1500 Tyranids against Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Tyranids against Tau

Okay Here is my army list I normally play Mech Tau and I can't seem to beat them. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Gun Tyrant+ 2 tyrant Guard = 264 pts
    >VC, Twn Lnk Devs, ES, EC, TS

Flying Gun Tyrant = 224 pts
    > VC, Twn Lnk Devs, ES, TS, Warp Field, wings

Anti-skimmer warriors x3 = 124 pts
    > VC, x2 Deathspitters, EC, ES, RC, TS

Brood 1 Hormies x16 = 160 pts

Brood 2 Hormies x16 = 160 pts

Genestealers x8 = 192 pts
    > EC, FH, Scuttlers

Gun Fex = 188 pts
    > VC, BS, ES, EC, RC

Gun Fex = 188 pts
    > VC, BS, ES, EC, RC

total 1500 pts, 49 Models, 68 Wounds

I also play alot of Bike/skimmer Marines and I tend to have some problems with them as well. Any help would be great.

Last edited by Raginrok; May 7th, 2006 at 20:24.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont abbreviate

yeh people who read it will figure it out eventually, but generally its better to type them out a little bit, so they can skim through the biomorphs
    lot quicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry in all my lists posted I'ce always abbreviated, and your the first to complain. Please keep it constructive to the topic posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Raginrok
    Gun Tyrant+ 2 tyrant Guard = 264 pts
    >VC, Twn Lnk Devs, ES, EC, TS
    Swap out the twin-linked devourers for a barbed strangler. Force the T'au to take pinning tests and things get a bit easier. Consider picking up Psychic Scream to give them lowered leadership.

Flying Gun Tyrant = 224 pts
    > VC, Twn Lnk Devs, ES, TS, Warp Field, wings
    Trade the VS for a second pair of devourers, close quickly and decimate his troops or light armored skimmers. Try to attack from one side or the other (not up the middle) to make sure the bulk of his forces can't get a shot at you.

Anti-skimmer warriors x3 = 124 pts
    > VC, x2 Deathspitters, EC, ES, RC, TS
    These guys aren't bad, but with all of the AP3 the Tau currently field, they're just too squishy for the points. Trade them out for some synapse / warp blasting or synapse / psychic screaming Zoanthropes.

Brood 1 Hormies x16 = 160 pts

Brood 2 Hormies x16 = 160 pts
    Hormagaunts are very, very expensive. They're good against Fire Warriors, though. Consider dropping one brood of 16 for two broods of 16 spinegaunts.

Genestealers x8 = 192 pts
    > EC, FH, Scuttlers
    These guys are way too expensive, and again with all of the new Tau AP3 weapons, they'll die like chumps. I'd drop them in favor of more spinegaunts or an elite CC Carnifex.

Gun Fex = 188 pts
    > VC, BS, ES, EC, RC

Gun Fex = 188 pts
    > VC, BS, ES, EC, RC
    These guys both look fine to me. They'll have difficulty with hammerheads, but should be able to deal with broadsides reasonably well.

I also play alot of Bike/skimmer Marines and I tend to have some problems with them as well. Any help would be great.
    Against skimmer-heavy marines, my advice is actually broods of Gargoyles in place the the (quite useless) Hormagaunts. Gargoyles have added mobility and are reasonably capable of damaging armor 10 skimmers. Genestealers should perform reasonably well against bikes, but you need to hinder enemy mobility by taking units that are of a similar mobility. If he can outmaneuver you, he can win. Flying CC warriors, Gargoyles, and Raveners should even the odds (and Warp Blasting zoanthropes, using the normal blast shot) tend to do fairly well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big problem is he normally never drops his fire warriors off they stay in the floaty transports so unless i can get to the back of the transport with a Winged Devil Tyrant there isn't a chance I can glace it. I'll try to post his list up if I can find it. But he doesn't use any broadsides. CC just doesn't work well unless against a Crisis Suit b/c everything is a skimmer and only glaces and I need 6s just to hit and then another high roll to make do from there. I really hate skimmer armies which is basically all that this is. I can't get anything into cc b/c there is really nothing to cc with everything is vehicals or crisis suits that I can't get close to b/c they move pritty darn good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Thread renamed to something appropriate for the subforum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Split hormgaunts into four broods of 8

Reduce genestealers to 6 and remove scuttlers. Perhaps pick up another unit of 6. Make them not look so threatening (and, let's face it, genestealers are WAY overkill against Tau).

Winged Tyrant *might* be better in a pure assault role (scytals, etc.). Will certainly put the hurt on more vehicles, and he can probably collapse a whole flank by himself.

Zoanthropes are a must, as well. At least two, preferably with synapse and warp blast, but warp blast only if you're strapped for points.

He keeps his firewarriors in transports? Hah! Even better! Tau hate sniperfexes. They really do. Try to target expensive elite squads of crisis suits. You instead kill them! Weeeee!

The winged Tyrant isn't that necessary. It might be better to replace him with two elite TLdev carnis.

Tau don't have that many AP3 weapons. They'll also go kinda glossy-eyed at a target rich environment.

But what Tau hate the most... Str 8 pie plates!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank for the suggestions please keep them coming. I'm going to invest in 2 Zoans here shortly and play test them and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank for the suggestions please keep them coming. I'm going to invest in 2 Zoans here shortly and play test them and see what happens.
    Thanks alot for the advice everyone! (sarcasm!):tongue:

It seems to have helped since he trounced me pretty good in the last game we played!

(I'm the hated Mech Tau player :ninja: )

No more advice plz.

+ Reply to Thread