first 500 points advice wanted - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first 500 points advice wanted

this is my first go at a army list using the new dex, first of all i should explain that me and my friend have decided to collect a new army at the same time me-nids him-chaos we have a budget of 100 a month and have decided to play each other in 500 increments so thius is my first one and thus i wish info and critisim on it as it will take ages to get as is without having to buy things to replace models that havn't performed well

hq= 3 warriors, rending claws, scything talons, extended carapace= 81

troops= 16 hormagaunts= 160
    8 hormagaunts= 80
    8 gaunts, fleshbourers= 48

heavy support= 2 zoanthropes,warp blast, psychic scream= 130

total is 499

da plan is to have the hormagaunts actually hang back behind the smaller gaunt units till i'm able to throw them into somthin then the larger unit wil clean up or continue to pummel so the warriors can stroll in later and kick some heads all the whil the zoanthropes take out any tanks i might face and soften up some units (psychic scream to make sure that the enemy runs if i beat them) alternatevly i could switch out psy scream for synapse or catalyst dependent on performance or situation

"take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not enough synapse
    once your warriors go, and they most probably will be high priority targets
    in which case, psychic scream wont help much, since it wont be your opponents who will break and run, so swap psychic scream for synapse

split up the group of 16 hormagaunts into 2 groups of 8

erm.... or get genestealers instead. with EC, theyll come to the same cost as 16 hormies
    (and cheaper $$$ wise)

if your gaunts are just there to soak up fire, make em spinegaunts, since they are cheaper

if you swap out your termagants for spinegaunts, this gives you an extra 8 pts, add that to your 1 left over, you can give all 3 warriors toxin sacs perhaps
    thatll give you 500pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this one better?

hq= 3 warriors, scything talons, rending claws, extended carapace, leaping- 105

troops= 8 hormagaunts- 80

8 hormagaunts-80

5 rippers, spinefists- 55

8 termagants- 48

heavy support= 2 zoanthropes, warpblast, psychic scream OR synapse- 130

total= 498

numbers= 34

the idea is to advance my hormys and warriors behind the rippers and gaunts (if their guns can account for anything then bonus) the thropes will stick deal with tanks and soften units they will take synapse if i face overwhelming firepower otherwise psy scream to give my gaunts more time in cc with a 12 inch charge on the warriors they should be able to avoid massed rapid fire as will the hormys
    Last edited by Plague_00; May 17th, 2006 at 09:00.
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont agree with the psychic scream for your zoanthropes mainly because of the same reason i stated before, not enough synapse

you've give your warriors leaping now, which will let them keep up easily, but picture this, the warriors will most likely charge with the hormagaunts, having a 12" charge range

if you only take synapse wen the oppoent has lots of shooting... well...
    if they arent shooting, that would indicate, i think, that they are decked out with CC

given that, you opponent only has to focus on your warriors once they come into contact, once they're down, they can kill off your hormies, probably make them break and run because of low Ld and no synapse whatsoever
    Last edited by Dark_exCal; May 17th, 2006 at 18:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Plague_00
    ithe idea is to advance my hormys and warriors behind the rippers and gaunts (if their guns can account for anything then bonus) the thropes will stick deal with tanks and soften units they will take synapse if i face overwhelming firepower otherwise psy scream to give my gaunts more time in cc with a 12 inch charge on the warriors they should be able to avoid massed rapid fire as will the hormys
    The list looks sound. Except against a Smurf army. You lack effective units for killing SM's/Chaos, Zoans are great so are your leaping warriors, Rending is your friend.

At this lvl I would drop the psychic scream and use synapse. Having said that if you use units like Genestealers and Rippers the Need for synapse reduces. However preventing an instant kill is always nice.

Since your fighting Chaos, I would suggest genestealers. Unfortunately hormagaunts are about on par with SM in HtH (or worse). Hormagaunts go at the same time with 3 attacks because they will get the charge, however at S3 T3, to wound is a 5+ and the famous Power Armor save is 3+. Conversely to wound is 3+ for the Chaos and save 6+ both chaos and hormies hit on a 4+. Hormagaunts are great against foes not as tough and strong as SM however against SM you really need Genestealers even in a 500 Point Encounter.

I would grab some genestealers 6-8 give them EC (to save against bolters) and scuttle if points allow it... This helps guarentee a second turn assault, hence reducing the fire they take.

As a second troops choice I would take Spinerippers. I love these guys they are often overlooked by the enemy until to late. A spine ripper is a ripper base with leaping, +1S spinefists and +1BS. 20points per base. This gives them 7 S4 attacks on the charge (3 from the gun and 4 from the charge) while Marines find it easier to hit them they cost less per wound than hormies benefit from the charge can shoot are mindless get +1 cover save.... negatives include vulnerable to S6 weapons and templates, lower iniative, no FoF (fleet of Foot). I don't think of the S6 as a negative so much because if there shooting at them then your MC's are much safer.

so putting it all together

3 Warriors your setup -105
    8 Genestealers -184
    2 Zoans -130
    4 Spinerippers -80

total = 499pts
    18 models (cheaper in $$)
    30 Wounds average = 17pts a wound.... just over a space marine....

Every model is decent at killing Chaos... Every model is a threat...

I'll jsut do some quick maths to support the army. assuming 5 chaos 1 purely CC so 7 attacks.
    8 hormgaunts charge and kill on average 1.33 Chaos
    Chaos kill 1.94 Hormies

8 Termagants shooting Chaos on average kill 1 a turn
    in return Chaos kill 1.78 Termagants

8 genestealers on the Charge kill 6 chaos
    no chance for chaos to fight back massacre....

Chaos kill on average do 2 wounds to the spinerippers
    Spine Rippers kill on average 2.44 chaos on the charge
    no loss of life to the rippers due to 3 wounds per base.

point wise effectiveness of genestealers vs hormagaunts
    Genestealers kill 4.5x more effectively for only 2.3x the cost. and will arrive in combat at the same time as scuttle is equivalent of the extra 6" of the hormagaunt charge. Genestealers will also survive shooting better with a 4+ save and wounding on a 4+. On average 1 genestealer dies to every 6 bolters shot at it. compared to 1 hormagaunt dies for every 2.25 bolters shot at it.

Carni

PS the units are also good against other army types. The spine rippers are fantastic against Tau.

PS math doesn't determine the outcome but it does provide useful analysis
    Last edited by Carnifexus; May 18th, 2006 at 14:34.
    If you like the post click the *STAR* <===

+ Reply to Thread