1050 Point Friendly Tau, First Time PLayer, PLease Comment - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1050 Point Friendly Tau, First Time PLayer, PLease Comment

Hey all,

Ya so this is my first time playing Warhammer, my friends got me into it. So ya I have made a Tau army, I was hoping to make it a 1000 points, but i went 50 over, oops. Anywho I hope that you comment on my army to help me along, and so far all I have heard is how necrons and dark elves will pwn me, my friends are saying this, basically saying their armies will pwn mine. So help me refine my plan please, here it is...

HQ
    127-1 Shas’o w/ Cyclic Ion Blaster, Missile Pod, Multi Tracker, Iridium Armor and Drone Controller
    30-2 Shield Drones
    72- Sash’vre w/ Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle and the Multi Tracker Support System
    64- Sash’vre w/ Missile Pod, Fusion Blaster and the Multi Tracker Support System

Troops
    110-11 Sash’la w/ Pulse Rifle’s
    20-1 Sash’ui w/ Pulse Rifle

110-11 Sash’la w/ Pulse Rifle’s
    20-1 Sash’ui w/ Pulse Rifle

105-15 Kroot w/ Kroot Rifle
    24-4 Kroot Hounds w/ Ferocious Fangs
    33-1 Kroot Shaper w/ Pulse Rifle

Heavy Support
    85-1 Broad Side Shas’vre w/ Twin linked Railgun’s, Smart Missile System and Multi Tracker Support System

85-1 Broad Side Shas’vre w/ Twin linked Railgun’s, Smart Missile System and Multi Tracker Support System

165-1 Hammerhead Gunship w/ Railgun (submunition) and Smart Missile System and Disruption Pod

1050 Points

Peace

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hiya

first of all let me say that you have got the basics right so well done...

now if i may i will offer some advice:

H.Q

Shas'o <-- cool

Cyclic Ion Blaster, Missile Pod, Multi Tracker, Iridium Armor and Drone Controller
    30-2 Shield Drones
    <---- not so cool sorry.

first of all the Cyclic Ion Blaster is complicated for the vetern playes with everyone having different views on what the rules say and it isnt even that good, St 3 Ap 4...

suggestion:

Shas'o:
    twin linked missile pod - this basically gives you a twin linked autocannon with 36" range
    Iridium Armour: 2+ save...nice!
    Shield Generator: 4+ invulnerable
    Stimulant injector: feel no pain
    hardwired blacksun filter

Total: 146

so here we have a Shas'o, who hides in cover, comes out in the movement phase, shoots 2 str 7 ap 4 twin linked shots at something, then ducks back into cover in the assault phase. should he not quite make it, he has a 2+ save, a 4+ invulnerable and feel no pain which means that he can ignore half of the wounds actaully taken.

as for the body guard, well thats your choice really, but if you take them then the enemy can target the unit, meaning they can take out your general, where as if he stays a lone wolf then they can't due to the Independent character rule

ELITES:

here you might want to consider putting those 2 Shas'vre as ordinary Shas'ui. they would be cheaper and properly more effective.

suggestion:

2x Shas'ui

Plasma rifle
    Missile Pod
    Hardwired Multi tracker
    Target lock

total: 134

may sound like a lot, but if you use these right you can easily buy their points back by killing harder to kill enemies, like marines. stay behind cover, move 6" in the movement phase, shoot 24" plasma and 36" missile pods, then move back behine cover. Works everytime!

TROOPS

Not bad generally here, and my only comment would be why do you want the Shas'ui each time unless you want to give him some wargear? it is a lot of points of not a lot really, but it is down to you. Also maybe you might want to give one squad a devilfish.

suggestion:

12x Firewarriors
    Devilfish
    Multitracker

11x Firewarriors

total: 320

with that you keep the group with no transport static and shooting the most damaging enemy troops, whilst keeping the devilfish behind cover, darting out, troops out, rapid fire, get back in, move off. my advice here would be keep this mobile, and use the 24 Str 5 shots combined with the other 12 from the other group to pick enemy units apart.

With the kroot the only thing i will say is drop the shaper.. you dont need him. for 21 points you get 2 attacks and 1 ld...i personally think that they could be spent else where to buy someone upgrades which would help more, but again thats your choice.

suggestion:

15x kroot
    5x Kroot hound

total:135

inflitrate this unit as close as possible, then flank the enemy, STICKING TO COVER AT ALL TIMES!! that is the most important bit. Use the firewarriors and the crisis to take out enemy units that look like they might threaten the kroot.

HEAVY SUPPORT

my advice here would be to lose one broadside to allow you to give some nifty kit to others. Give him a target array so that he has bs 4, and hardwire a multi tracker and a target lock to allow him to shoot both weapons at different units.

suggestion:

1x Broadside

Railguns
    Smart missiles
    Target array
    Hardwired Multi tracker
    Hardwired Target lock

total: 90

the hammerhead...the best bit. Give him a railgun, and use the solid shot to remove enemy tanks, then and only then think about the submunition rounds to weaken enemy troops. Dont worry you can change the round each turn.
    The tank can have loads of useful upgrades which will prolong his life:

suggestions:

1x hammerhead

Railgun
    smart missiles
    Multi tracker
    Distruption pod

total: 175

The hammerhead can now move 12" and still fire the railgun. If an enemy tank or heavy weapon squad threatens him, move him behind and out of cover, where he still can use his railgun to take out tanks, but the enemy tanks cant hit him

TOTAL ARMY: 1000 points exactly of kick ass tau!!!

That might seem like a big change, but really its not. all i did was add a few units and change a few. Hope that this helps some, if not pm me and yell abuse :yes:

I appreaciate all comments from anyone about my ideas

Commisar Gaunt

"i pity the poor fool"

COMMISSAR GAUNT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not quite gaunt.

never, ever, ever twin link weapons on a shas'o. Ever. It hits on a 2+, twinlinking them is assenine. One thing about the commander, he can be instakilled by any S8 weapons, it is more important to keep him in cover, take off the shield gen, armor, and sheild drones and hide him in cover. I like the MP/CIB makeup as he will be good against light vehicles and infantry, just keep him hidden from high str. weapons, for gods sake.

Also, consiter taking a unit of 8 gundrones, and having him join that unit, they can all keep up with him, and it is a cheap way to stick 8 more wounds on him, if you get shot at with a krak missile or lazcannon you can allocate the wound to them instead. Givein him drones as wargear makes him lose the independant character status, while he can jump in and out of the gun drone unit.

You can only have 2 HQ choices, so your army list is illegal. I suggest removing both of the shas'vre and one broadside to free up points for one unit of helios(plasma rifle/F crisis suit unit of 3, bonded( or just three units of one without bonding, if you dont use markerlights this is probably a better choice for you). They do a terrifying ammount of damage against necrons. expecially with markerlight support

The kroot will help you alot against the necron, but will get torn to peices against the dark elves in CC. The leadership helps, keep the shaper.

put a decoy launcher on the hammerhead.

yup!
    All of which makes me anxious, sometimes unbearably so

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xofek
    not quite gaunt.

never, ever, ever twin link weapons on a shas'o. Ever. It hits on a 2+, twinlinking them is assenine. One thing about the commander, he can be instakilled by any S8 weapons, it is more important to keep him in cover, take off the shield gen, armor, and sheild drones and hide him in cover. I like the MP/CIB makeup as he will be good against light vehicles and infantry, just keep him hidden from high str. weapons, for gods sake.
    Do not remove the shield gen, like Xofek said he can be insta killed by STR8 weapons and there are many weapons that can do this ordnance weapons that need no LOS or dont have to target the commander directly, there are units that can target the commander regardless like Vindicare assasins and Farseers etc so that shield gen has its uses who do you think that farseer or vindicare is going to target hmm, the iridium armour is a good option to but I would take the stimulrant injectors and get feel no pain. Use the jump shoot jump and his independent character status as well, give him plasma / fusion and multi he will be able to deal with anything with 3 good strength low AP shots, Missile Pods are over rated.

Also, consiter taking a unit of 8 gundrones, and having him join that unit, they can all keep up with him, and it is a cheap way to stick 8 more wounds on him, if you get shot at with a krak missile or lazcannon you can allocate the wound to them instead. Givein him drones as wargear makes him lose the independant character status, while he can jump in and out of the gun drone unit.
    Never ever ever attach a Shas'O to any unit, you might as well paint a target on his forehead, if the unit takes enough hits he HAS to be allocated a wound and he loses his IC status, this is a common mistake assuming he gets eight additional virtual wounds by allocating to the drones well it does not work, the best way to use drones is to take a squadron and do not have the Shas'O join the unit but have the drones form a full circle around him spaced regurlarly at 1" with the Shas'O in the centre, because he has independent character status he cannot be targeted or assualted because he is not the closest unit to anyone (360 degree protection) the only things that can target him are ordnance weapons and special rule targeting models (farseers etc).

You can only have 2 HQ choices, so your army list is illegal. I suggest removing both of the shas'vre and one broadside to free up points for one unit of helios(plasma rifle/F crisis suit unit of 3, bonded( or just three units of one without bonding, if you dont use markerlights this is probably a better choice for you). They do a terrifying ammount of damage against necrons. expecially with markerlight support
    He doesnt have 3 HQ's shas'Vre are not HQ's, the best option for this list would be another HQ possibly a Shas'El fireknife if your not to experienced with Tau or another Helios (same fit as the Shas'O but no Stim inj) I would also advise 3 lone XV8 suits (one per elite slot) with either fireknife or helios (both are good).

The kroot will help you alot against the necron, but will get torn to peices against the dark elves in CC. The leadership helps, keep the shaper.
    Rubbish, Kroot suck gainst Necrons the Necrons get be back rolls and Kroot dont have a save, the Kroot are best used to support your FWarriors by deploying them in cover as close as possible to the FW, use their shooting (it is very underated) and use them to counter attack any unit that gets to the FW, the Kroot hound is a very good option now its cheap, has good intiative (5) good strength (4) and 3 attacks on the charge so if you do intend to use them as an infitrating CC squad load up on the hounds, lose the shaper they are useless 21 points of pure waste, the LDS is not great and if the Kroot are used correctly the LDS will not be needed anyway, I would go for 10 Kroot and 12 Kroot hounds you will get 10 shots and 66 attacks on the charge for countr assaults.

put a decoy launcher on the hammerhead.
    I would advise losing both Broadsides and taking another Hammerhead with Railgun, Burst cannons, Multi and Decoys, keep the HH moving 12" a turn and the decoys plus skimmer rule will make them very hard to stop, also use the railguns range to keep the HH safe it outranges most every weapon in 40K. Also the railgun should be used primarily as anti infantry the submunnition round is a brilliant weapon good STR, good AP and non scatter large template, use the Shas'O and El to kill armour (thats why the XV8 with fusion is a good suit fit) and the XV8 suits.

One other thing I would suggest is a pathfinder squad the markerlight is really an option that should no longe be ignored, maybe an option for you when you expand your list.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; June 1st, 2006 at 01:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Guys thanx for all of the suggestions, ill keep them in mind to make my army, the only thing I am a little iffy about the develish, seems lika a lot of points, but otherwise thx for the help all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the devilfish allows you to stay mobile..

it also allows you to be nasty, i.e finding an isolated unit, then moving your devilfish 12" out from behind cover, out jumps the firewarrriors, and then rapid fire...

24 St 5 shots is going to hurt most basic troops....even good old sm :yes:

Commisar Gaunt

"i pity the poor fool"

COMMISSAR GAUNT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

think of it this way, the devilfish has the power of a stealth suit with 2 gun drones, you are really only paying 30 points for the ability to shuffle your firewarriors around the board.

More than worth it!
    All of which makes me anxious, sometimes unbearably so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest you make a kroot army............. yes that would pwn something nasty hahaha

yes kroot... go kroot!
    Pokerface of Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that would be funny to see....

but then see what happens when you face an armoured company of IG??

st4 ap 6 weapons VS leman russ front armour 14...

C.G

"i pity the poor fool"

COMMISSAR GAUNT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far so good

Well so far I have to say that all who have postd have helped me make some changes to my army list. Here is what I got so far, which I have four variations, but ill just show the first one, and basically explain the other three, because the changes are vary minor. HQ
    137-1 Shas’o w/ Cyclic Ion Blaster, Missile Pod, Multi Tracker, Stimulant Injector, Iridium Armor and Drone Controller
    30-2 Shield Drones

Elites
    67- Sash’ui w/ Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Target Lock and Multi Tracker Support System

59- Sash’ui w/ Missile Pod, Fusion Blaster, Target Lock and Multi Tracker Support System

Troops
    120-11 Sash’la w/ Pulse Rifle’s

120-11 Sash’la w/ Pulse Rifle’s

105-15 Kroot w/ Kroot Rifle
    24-4 Kroot Hounds w/ Ferocious Fangs

Heavy Support
    90-1 Broad Side Shas’ui w/ Twin linked Railgun’s, Smart Missile System Targeting Array, Target Lock, and Multi Tracker Support System

90-1 Broad Side Shas’ui w/ Twin linked Railgun’s, Smart Missile System Targeting Array, Target Lock, and Multi Tracker Support System

165-1 Hammerhead Gunship w/ Railgun (submunition) and Smart Missile System and Disruption Pod

1007 Points

The other three variations basically go like this, I could get rid of both my Broad side and put in a Hamerhead exactly like the on I have right now, meaning I would have two HH's in my heavy selections over 2 broadside and one HH. Another variation was to remove on broadside and add a Develish transport at the base cost of 80 points, that would mean I would have just one broadside, and one HH in my heavy selection, but I would have a Develish in my troops selections. My last variation was to remove both broadsides and add anothre fireknife elite XV8 suit and a develish transport, meaning only one HH in heavy, but a devlish and an elite to go else where, but this one I dont like as much. Anyways that's what I got soo far, and well a total kroot army sounds interesting, and very amusing, I challenge someone to make one and actually see what would happen, basically the rule for this army would be, is where you can put kroot, you only put kroot, elswhere is your choice, basically all your basic troops would be kroot, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast