Librarium Online Forums banner

1000 points of pure grot awesomeness

884 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Badruk the Mighty 
#1 ·
******THIS IS A DOUBLE POST!!!****************
(sry, the board gave me some wierd message so I pressed submit again =[ )

So, I was thinking about how sweet it would be to have a grot army, and how much trouble many armies have dealing with just masses and masses of guys; so I came up with an Idea for an army which I think may be workable (at least it would completely thrash some armies...)

HQ:
GROT COMMANDER (aka. warboss)
power claw, choppa
87 points.:yes:

TROOPS:
Da Boyz (gretchin mob)
28 gretchin
(grot) slaver w/ power claw slugga
119 pts

*6 (5 more mobs of the above)
= 714 pts

HEAVY SUPPORT:
dakka dakka (big gunz mob)
3 lobbas with 3 extra crew
99 pts

=198 pts

TOTAL = 999 pts
193 models...

So a couple of reasons why i think this army would be amazingly cool
1) cmon... AN ARMY OF GROTS!! HOW FREAKIN AWESOME IS THAT!
2) grots are hella cheap in ebay, this army would run under 100$ I think (if any of you start outbidding me on ebay gretchin I'm gonna kill you...)
3) You get to model grot slavers and a grot warlord AND give them power claws...

Now for the tactical reasons why this would be good
1) Your opponent would have nothing worthwhile to shoot... He can't target slavers... Your lobbas are behind cover... So he gets to blaze down your grots with his lascannons...
2) Once in combat your slavers would be able to wreak havoc, and it would take FOREVER to kill enough grots to get to the slavers (plus you would always outnumber your enemy like 4-1 in combat)
3) You would get to roll a ton of dice... sooner or later something would have to die
4) Most battles aren't about killing the enemy, they're about securing the objective, how could you not secure the objective with this many models....

I think that this army would be completely amazing, however I posted this list looking for feedback. I would rather not get "THIS ARMY SUCKS YOU ARE AN IDIOT," but would prefer constructive criticism. That's not to say you can't point out major flaws in the army, but please explain the flaw instead of just saying the list sucks.

Now the idea is to play this against balanced normal armies... I recognize that an armoured company would take this list to town. But for each armoured company list I play there will probably be a lascannon happy spacemarine army that I can wipe the floor with.

I recognize that I have pretty much no anti-tank weapons in my army, but all anti-tank weapons are worthwhile targets and my idea with this army is to provide my opponent with nothing worthwhile to shoot (hence the lobbas instead of kannons). I was considering giving my slavers tank buster bombs... But I would have to take out more grots for that, and am not sure how effective they would be.

Please give me feedback! Once I make this army I will be sure to have fantastic battle reports with digital photos!

See less See more
#2 ·
Mabye you should add a "Big Grot" because having your grots have a +5 cover save will just put the icing on the cake for all the frustration your army will give, hell it may even give u an advantage against armored company because u have that +5 cover against ordanance. And when the grot unit hes in dies, just move him back to the one behind it. Also if u gave him Big Horns or Iron Gob it might help keep your grots in line. It coudl be a funny conversion too, like a grot being practicly crushed but barely lifting a KFF. And this is all for a measly 45 points. Just make sure to keep him out of CC and hell be fine. Otherwise i think this list is great!

#3 · (Edited)
Try to use 2 fully loaded zzap gun (or 1 zzap 1 kannon) big guns batteries to give you some serious anti tank.

If I was going to make a Rebel Grot Army it would be like this:

Headquarters (106) This is really all I can do that is still funny and somewhat useful, especially since it will make one grot unit essentially unbreakable.

Warboss, Mega Armour, Cybork Body, Big Horns (Fashioned as Nob in Mega Armour with little grot inside using levers and control sticks and loudspeaker). [106]

Troops (762) Here to just hold the line.

29 Grots 1 Slaver (Two Grots standing on eachother's shoulders with a little bosspole) with power klaw, Squighound (grot holding loud speaker). [127]

29 Grots 1 Slaver (Two Grots standing on eachother's shoulders with a little bosspole) with power klaw, Squighound (grot holding loud speaker). [127]

Fast Attack (135) Takes care of Anti-Infantrys pretty well.

Wartrak (Grot Drivers), Skorcha, Grot Riggers, Armour Plates [45]

Wartrak (Same), Skorcha, Grot Riggers, Armour Plates [45]

Wartrak (Same), Skorcha, Grot Riggers, Armour Plates [45]

Heavy Support (497) This set-up allows the basilisk to pound them into sumbission from afar, but if they come too close or allow the zzap guns to get to them their vehicles are also doomed a fiery fate.

Big Guns Battery, 3 Zzap Guns, Maxed out Extra Crew, 1 Slaver with Squighound (like before) and 1 mekboy with KFF (two grots on top of eachother holding a wrench and KFF), tools and 3 oilers. [186]

Big Guns Battery, 3 Zzap Guns, Maxed out Extra Crew, 1 Slaver with Squighound (like before) and 1 mekboy with KFF (two grots on top of eachother holding a wrench and KFF), tools and 3 oilers. [186]

1 Looted Basilisk with Indirect Fire [125]

Total 1500

#5 ·
my problem with Bruiser's list is that the zzap guns wouldn't even last one turn, and the wartrakks would be gone quickly as well. If you have an army with only 2 worthwhile targets, they are gonna be gone really really fast.

The squighounds are a must have (forgot them on my first list), and I like a looted basilisk with indirect fire instead of the lobbas (packs a bit more punch).

Think about playing your generic SM army or IG army at 1500 points... First turn the devastator squad/leman russes/predator destructors opens fire on your zzap guns and annihilates them.

Also, I like the KFF idea, but I dont think it will cover enough models. I'm gonna have close to 200 models on the field, so my opponent can just avoid shooting the ones covered by the field.

I heard a rumor that the grabba stikk allows slavers to use their full attacks up to 4 inches away, so I was thinking about slightly abusing this rule and equpping my slavers with a grabba stick and a powerklaw, then keeping them out of dieing range in CC, yet within pwning range. (I'm not sure if you have to be hitting with the grabba stikk to get this bonus... but in the original codex it says if you have it equpped you can use full attacks on enemies up to 2" away, so I figured the updated rule would also use the words "equipped").

I was thinking about trying to update this army with some sort of a grot nob squad in a trukk, that I would keep hidden way off to the side, then charge in once my grots had engaged.

#8 ·
haha he doesn't need to copy off me, nor from the looks of it does he even like it.

My point is that you can have an all grot army with some actual fire power (big guns batteries, basilisk, buggies) and can actually be competitive.

As far as the zzap gun batteries, I find your statement hard to believe that it wouldn't last one turn. Your looking at 15 grots protected by a 5+ invuln, a slaver, squighound, 3 zzap guns which can be repaired if broken by the mek.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.