1500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me whats wrong with this:

1 shash'o
    2 retinue for shash'o
    36 FW
    2 railheads
    3sniper teams

and dont say mobility, cas im ammending that with crisis suits to either, absorb opening round fire and/or screen troops with fire

edit: crap, stupid title...

1500 turny list is the title

Tau'cena Intercept Legion W2-L4-D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Ok, so you already think something is wrong with it? It's not performing well? Honestly i'd just drop the sniper drones. take broadsides, piranhas, anything. And as for fire magnets, suits aren't so good for that because one lucky lascannon hit is all it takes to vaporize you, even with shield gens. But this is just me talking, and you have to keep in mind that I think sniper drones are useless.

Vehicles make good fire magnets, especially devilfish and hammerheads. But when you're playing static tau , you're going to take some flak. There's just no way around it. If you want someone to draw fire and have a chance of not being hit at all, a small chance, you might want to shave some points off and run some stealths.
    Last edited by mephistophales; May 13th, 2006 at 05:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what ive found is when i play stealths for some reason they always go for them first.

personally i think they're being a little stupid. but just because they do that i put them in just to concentrate fire the first turn. if they declare they're rolling to see your stealth and dont make it, they cant shoot!! pretty much the only reason i have them, oh and for the burst cannons. 3 str5 ap5 shots per dude and they infiltrate seemed like a bonus to me, lol.

i just bought a unit of sniper drones the other day and painted 'em all up. i havnt used them yet, but im gonna play a big 1850 battle tonight with them in it. ill tell you what i think of them then.

ttyl
    Mikey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Ditch the sniper drones. Firstly you need pathfinders, the markerlights they can bring to the table will make up for their short lifespan. Also stealth teams are fantastic units, I try to include at least 1 3-man team at 1000 pts, they are invaluable and my opponents always try to eliminate them first leaving the rest of my army free to do what they want for a turn or two.
    Piranhas seem to be good units, haven't had a chance to field test them myself yet but they have the flexibility Tau need.
    Finally I find the commander works best on his/her own, they get the benefit of the Independant Character rules meaning that as long as they aren't the closest unit they cannot be targeted during the shooting phase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what if i were to add stealth suits? because lately the sniper drones are actually extreemly helpful. the people i play fera them because of their markerlight and highpower weapons and wont shoot them because of the spotting range rule... so i was thinking of upping my army to a 1850 from my 1500 and add some stealths. ant ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x3)

Well, stealths are always good. And they're fire magnets against inexperienced players, I like to take at least one fusion gun, as you never know when you'll find an ill placed tank or HQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

But if you do take a Fusion blaster in a stealth team do it with larger squads as you reduce the fire coming from the squad. At small squad sizes (3 or 4 man teams) you need the higher amount of fire as their prime role is as an anti-infantry squad and lure.
    If you know that your opponent will be drawn to them you can use them as a lure in a Kauyon technique by setting them up and drawing them back into a fire lane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

define fire lane please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x3)

Fire lane- static tau deploys to creat lines across the battlefield where multiple squads can take multiple shots at approaching opponents. Static tau seeks to draw or force the opponent into a firing lane where they will be vaporized.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SystemiK
    Tell me whats wrong with this:

1 shash'o
    2 retinue for shash'o
    36 FW
    2 railheads
    3sniper teams

and dont say mobility, cas im ammending that with crisis suits to either, absorb opening round fire and/or screen troops with fire

edit: crap, stupid title...

1500 turny list is the title
    1 well for a start its Shas'O (sorry only kidding) a Shas'O is a good thing dependent on what you equip him with, my personal taste is the Helios PL/FU/MUL,I ue a shield gen to, this is a fantastic set up with the BS of the shas and the independent charascter status, its very good at taking down armour especially transports. the important thing here is the IC status and this leads nicely to the next point.

2 Do not and I repeat do not take a retinue, the retinue basically screws a Shas'O leaving him open to being targeted as part of the unit, it leaves him vulnerable to taking tests for casualty loss etc, the best set up for a 1500 pt tourny list would be another HQ choice Shas'El with MP/PL/MUL or Helios as per Shas'O and another XV8 Helios, the best use for XV8's is as armour hunters and taking down tough units, they simply do not have the firepower available to engage masses of infantry or related units so I go for the assured results given by high strength low AP weaponry

3 Fire Warriors again in a tourny it depends on how your going to use them, to be quite honest 36 in 1500 is to much, I would take 24 all with rail rifles and take a unit of Kroot, in a tourny your going to encounter a lot of assault based armies and having the Kroot as a close support option for the FW used primarily to add fire support and as a secondry to counter assault any unit that gets to the FW lines. You can also use them as infiltrate units to push back opponents units.
    Give them all rifles, do not give them bonding, markerlights if you have to give them something give them a couple of gun drones.

4 Railheads are in my humble opinion misunderstood and misused, everyone thinks they are uber armor killers well they arent, the XV8 with fusion is a much better option for killing tanks, I am combining the railhead with pathfinders at the moment, say for instance I get 5 ML hits, I can up the BS to 5 and then I am hitting on 2+ wounding most stuff on 2+ with the majorirty of infantry targets having a 4+ or worse save the casualty rate is very good even against Marines, I can reduce cover saves and reduce LDS,this is what the railhead is good at infantry killing and even light armour/bike killing to.
    By all means if you have the opportunity take out armour, but in a tourny situation make sure you give the HH multi tracker and decoys, move it 12" EVERY turn and target the opponents infantry or 4+ /5+ save units, resist the temptaton to take SMS etc you dont need them keep it basic.

5 Sniper units, I dont know why but this unit really does not appeal, cant move and shoot and it seems awful expensive for 9 STR6 shots and it takes up a valuable heavy slot, me I always take 3 HH to tournys (1500) and 2 in 1000pt, I would lose the stealths unless you have a preference and a plan for them. I would dump them and take a stealth team instead you will get a lot more use from a full strength stealth team than the snipers, the distraction value alone is worth the cost, its amazing how many opponents hate stealths and wil devote a lot of firepower to taking them down.

So for a decent 1500pt list you need at least 2 HQ XV8 suits I take Shas'o and El but 2 Els is good make them helios and take 2 more XV8 (either Helos or Fireknife) and a stealth team,
    2 units of 12FW and a decent sized Kroot team. Two Hammerheads with Rail/BC/Multi and decoys, now that not 1500pts so depending on the points available I would consider another FW unit with a DF or a unit of pathfinders, me I would take the PF unit because the new ML rules are quite simply awesome.

Anyway thats the best advice I can give you with the scant amount of detail you provided, one last point do not screen FW with XV8 suits and if you can find the points take a drone sqaud as protection for the Shas'O. hope that helps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast