Toying Around with 'Nids [1500] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toying Around with 'Nids [1500]

Toying around with Nids:

HQ:

Broodlord with Retinue (233)
    Flesh Hooks; Feeder Tendrils; Toxin Sacs
    Retinue of 7x Genestealers; Flesh Hooks; Extended Carapace

Troops:

8x Genestealers (192)
    Flesh Hooks; Extended Carapace; Scuttlers

8x Genestealers (192)

8x Genestealers (192)

8x Genestealers (192)

Heavy Support:

1x Carnifex (163)
    2x Venom Cannon; Enhanced Senses

1x Carnifex (163)

1x Carnifex (163)

Total 1490

It seems like a simple list with very high utility. Stealers move quickly towards the enemy, utilizing cover, while the carnifexes annihilate any tank / skimmer that would give the stealers problems. In combat, the stealers can destroy just about anything. The only thing I think may be a little overkill is having 3x Venom Cannon Carnifex. I don't like mixing the BS with the VC as it seems like it would mix up the role of the carnifex too much.

Criticism is welcomed.

Last edited by Bruiser117; May 25th, 2006 at 23:29.
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG!!

That list.. so sad...

I would (and am) suggestthat you please oh please put in some more Synapse creatures. Also all those Genestealers will not do well. You also lack variety perhaps put in some Lictors a Biovore and generally mix it up.

If you need more I'll be checking up on you later.
    The following was an outstanding repsonce in the Thread "Broodlord and his BS skill"

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Well, you never know... it might come in handy if he decides to throw a dead Guardsman at someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by User_42
    OMG!!

That list.. so sad...

I would (and am) suggestthat you please oh please put in some more Synapse creatures. Also all those Genestealers will not do well. You also lack variety perhaps put in some Lictors a Biovore and generally mix it up.

If you need more I'll be checking up on you later.
    From other lists i've seen and battle reports i've read, armies similar to this seem to do well. Genestealers are made to act rather independantly and away from synapse, and carnifexes are fearless, which i'm assuming means they pass all instinctive behavior tests or don't even have to do so. I really don't see why it is so sad or why it needs biovores and lictors. A list doesn't need a large melting pot of units to do well--simplicity tends to overcome overcomplication.
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First let me address the Carnifex/fearless issue. He still must make an Instinctive roll. However, should he fail it, with LD10, he will not fall back. Instinctive behavior is not quite a morale roll even though it uses LD to test. The alternative is to just have the CFex lurk and avoid the LD test altogether. He can still shoot just cant move. Being Gunfex's you really dont need them to move far anyway.

On the same model different topic. 2xVenom cannons are okay, but that just makes them twinlinked. If you took the Barbed Strangler and Venom Cannon you would be getting 3 shots per round instead of two. Granted you wont be getting rerolls but you also stand the chance with the Barbed Strangler of actually getting a penetrating roll. Your choice though on this but IMO go with the Barbed and the Venom.

As far as the Synapse and the Stealers. No they dont need synapse, this is true. However, outside of synapse they function like normal troops, making their morale test at 25% shooting casualties and so forth. If they fail morale, they still run towards the nearest synapse, or if none is present then to your table edge. To run without synapse is a blessing and a curse, since you get to be independant but you also cant fall back to "momma" when things go tough.

Otherwise, decent list but I expect it to take alot of shooting casualties turn one possibly turn two. Once in hand to hand it should be ugly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

First, I loathe lists that use all genestealers, but that's your huckleberry.

Here are a few things to help:

Reduce broodlord retinue to minimum requirements in order for easier placement out of LoS.

Change your broods of 4 8genestealers to 5 6-genestealer broods. More targets, good.

Those carnifexes really aren't worth their points. Consider taking one away, changing the other two for EC, ES, BS, and VC combos, and use your last heavy support for a pair of zoanthropes for WB and maybe synapse (I recommend synapse, instant death is not fun).

Your all-genestealer approach limits your tactical flexibility somewhat. Consider canning a squad and using the points for termagaunts. Granted, they're not that useful, but masses of them will annoy skimmers to no end.

Also, consider taking scuttlers and flesh hooks off your genestealers. Yes, I know assaulting into cover hurts, but consider this--use those points for spinegaunts and you have quite a bit of fodder. Attack enemy squads in 2 or 3 to one styles (like a 5 man tac squad in cover), be in synapse with broodlord so gaunts don't run away and since they still outnumber, they don't suffer from No Retreat. In the rulebook, after the first round of combat, it's swept into cover so they don't receive their cover bonuses.

Your list looks like it'd work well against Space Marines, but against other armies, even other MEQ armies, you might have problems. Against a SoB force, for example, I could see problems especially with drive-by flamers on genestealers and three exorcists handling your long-range firepower (theoretically, an exorcist could take out a carnifex on a one to one basis). Another would be Imperial Guard with their out of LoS basilisks and hellhounds. Even Tau might be able to harrass you if they deepstrike enough plasma armed Crisis suits behind your genestealers and fry the carnifexes while submunitions take care of your genestealers and those artificer armor clad broadsides *grumbles*

As for mixing the BS and VC with the carnifex, each of those weapons compliments each other. The VC has multiple shots and when it hits, odds are it'll glance just about anything. It takes out high classed vehicles. The BS is also extremely high strength and has a chance of penetrating. Also, the carnifex shouldn't be shooting at masses of low-class soldiers, no, it goes for those multi-wound models for that instant death (like tau crisis suits). Those twin-linked venom cannons are horridly expensive and only marginally better at destroying vehicles. On armor 10 and 11, the venomfex (TL-VC) has about a three percent better chance than a sniperfex (VC, BS). At armor 12, the sniper fex has about a .1% advantage. At armor 13, the sniperfex has a 3% advantage over the venomfex. At armor 14, the sniperfex has about a .5% advantage over the venomfex. So, basically, the sniperfex beats out the venomfex unless you're facing skimmers in which case you take a devilfex (which is ten percent more effective against armor 10 than a venomfex).
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

+ Reply to Thread