2000pt Tau List *New to Tau* Comment Away! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    2000pt Tau List *New to Tau* Comment Away!

    HQ
    Shas'o
    w/ Plasma Rifle Missle Pod
    Shield Generator
    Hard Wired Multitracker
    Stimulant injector
    142pts

    Elites
    XV8 Crisis Team
    3x Shas'ui
    Suit A) Plasma Missle pod, Multitracker
    Suit Plasma Missle pod, Multitracker
    Suit C) Shas'Vre Plasma Missle pod, Targetting array, Hard wired Multitracker, Hard wired drone controller w/ 2x shield drones
    241pts

    Stealth Team
    4x Shas'ui and 2 have targetting arrays
    1x Shasvre w/ targetting array and bonding knife
    195pts

    Stealth Team
    4x Shas'ui and 2 have targetting arrays
    1x Shasvre w/ targetting array and bonding knife
    195pts


    Troops
    Firewarrior Team
    12xFirewarrior
    Shas'ui w/ Bonding knife
    DevilFish
    Decoy Launcher
    Multitracker
    Targetting array
    235 pts

    Firewarrior Team
    12xFirewarrior
    Shas'ui w/ Bonding knife
    DevilFish
    Decoy Launcher
    Multitracker
    Targetting array
    235 pts

    Firewarrior Team
    12xFirewarrior
    Shas'ui w/ Bonding knife
    DevilFish
    Decoy Launcher
    Multitracker
    Targetting array
    235 pts

    Kroot squad
    20x Kroot
    shaper upgrade
    161pts

    Heavy Support
    Hammer Head
    Railgun
    Smart Missles
    Targeting array
    multitracker
    decoylauncher
    180pts



    Hammer Head
    Railgun
    Smart Missles
    Targeting array
    multitracker
    decoylauncher
    180pts

    Total Points ===> 1999/2000


    Well there's the list! All comments welcomed. Thanks in advance.

    <a href="http://www.liquidgeneration.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://www.liquidgeneration.com/quiz...nake.jpg" border="0"></a>

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member GenericGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Well, congratulations for starting tau. They're a very good choice. Here's some Ideas that I incorporate into my army tactics. First, i'm guessing that you're doing FoF by all the mounted Firewarriors. I won't comment on that because i dont work that way. First thing i reccomend is to replace either one or both of your Railheads with Broadside teams. Unless you're planning to use the submunition a lot, these bad boys allow you 2 twin linked railguns for some 20 odd points less than a railhead, after tacking on the Advanced Stabilization system.

    With the free points, you might want to put some fusion blasters in the stealth teams. A bit of anti armor in those units are a must for me. I play a lot of necrons, so I always need a lot of AP3 or better. Also, I find that it's best to either put my stealth teams in 3 or 6, depending on how many Fusion Blasters I want.

    But most importantly of all, what do you think you will most commonly be playing against? Mostly marine armor enemies? A lot of 'nids? Or just a balance of everything. Depending on this is how we can give you advice on how to maximize the potential of your army.
    "Slannesh, in his drug filled excacy thinks Khorne is like... the coolaid man who keeps slapping him and calling him a muskrat... weird, huh?" Said by me, the all powerful GenericGuy.

    Army W/D/L
    Tau Empire 0/2/0
    Blood Angels Discontinued

  4. #3
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by tz_201
    HQ
    Shas'o
    w/ Plasma Rifle Missle Pod
    Shield Generator
    Hard Wired Multitracker
    Stimulant injector
    142pts

    Seems fine i would personaly replace the MP with a fusion but thats my personel favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by tz_201
    Elites
    Quote Originally Posted by tz_201
    XV8 Crisis Team
    3x Shas'ui
    Suit A) Plasma Missle pod, Multitracker
    Suit Plasma Missle pod, Multitracker
    Suit C) Shas'Vre Plasma Missle pod, Targetting array, Hard wired Multitracker, Hard wired drone controller w/ 2x shield drones
    241pts

    lose the team, XV8 teams are a bad idea, they run fast and are hard to hide, they draw lots of fire by virtue of the threat insinuated by the team size, a much better idea is to take either another Shas'O or El with either Helios / multi or fireknife mult, the independent character status will mean its much much harder to kill, it hads a far superior BS and more wounds. then take another XV8 in the remaining elites slot, a standar fireknife will do or a twin linked fusion with shield gen to bust armour. Lone suit teams draw far less fire they are easy to hide in cover and the fact that a whole unit has to shoot at one suit wil often see the opponent ignoring them for other targets.

    Quote Originally Posted by tz_201
    Stealth Team
    4x Shas'ui and 2 have targetting arrays
    1x Shasvre w/ targetting array and bonding knife
    195pts

    Stealth Team
    4x Shas'ui and 2 have targetting arrays
    1x Shasvre w/ targetting array and bonding knife
    195pts
    Lose the bonding it really is not needed, use the JSJ and the stealth field to keep them safe, take a fusion just for the chance of killing armour ? toghie characters and your teams are illegal, if one stealth takes an upgrade from the armoury they all have to so all 4 will have to have targeting arrayss or none. if you have the models available I would drop the targetting arrays and take another stealth and make them full sized units, much better.

    Quote Originally Posted by tz_201
    Troops
    Firewarrior Team
    12xFirewarrior
    Shas'ui w/ Bonding knife
    DevilFish
    Decoy Launcher
    Multitracker
    Targetting array
    235 pts

    Firewarrior Team
    12xFirewarrior
    Shas'ui w/ Bonding knife
    DevilFish
    Decoy Launcher
    Multitracker
    Targetting array
    235 pts

    Firewarrior Team
    12xFirewarrior
    Shas'ui w/ Bonding knife
    DevilFish
    Decoy Launcher
    Multitracker
    Targetting array
    235 pts

    Fine though I would lose the targetting arrays and multi trackers (why on a devilfish they have burst cannons, way to many points wasted on pointless upgrades, lose the bonding again if FW need bonding they are dead anyway.you will ahve 70pts to spend on something usefull by losing these unneeded upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by tz_201
    Kroot squad
    20x Kroot
    shaper upgrade
    161pts

    No no no do not take a shaper, they are a waste of points, take some Kroot hounds they will benefit you a lot more in the long run, I would split the team into 2 teams of 10 Kroot and take at least 6 (pref 12) Kroot hounds with each team, infiltrate them into cover and use them as a barrier to prevent movement towards your lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by tz_201
    Heavy Support
    Quote Originally Posted by tz_201
    Hammer Head
    Railgun
    Smart Missles
    Targeting array
    multitracker
    decoylauncher
    180pts



    Hammer Head
    Railgun
    Smart Missles
    Targeting array
    multitracker
    decoylauncher
    180pts

    Total Points ===> 1999/2000


    Well there's the list! All comments welcomed. Thanks in advance.
    Please ignore generics advice, do not lose any of these Hammerheads, they fit your list beautifully and a broadside team would just be a liabity, making you commit resources to keeping them safe, the HH is the best heavy slot choice you can take, if you change everything else do not change these, excellent fit by the way
    Last edited by Rikimaru; June 5th, 2006 at 17:17.
    1984

  5. #4
    Member GenericGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Yeah, I agree with Riki on dropping the bonding knives and shaper. The point of kroot is a cheap assault unit. And for the price of a shaper, you can just get more kroot. Also bonding knives are sonething that you won't need, and on the Devilfish, I agree with him.

    This is the point where I stop agreeing.

    Hammerheads are good, but if you are looking for sheer S10 Ap1 shots, go for broadsides. They're half the price, and twin linked to bood. Just jump in and out of cover, or stand in a back corner. on a four foot by four foot board, you can hit any point that you can see. While this applies to the Hammerhead, they're bigger and an easier target. With the Broadsides, they are more survivable, but you dont want to let anyone get in too close with ap2 or better. They'll make quick work of you.

    I agree that the crisis teams are fire magnets, but i don't think they are necessarily bad. You can just cheap out, go for min points, and 2 sheild drones each and make the enemy concentrate on them while the real threat advances into position. Or, if that sounds like something you don't want to do you want to go Burst Cannon and Plasma Rifle. Since I am inferring you are Fof ing, they can just jump behind and between the Devilfishes, laying down a withering hail of fire before disappearing behind a transport.

    Also, I would reccomend dropping stim injectors on your Commander, but it's really your style that matters.

    Both Rikimaru and I both give good advice, but it's for you to decide how your army goes. While I prefer more railguns, he prefers a slightly less killable option. But it would be nice if you coult tell us what you will most commonly be fighting.
    "Slannesh, in his drug filled excacy thinks Khorne is like... the coolaid man who keeps slapping him and calling him a muskrat... weird, huh?" Said by me, the all powerful GenericGuy.

    Army W/D/L
    Tau Empire 0/2/0
    Blood Angels Discontinued

  6. #5
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericGuy
    Yeah, I agree with Riki on dropping the bonding knives and shaper. The point of kroot is a cheap assault unit. And for the price of a shaper, you can just get more kroot. Also bonding knives are sonething that you won't need, and on the Devilfish, I agree with him.

    This is the point where I stop agreeing.

    Hammerheads are good, but if you are looking for sheer S10 Ap1 shots, go for broadsides. They're half the price, and twin linked to bood. Just jump in and out of cover, or stand in a back corner. on a four foot by four foot board, you can hit any point that you can see. While this applies to the Hammerhead, they're bigger and an easier target. With the Broadsides, they are more survivable, but you dont want to let anyone get in too close with ap2 or better. They'll make quick work of you.

    I agree that the crisis teams are fire magnets, but i don't think they are necessarily bad. You can just cheap out, go for min points, and 2 sheild drones each and make the enemy concentrate on them while the real threat advances into position. Or, if that sounds like something you don't want to do you want to go Burst Cannon and Plasma Rifle. Since I am inferring you are Fof ing, they can just jump behind and between the Devilfishes, laying down a withering hail of fire before disappearing behind a transport.

    Also, I would reccomend dropping stim injectors on your Commander, but it's really your style that matters.

    Both Rikimaru and I both give good advice, but it's for you to decide how your army goes. While I prefer more railguns, he prefers a slightly less killable option. But it would be nice if you coult tell us what you will most commonly be fighting.
    Broadsides cannot hop in and out of coverm they can move out of cover and shoot with stabalisation system but then they are left exposed and out of cover, the shield drone leaves them open to running from failed moral tests, and they get assualted and shot to pieces anyway (broadsides not the drones). A HH is tougher has more options available and is intimidating, with markerlight guidance the BS is upped to 2+ making it good for armour kiling as well (thought that should not be its primary purpose).

    One last thing Burst cannons have no place on XV8 suits. but generics right it s down to personel preference. let us know what you decide to use
    1984

  7. #6
    Member GenericGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    Broadsides cannot hop in and out of coverm they can move out of cover and shoot with stabalisation system but then they are left exposed and out of cover, the shield drone leaves them open to running from failed moral tests, and they get assualted and shot to pieces anyway (broadsides not the drones). A HH is tougher has more options available and is intimidating, with markerlight guidance the BS is upped to 2+ making it good for armour kiling as well (thought that should not be its primary purpose).

    One last thing Burst cannons have no place on XV8 suits. but generics right it s down to personel preference. let us know what you decide to use
    On broadsides, you don't need cover too bad because you can just stay in the back, just like i said a bout the 4 foot by 4 foot board and being able to hit anywhere. This allows relative safety, and if you're in danger, deign not to shoot, and move as fast as possible out of the way, and move in something to protect.

    I heartily dissagree about the burst cannons. They are an inexpensive and powerful gun that gives a lot of shots per model. Even if you have range troubles, you've got the maneuverability to run circles around any target. Just don't get too close to plasma weaponry.
    "Slannesh, in his drug filled excacy thinks Khorne is like... the coolaid man who keeps slapping him and calling him a muskrat... weird, huh?" Said by me, the all powerful GenericGuy.

    Army W/D/L
    Tau Empire 0/2/0
    Blood Angels Discontinued

  8. #7
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericGuy
    On broadsides, you don't need cover too bad because you can just stay in the back, just like i said a bout the 4 foot by 4 foot board and being able to hit anywhere. This allows relative safety, and if you're in danger, deign not to shoot, and move as fast as possible out of the way, and move in something to protect.

    I heartily dissagree about the burst cannons. They are an inexpensive and powerful gun that gives a lot of shots per model. Even if you have range troubles, you've got the maneuverability to run circles around any target. Just don't get too close to plasma weaponry.
    On a 4x4 board your Braodsides (basic BS with no drones) will die fast, most weapons that can hurt it have min range of 36" Lascannons have a range of 48" if the BS has no shield drone or Shield gen (which ups its points considerably) one hit from said lascannon and its dead. The HH can be given decoys and multi which means:
    1 Any hit is downgraded to a glancing if it moves 12" (the multi allows this and still allows it to shoot)
    2 Any immobalised hit can be rerolled (decoys)
    and also landing gear is much underated, allowing the HH to sit and be treated as a normal vehicle if needs be (blocking LOS for other units etc)

    A broadside NEEDS cover, to block LOS offer cover saves and slow down assualting units, and your solution of moving away has one problem unless you have stabalisation you cant shoot which negates thta twin linked railgun, to survive a BS has to have an INV save (20pts min) be in cover, to be effective it needs Stabalisation so a minimum pts value for a BS is 95 pts, also the shield gen and stabalisation cant be taken together so to take Stab your having to take a shield drone which leaves you open to moral tests when the drone is lost
    1984

  9. #8
    Member GenericGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    On a 4x4 board your Braodsides (basic BS with no drones) will die fast, most weapons that can hurt it have min range of 36" Lascannons have a range of 48" if the BS has no shield drone or Shield gen (which ups its points considerably) one hit from said lascannon and its dead. The HH can be given decoys and multi which means:
    1 Any hit is downgraded to a glancing if it moves 12" (the multi allows this and still allows it to shoot)
    2 Any immobalised hit can be rerolled (decoys)
    and also landing gear is much underated, allowing the HH to sit and be treated as a normal vehicle if needs be (blocking LOS for other units etc)

    A broadside NEEDS cover, to block LOS offer cover saves and slow down assualting units, and your solution of moving away has one problem unless you have stabalisation you cant shoot which negates thta twin linked railgun, to survive a BS has to have an INV save (20pts min) be in cover, to be effective it needs Stabalisation so a minimum pts value for a BS is 95 pts, also the shield gen and stabalisation cant be taken together so to take Stab your having to take a shield drone which leaves you open to moral tests when the drone is lost
    Yes, I comprehend your meaning in this situation about how the HH is a better choice. But it's not a better choice, its a safer choice. For reducing quality of shots and number of shots, you get something that'll probably last through the game, and fire every turn. That's great, if you're not facing something so fearsome that you need to stomp it immediately. 3 twin linked railguns will eliminate a landraider or a Monolith in one or two turns, while it might take a Hammerhead the whole game just to do it, and might even get destroyed in the process.

    For the broadsides, I like to take nine, in my super polar army, where it's divided down the middle with anti-infantry and anti-tank. I field 2 units of 6 Stealth teams with Fusion Blasters. Not only does the enemy have to take a ld test before shooting at my precious Broadsides, they usually target the Stealths too. And these stealths are mean. They usually take out 4 models each, or a tank, if I get first turn. That means that with a tank, they will statistically almost paid back their points, but the real value comes with them being a threat. If my opponent ignores the stealths to go at my Broadsides, they'll cause destruction and havoc. If they go for the stealths, my broadsides destroy their tanks and/or any heavy, expensive models.

    Also, If i block Line of Sight so only my target sees me, they can't hurt me. And since my first item on my agenda is to blow up threats, they'll be gone pretty quick.

    Oh, and tz_201, it you could tell us more about the way you want to go with your tau, Rikimaru and I can stop arguing about our different views on playing, and get back to helping you.
    "Slannesh, in his drug filled excacy thinks Khorne is like... the coolaid man who keeps slapping him and calling him a muskrat... weird, huh?" Said by me, the all powerful GenericGuy.

    Army W/D/L
    Tau Empire 0/2/0
    Blood Angels Discontinued

  10. #9
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericGuy
    Oh, and tz_201, it you could tell us more about the way you want to go with your tau, Rikimaru and I can stop arguing about our different views on playing, and get back to helping you.
    No ones arguing dude, discusing options thats what we are doing, strengths weaknesses etc, not many take 9 Broadsides (overkill comes to mind) but it works for you, I take 3 Hammerheads and that works for me, tz_201 will make up his mind and learn about two different approaches, i wish people would stop calling discussion arguing, I respect your point of view Generic and I am not trying to argue or belittle your tactics etc in anyway, jsut showing why I think Braodsides are not much cop.
    1984

  11. #10
    Member GenericGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    No ones arguing dude, discusing options thats what we are doing, strengths weaknesses etc, not many take 9 Broadsides (overkill comes to mind) but it works for you, I take 3 Hammerheads and that works for me, tz_201 will make up his mind and learn about two different approaches, i wish people would stop calling discussion arguing, I respect your point of view Generic and I am not trying to argue or belittle your tactics etc in anyway, jsut showing why I think Braodsides are not much cop.
    Sorry about calling it arging. I just see that we are trying to make our points clear, and I call that arguing. The word doesn't mean much beyond trying to prove something, to me at least. I apologize. Your idea is as well a perfectly viable strategy, just as I mentioned in my previous post. I just said that last part because the thread-maker seems to have dissappeared and i'm prompting him to respond.
    "Slannesh, in his drug filled excacy thinks Khorne is like... the coolaid man who keeps slapping him and calling him a muskrat... weird, huh?" Said by me, the all powerful GenericGuy.

    Army W/D/L
    Tau Empire 0/2/0
    Blood Angels Discontinued

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts