[1000+] Armoured Cavalry (Tau Cheddar) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

[1000+] Armoured Cavalry (Tau Cheddar)

OK this "list" was inspired by reading about Armoured Cavalry in Vietnam & Hammer's Slammers and my desire to field some unusual variants plus a few "house" rules.

It arose out of a "legal" CP list which when I'd finished just didn't seem to capture the flavour of a grav-mechanised force sweeping across the battlefield.

[HQ]

1 x Shas'el XV85 Crisis Suit
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, Shield Generator, Hard-wired Multi-Tracker (a)

[Troops]

1st Platoon

1 x Shas'ui, Pulse Carbine, Bonding Knife, Photon Grenades
    11 x Shas'la Pulse Rifle, Photon Grenades

1 x Devilfish ACAV (b)
    Hull-mounted Burst Cannon, Turret-mounted Burst Cannon, Hard-locked Drones, Targetting Array, Target Lock, Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pods, Decoy Launchers, Flechettes.

2nd Platoon

1 x Shas'ui, Pulse Carbine, Bonding Knife, Photon Grenades
    11 x Shas'la Pulse Rifle, Photon Grenades

1 x Devilfish ACAV (b)
    Hull-mounted Burst Cannon, Turret-mounted Burst Cannon, Hard-locked Drones, Targetting Array, Target Lock, Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pods, Decoy Launchers, Flechettes.

[Heavy Support]

1 x Hammerhead MkV (c)
    Twin Linked Plasma Cannons, Smart Missile System, Target Lock, Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pods, Decoy Launchers, Flechettes.

[Fast Attack]

8 x Drones

2 x Piranha Gunships (d)
    Burst Cannon, Smart Missile System, Targetting Array, Target Lock, Decoy Launchers, Disruption Pods.

(a) I'd really like to replace this guy with one of the Forgeworld Models maybe, but for now I allow a command figure (only) to use all four hard points that are available on the model except that only two can be used for weapons, and a twin-linked weapon is considered to count as two weapons.

(b) Devilfish ACAV - this was because I'd actually got the Hammerhead models cheap to use as Devilfishes, and found that if you make the turret and then fix a burst cannon pinned to the weapon mount and the large spine between the turret opening and the weapon mount it looks rather nice.

Of course if you use the Hammerhead models you don't get the drones which led to (d) swapping the drones from the piranhas with the SMS - hard-locked drones are another of those "house rules" basically a they use the vehicle BS, but cannot detach - effectively an additional weapon mount, easily modelled - I just leave the drone spine off

(c) This uses the Forgeworld Twin-Linked Plasma Cannon mounting. Since I don't have the Taros book I've guessed at the stats somewhat putting the weapon somewhere between the Ion cannon and Railgun in terms of effect but with less range.

Plasma Cannon: Range 48", STR8, AP2, Heavy(2).

Twin linked, they can't penetrate the toughest armour frontally, but can be devastating in a sweeping flank attack.

(d) Piranha Gunships use the SMS instead of the Drones. At some point in the future I intend to pair a gunship with a Forgeworld Pathfinder Tetra using networked markerlights to form a "pink" team.

So basically that's it - very light on infantry to hold ground, highly reliant on technology and firepower to eliminate the enemy (after which all ground is yours for the taking) - typically Tau I feel?

Last edited by vorlon; April 15th, 2006 at 19:44.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

+ Reply to Thread