2000 Ulthwe Strike Force. Help Please. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Ulthwe Strike Force. Help Please.

This is my very first Strike Force although I have played other eldar lists and this army has always been what I've strived to play. Anyway enough with the small talk, here it is.

HQ-350
    Seer Council with-
    Farseer 1-Fortune, s/p, ccw, Runes of Witnessing, Ghosthelm, Wraithgate.

Farseer 2-Guide, s/p, ccw, Runes of Witnessing, Ghosthelm.

Farseer 3-Guide, s/p, ccw, Runes of Witnessing, Ghosthelm.

Warlock 1-Augment, s/p, ccw.

Warlock 2-Augment, s/p, ccw.

Warlock 3-Embolden, s/p, ccw.

Warlock 4-Enhance, s/p, ccw.

=350

Elites-200
    8 Fire Dragons- Exarch with Firepike, Burning Fist and Tank Hunters.200

Troops-765
    10+2 Guardians-Starcannon Platform, Warlock with s/p, ccw, Embolden.153

Fast Attack-225
    Vyper-Brightlance.75

Vyper-Brightlance.75

Vyper-Brightlance.75

Heavy Support-460
    2 Warwalkers-Both have 2 Brightlances.230

2 Warwalkers-Both have 2 Brightlances.230

Troops:75
    Tanks/Walkers/Skimmers:7

So what do you think? It's very troop heavy I know.

Thanks in advance.

DP Excerion

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Before I help you further; why is this a strike force? You have only shooty units, the only ones that has range less than 36" are the Fire Dragons. This could as well be a normal Ulthwé army, and should work better as such since you don't have to keep half of them in reserve.

Ulthwé = Shooty at range

USF = Assaulty, some close range shooting + long range support.

Take a read in my USF tactica, you can reach it in the link in my signature.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some serious firepower there. bs4 brightlances and starcannons aplenty.

by the look of your seer council they are hanging back and supporting your guardian squads with guide. if this is what they are doing, your list is pretty damn solid. what is coming out of the gate?

at least 6 of those units must start in reserve and if your seer council is going to hang back to buff up the guardians, your wraithgate units should compose of some kind of counter charge. to this end, i'd put a fully tooled squad of banshees in reserve rather than fire dragons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor
    Before I help you further; why is this a strike force? You have only shooty units, the only ones that has range less than 36" are the Fire Dragons. This could as well be a normal Ulthwé army, and should work better as such since you don't have to keep half of them in reserve.

Ulthwé = Shooty at range

USF = Assaulty, some close range shooting + long range support.

Take a read in my USF tactica, you can reach it in the link in my signature.
    I read it and the reason its strike force is so I have BS4. I pay about 50 extra points for my army to be BS4 is a good cost.

I tried Banshees in a game and they came out early and got killed. I will try them again however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

You get BS4 yes, but you still have to put half of your army in reserve which is a bad thing for any shooty army. You will lose half of your firepower for the first round, a quarter for the 2nd, etc. Since your army comes in chunks, it will be easier for an opponents army to rip you asunder piece by piece. Especially if they are Nids.

In any case, I feel that 11 BS4 bright lances is a bit overkill. Maybe change 2 of them to star cannon and another 2 into EML?

Three Farseers are usually one too many.

Some of your Guardian squads need Conceal instead of Embolden, you will not find cover for everyone and you need some more mobility. Without conceal they cannot move in the open without getting minced.

You also need to mark out which of your units are going to come out of the gate. You need to select 6 of them.

BTW, you pay the BS4 with the tactical withdrawal special rule for the Guardians and with added points for the vehicles. You then get a massive unit restriction on your head.
    Last edited by Viktor; May 15th, 2006 at 07:09.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll add some Storm Guardians witth Conceal for combat and some banshees and make the Vypers have Star Cannons. WHat do people think of that and the guardian squads with Scatter Lasers? If I took away a farseer, which one should it be?

Thanks for all the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

black storm guardians + enhance and banshees coming out of the gate is pretty damn scary. i'd go for that if i were you. scatter lasers are very hit and miss. but they'll get less complaints than starcannons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

HQ:

As victor mentions, two farseers should be enough to do all that a seer council does. Consider giving the farseers a witchblade though, I've often found that only two witchblade farseers can turn the tide of combat to your favour.

Also consider giving the wraithgate to warlock. The upside to doing this is when the warlock dies the wraithgate is deployed straight away during the opponents turn, normally you would have to deploy it in your turn giving the opponent a turn to act to the new threat, this way you don;t give him this oppitunity. The downside is that the warlock may die too early, but in my time in playing USF with only 2 farseers and 3 warlocks this has never been the case, since I watch out to what I expose the squad to.

Give it a wiz for a game just to try it out, the results should be pleasing if you are careful.

Elites:

Hmmmm not a huge favour of these in a strike force. This is because the amount of vehicals you can shoot at are limited to the general facinity of where the gate is dropped. If you choose to foot slog them, well needless to say this is a bad idea with such low armoured personel. I would favour Banshees over these, the fleet of foot will help them get into combat effectively though there may be a few games where you could just be out by an inch but this will happen sometimes.

Troops:

Embolden is ok consideirng the threat of tactical withdrawal but I would prefer conceal, you shouldn't really be allowing the opponent to shoot at these anyway.

Consider changing one or two of these squads into storm gaurdians. As someone mentioned earlier combined with enhance these can be very threatening due to the large number of attacks they have and striking first most the time.

Generally I would watch out for over crowding, you don;t want too many close combatists and too many shooting, keep note whatever can't come out will just die. So consider removing a squad or two if needed and convert them to somethig else, like jetbikes or support platforms, something that will start off on the board instead of reserve.

Fast:

These are fine although I would give them the Crystal targetting matrix, this will protect them from a lot of shooting and their small size makes them viable for hiding behind terrain. It's a very worth while investment.

Heavy:

A tad bit overkill with the brightlances IMO. You are probably better off converting one of the squadrons into a starcannon team since I doubt you will fight all that many tanks unless it's an imperial gaurd armoured company. Mechanised armies are easy enough to deal with due to their low armour values on transports.

Overall:

Consider replacing some of the gaurdians with some other units. Jetbikes do well when given a warlock with destructor and singing spear.

In general too much shooting for an USF as many others say. Some combat squads will go a long way as they rip through squad after squad. Also the sheild of combat prevents them from being shot to peices.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's every good and will get on it. Those 6 Brightlances didnt kill 2 AV12 defilers in 5 turns. It was really annoying. I played a game where my men got piled into cover and were very close and prey to ordance. I will swap the dragons for banshees and take some Strom Guardians and drop a faresser. Which one should I drop out of the three?

+ Reply to Thread