[1500] Necrons - The Unholy Scarab Horde - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

[1500] Necrons - The Unholy Scarab Horde

Call this the fevered dream of an insane mind but it would be incredible if this actually worked - a new kind of Necron Army. :yes: What I did here was simply take lots and lots of Scarabs which serve two purposes in this army. First is to destroy any vehicles that the enemy might have lurking around, a task that we all know Scarabs are very good at doing. Second is to combine their sheer numbers with the ability of Pariahs in order to drown the enemy in a tide of insectoid death by outnumbering. Even if I don't kill them in a sweeping advance, they're still running and if all of my Scarabs gang up on one unit they can cut them off and destroy them anyway.

Well, this is all in theory, anyway...

HQ
    --
    Necron Lord
    - Resurrection Orb
    - Gaze of Flame
    - Destroyer Body
    Total: 185 points

Elites
    ------
    6 Pariahs
    Total: 216 points

Troops
    ------
    12 Necron Warriors

12 Necron Warriors

12 Necron Warriors

Fast Attack
    -----------
    10 Scarab Swarms
    - Disruption Fields
    Total: 160 points

9 Scarab Swarms
    - Disruption Fields
    Total: 144 points

9 Scarab Swarms
    - Disruption Fields
    Total: 144 points

Total: 1497 points

The Warriors and Pariahs will advance with the Destroyer Lord while the Scarabs destroy the most dangerous Vehicles on the field and then double back to assault any troops that aren't killed in my Pariah volleys. By this time (hopefully), the Pariahs will have come close enough for their powers to take effect and the Necron Lord will sweep in to support the Scarabs.

What do you think? Can this army work?

No 'Pariahs Suck' comments, please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that is a unique list! Very interesting.

I have two observations, if you just use one or two scarab with disruption field (they actually get pretty spendy with disruption), so that if you need to send them after something else they are not cosing you so much and to fill out the groups completely. Also the destroyer lord could be on foot with a phylactery instead and with the extra points you could probably work in a decent flayed one squad to capitalize on the pariahs and gaze of flame or you could skip the phylactery and flayed ones just bump up your warrior count.
    Last edited by darkcrusader; May 12th, 2006 at 02:59.

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Pariahs R teh sux0rz d00d, drop em like they're hot.

Actually, if you drop 6 Warriors and the DFields from one of your 9 Scarab squads, you can fill out those Pariahs to a full unit of 10.

With your list layout the way it is, you only have 12 shots at any kind of range for the first turn or two (before the Scarabs reach CC).

Honestly, and I'll almost never ever suggest this, but with you army comp I'd drop the Res Orb from the DLord. This list is banking on those Scarabs tearing unholy hell outta the enemy in CC, but they aren't all that great at doing it. Sending the DLord up with them will definitely help them win more CCs. If you do send him off to help the Scarabs, the only unit the Res Orb will benefit would be the Lord himself, so you can use those extra points to fill out the scarab squads to to 10 units each.

Just keep those Warriors close to maximize their WBB and try to tie up/destroy those S8 weapon squads. You might even think about hiding a unit in/behind cover for a few turns, since you'd only have a 7 Phase Out if you drop the 6 Warriors.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Personally I would keep the res. orb, it enables your lord to just keep going, sure, he isn't going to be a CC monster but with the goF he will munch through low LD troops like no tomorrow. To be honest I see that army doing particularly well against tau, the warriors and pariahs slowly advance into range while the rest of the army turboboosts and tears it up in CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

264 (x6)

Taking current suggestions into account, it seems like the best idea, without compromising the theme of my army, to just drop one of the Scarab Swarms in order to top up the other two squads and add a unit of Flayed Ones to the mix in order to take full advantage of the GoF and Pariahs. The main downside here is that I lose 13 attacks (not counting the extra ones for charging) although the ones I did gain do have a better chance of wounding and can Infiltrate.

Therefore, my list would look something like this:

HQ
    --
    Necron Lord
    - Resurrection Orb
    - Gaze of Flame
    - Destroyer Body
    Total: 185 points

Elites
    ------
    6 Pariahs

7 Flayed Ones
    Total: 126 points

Troops
    ------
    12 Necron Warriors

12 Necron Warriors

12 Necron Warriors

Fast Attack
    -----------
    10 Scarab Swarms
    - Disruption Fields

10 Scarab Swarms
    - Disruption Fields

Total: 1495 points
    Phase Out @ 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more observation, if drop your pariah to 5 and increase the flayed ones to 9 it will increase your phase out to 12 and still look clean.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

251 (x8)

Personally I would advise against that, the pariahs need numbers even more than the FO do. IMO that list is solid within the theme you are going for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about dropping the phariahs, and flayed ones. For a handfull of tomb sypders? 9 extra scarab swarms are turn would be pretty freakin awesome...
    Necron 2000 14/1/13

How come everybody else on this forum has 400 wins to 2 loses? I smell cheese.... and beef... sandwich!

What was Rogal Dorn doing when the Sanguinius and the Emporer got killed???

Woohoooo I killed the treeman!!! :)

I killed the Glade riders too!!!! :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

264 (x6)

The problem with that is the Scarabs created by Tomb Spyders cannot leave the unit and must remain in coherency with their creator. This severely limits their mobility, the main advantage of a Scarab swarm. The Pariahs, as I said before, are there to help with breaking units so that they run and I sweep over them and they die. This will be further helped by my Necron Lord with Gaze of Flame. The Flayed Ones not only have a better chance of dealing damage to enemies in close combat (thus forcing them to run) but also benefit from the powers of the Pariahs and Necron Lord. The only army I'm truly worried about at them moment is Chaos Cult armies due to their fearlessness but they still suffer extra damage for being (sorely) outnumbered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering how many you will outnumber most units by it should be interesting to see, though manuvering might get a little tricky since the bases are fairly large. Also the spyder idea isn't exactly that bad either, flayed and spyder units would be moving at the same pace while spider is MC so that is 10 instead of 2 for combat resoultion along with however many swarms produced before being locked in assault. But I think that should be a seperate list.
    Last edited by darkcrusader; May 18th, 2006 at 02:50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast