my first Tyranid list (1500) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my first Tyranid list (1500)

Tyranid army list V. 1 “Balanced Hybrid Swarm?

Hive tyrant: 182
    Acid maw, adrenal glands (I&WS), flesh hooks, toxin sacs, toxic miasma, winged, 2 sets of scything talons

Lictor: 80
    1 lictor

Carnifex: 113
    “Dakkafex? 1 w/ enhanced senses, 2 twin-linked devourers

Genestealer brood: 204
    12 w/ flesh hooks

Gaunts: 75
    15 w/ spinefists

Hormagaunt brood: 132
    12 w/ flesh hooks

Hormagaunt brood: 132
    12 w/ flesh hooks

Warrior brood: 288
    6 w/ adrenal glands (I&WS), flesh hooks, toxin sacs, winged, rending claws, scything talons (48 pts. Each)

Zoanthropes: 130
    2 w/ synapse creature, warp blast

Carnifex: 163
    “Gunfex? 1 w/ enhanced senses, reinforced chitin, barbed strangler, venom cannon

Total points: 1499
    Total models: 63
    TMC: 3
    Synapse units: 4

1 HQ, 2 elites, 4 troops, 1 fast attack, 2 heavy support choices

After much research I decided to make my Tyranid army list. This list is intended to be balanced and somewhat fast with a few big beasties. The Tyrant is my favorite choice because he has a lot of potential, also the warriors may be expensive but as long as I’m smart with them they can do a lot of damage (plus they are fast!) the small critters are just to bulk out the army and do what small ‘nids generally do. Although its tempting to field a CC carnifex I know they are much more efficient when they shoot. Mine provide 2 solid scoring units in my back filed that can pump a lot of damage out. The zoanthropes are just more synapse and the have the strength 10 warp blast to help with tanks. I include the lictor because I love the fluff and the psychological effect they have on some players is awesome, it will be fun to use!

This list is balanced in my opinion and I can try many different strategies /tactics with it. A flank attack with my fast units, for example, could be very effective.

please give me your advice and opinions. thank you for reading

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Take fleshhooks off your genestealers, you shouldn't be assaulting into cover with them anyway. Also, divide them into two broods of six.

Try to squeeze another spinegaunt up. Even numbers help with VPs.

Take the fleshhooks off your hormagaunts. If you want to keep both of them, shave off four from each squad and make a sixth troop choice. If you really want to have them, take out twelve then put back as many in spine/terma-gaunts as you can.

You have enough firepower to force things out of cover. You really only have to worry about MEQs in cover, anything else you can steamroll. But usually their armor is better than the cover save so you can hide in cover as well and outshoot them, especially as you chip away at their mobile forces.

I really suggest you get another heavy support. Your six troop choices are your trump card. Most armies have three heavy supports, very few will deploy with you all the way through your troops. What this means is that you can deploy to counter their units more effectively.

Flank attacks are all well and good, but it leaves you open to defeat in detail, and, unlike us, quite a few armies have weapons that cover the entire field, all the time. I suggest you attack en masse straight through the enemy through firing lands to block LoS as much as possible. This list is quite similar to mine, in fact, excet I use a walky tyrant with guard, no lictors, and two squads of shooty warriors (and my suggestions above and usually only one squad of horms, if that).

Welcome to the horde!

PS-You might want to consider EC on your sniperfex instead of reinforced chitin. You want your monstrous creature in cover in the first few rounds (lascannons hurt...) so you should get that save. Which means that small arms fire (like bolters and such) will use your better 3+ save. With the upgraded save, you'll only fail 1/6 instead of 1/3
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow thank you for your reply! i will be revising it after i get some more opinions but why dont you like flesh hooks? especially with city fight and such, they seem almost manditory to me

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Indeed a nice list. I only see a couple of things I might change.

I'll go with a synapses creature or two behind the gaunts, warriors do this job good since they can't be targeted out if they are not nearest creature. This is simply to having all your gaunts inside synapse range. You might consider giving them EC and making them leaping and then split them up into two broods - this way makes them 3 pts cheaper each (18 pts total) and you have some synapse to get your gaunts moving all the time

I'll split up my stealer's into two broods of six.

Exchange the chitin with EC, it is way better for your sniperfex

And get one more spine gaunt or one less. Even numbers are best

I like your idea with using flesh hooks, but that only works if you know that you'll play a lot of city fights and if you are planning to charge into cover often, else they are kind of waste of points
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

I didn't say I didn't like flesh hooks, I said I didn't like flesh hooks on genestealers. I'm spoiled in that I like having my genestealers go first, and having six going at the same time as a butt load of marines with a commander in the mix is not my idea of fun. No, I'd rather shove gaunts down their throat and charge in the next turn once combat has been swept into cover.

However, I love flesh hooks on my carnifexes. Nothing annoys marine players more than a fully tooled out CC monster that normally strikes dead last striking simultaneously...before powerfists! ^_^

Plus, Cities of Death isn't out yet, so we don't know all those fun rules. Like the ones I'm hearing about Marines taking a medical bay to let them reroll their 3+ and/or 2+ saves. Have I mentioned how much I *hate* Marines?

Arakiaz, I'd take a zoanthrope over a squad of warriors anyday, however, if you do take warriors, I've found that leaping warriors are insanely...sucky. That's enough points for a squad of genestealers that moves like crap, has a giant "shoot me!" sign on their backs, and generally bad karma all around (left over from the 3rd edition "hey, shoot them with lascannons!" mentality, I believe). I find shooty warriors to be a safer choice, not because they're cheaper (which they ain't) nor because of the damage that they can inflict (which is slightly greater than six genestealers simply because they can absorb wounds without losing effectiveness), but because they can start doing damage immediately. If you can't fleet, then shoot. Put pressure on the enemy. Make them choose a gaunt swarm or the warriors. Now, I think we can both agree to disagree on the shooty warriors versus close combat warriors, but how about we agree on both? Gaunts with raveners dotted in (raveners ARE close combat warriors except without synapse and more effective) with shooty warriors as backup?

But, anyway, I play a lot of missions and unless it's meatgrinder or something, if people want to stay in cover in their deployment zone, that's fine with me. Our troops are fast enough to sneak out of LOS and holder objectives. Plus we can shoot them back. ^_^

Also, if you're still insistant on flank attacks, consider gargoyles! Just about every vehicle has rear armor ten, meaning gargoyles have two ways to hurt--strength four fleshborders followed by strength four bio-plasma (which can hit skimmers in CC!). Watch the jaws of your opponent drop as that hugely expensive leman russ goes pop to twelve point models *snickers*
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

+ Reply to Thread