Skimmers @ 180 pts
    Fusion Blaster, Targerting Array, 2 Seeker Missiles

Heavy Support

Skyray @ 165 pts
    Smart Missiles, Targeting Array,
    Disruption Pod, Multi-tracker

2 Sniper Drone Teams @ 160 pts

Total 1696 pts

Any more thoughts or comments ? Always welcomed ^_^
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Guard 1988
    I would drop the skyray. As I see it, it's got six shots, then it's completely useless, especially when it can fire 3 or 4 shots per turn. So, by the end of turn 3 max, it becomes 165 worthles points of tank theat could be better spent on a Hammerhead. Besides, you can get the seeker missiles from different vehicles, just double up on several.
    obviously you have not thought about the skyray properly, it has two markerlights (networked that are classed as defensive weapons (so can fire them even if moving 12" with multi tracker) has a BS of 4 so ML's are hitting on 3+ and is a skimmer with AV13, it also can be equiped with SMS, so you have an AV13 skimmr that can Markerlight 2 seperate targets a turn (even units behind size 2 cover) and can hit with its SMS, and you class that as completely useless, mmmmmmm ok. Oh and i forgot it has 6 seekers as well. I am giving it some serious thought as to replacing one of my ultra valuable HH railheads.

Definately drop one of the Patfinder squads because they are very expensive for a relatively fragile unit. They are very good at what they do, but once they get mired up in a firefight, then they pretty much become worthless.
    1 of the pathfinder squads, he only has one, and why would he want to drop one of the most usefull units, I hated pathfinders in the old codex but the new ML rules basically make them compulsory or as near as dammit, ML drones are very expensive and fagile but the pathfinders can now be given improved shield drones which really helps, basic advice take shield drones and dont get caught in CC, use cover and they will be ok.

You should probably keep the seeker missiles off of the Piranhas because they are very easily destroyed, especially when they operate as far behind an opponen't lines as they are designed to. On the otherhand, they can get some good shots off at rear armor very early on in the game. It's your call.
    Exactly a squad can get up a flank ultra fast and let upto 6 seekers go, this could wipe out an opponents armour in one turn, Pirahnas should be given 2 seekers (I know mine have).

If you can scrape up the points, try to get another sniper drone team, they will probably be very effective.
    I would lose the snipers altogether and take another Hammerhead, you really need the anti armour and the subs round will be usefull, use markerlights to guarantee hits for it and it will pay you back plenty, snipers you can do without the HH you need, if you had XV8's to go armour hunting you could get away with it as it stands you need a HH badly (if you dont take any other advice take this)
    Last edited by Rikimaru; April 4th, 2006 at 03:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

You basically cover my thoughts on the list Rikimaru, but I think a second unit of pathfinders to be a bit too much ?

If you think not, give out a shout ^_^

I have the sniper drones only to cuase some pinning tests, but a railhead might have more impact. although they can hold/deny a table quarter for 80 pts, and will pass under the radar early game.

So more input from those who favour the railhead or snipers is welcomed ^_^
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    You basically cover my thoughts on the list Rikimaru, but I think a second unit of pathfinders to be a bit too much ?

If you think not, give out a shout ^_^

I have the sniper drones only to cuase some pinning tests, but a railhead might have more impact. although they can hold/deny a table quarter for 80 pts, and will pass under the radar early game.

So more input from those who favour the railhead or snipers is welcomed ^_^
    Yep I think 2 units of pathfinders would not give the returns for the points spent on them, one is reasonable and if you take the skyray you have a pretty solid ML line up anyway, just make sure you take some shield drones on the Pathfinders cos they draw fire from experienced players and will do so even more with the new ML rules.

Pinning test can be achieved just as well by equiping some of the FW in the devilfish with carbines, the ML ability to reduce LDS makes this a viable tactic, use a ML hit to up the BS of the FW and a couple to reduce LDS and your practically guaranteed a pin.

I honestly think that the Hammerhead is a more sensible option given the lack of armour killing, but obviously I have stated this already and some other opinions would be usefull for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

The only problem with a railhead is that I have very few points to invest, even wiitht he 160 pts from the sniper drones. I would have to free up 20 more points to kit it out proper.

I also need to find some points to invest in some shield drones (another 30 here ) for the pathfinders, so a big 50 in total. Any thoughts ? I though of reducing the fire warriors to 11 per squad, perhaps 10 ?
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    The only problem with a railhead is that I have very few points to invest, even wiitht he 160 pts from the sniper drones. I would have to free up 20 more points to kit it out proper.

I also need to find some points to invest in some shield drones (another 30 here ) for the pathfinders, so a big 50 in total. Any thoughts ? I though of reducing the fire warriors to 11 per squad, perhaps 10 ?
    If you take the standard reilhead with burst cannons and multi your looking at 160pts, the multi gives it all the protection it needs because the decoy is not that much cop now and you can do wothout the SMS if you do want decoys lose bonding on a FW team or lose a targeting array on a devilfish (not that much use really), personaly I would lose the 3 seekers on the Devilfish, they really wont do that much for the 10 points each, your much better having the shield drones for the pathfinders and giving them that extra time and survivability for markerlighting, your gonna get more use out of extra markerlight hits than 3 seekers. Throw away the seekers and you have 30pts exactly.
    Hope this helps your gonna have quite an effective list fast moving and quite hard hitting, i would not rule out the sniper drones altogether though give them a try and then play a few games with the HH and see which pans out most effectively.no one has enough experience withthe new codex to really give solid reliable opinions (not that I do anyway LOL)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast