2000 point Iyanden with twist - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 point Iyanden with twist

Hey, Having been playing Ulthwe for way too long and having got entirely bored of them, I am putting together an Iyanden army with a twist.

Taking the 'dead warrior' theme further, I intend to convert any living model within the army to look similar to a wraithguard under the pretext that the craftworld is practically dead but still continues fighting - i.e. reanimated aspects etc. Also going back a few years, citadel journal released rules for the Phantom Seer (a warlock reanimated) which I think will make a good centerpiece to the army.

I've been told by a GW staff member that the new codex will contain two wraithlord variants so I'll either use one of those or the Phantom Seer rules as they are when the new codex comes out. For those that don't know those rules; Its a wraithlord with a 4+ invulnerable save (insert evil laughter here) whose gun is a slightly worse brightlance or a slightly worse starcannon, with a range of either 24" or 12" respectively for 140 points.

Now I've been trying to put together a list which is at least semi competitive - i don't fancy being walked over continuously! I'm wondering what to do with the last 400 odd points, opinions welcome!

1 Farseer + Fortune
    5 Wraithguard + warlock + conceal
    5 Wraithguard + warlock + enchance + Waveserpent + starcannons
    1 Wraithlord + Bright Lance
    1 Phantom Seer
    10 Scorpions + Grenades + Exarch + Stealth
    10 Banshees + Exarch + Powerblades + Waveserpent + Bright Lance
    3 Warwalkers + starcannons

This racks up to approximately 1600 points (sorry don't have the exact number to hand). I'm very aware of the low model count and have considered adding Dire Avengers or even guardians but don't really want to as avengers are rather poor and guardians don't really go with the concept of the army.
    Also adding Vypers may up the firepower count which I consider to be fairly low...even with 3 war walkers!

Also I have a rules question having not played much 4th ed; If I upgrade the wave serpents cats to a cannon, and move it 12" can it fire the cannon and starcannon? Or only one?

What do you guys reckon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

1.) Yes it may fire both as they are both under strength 6, making them defensive weapons.

2.) Which journal is phantom seer in?

3.) Good luck with thos aspects, pix please.

4.) Vypers and Warwalkers are piloted by Guardians, so they don't really fit the theme well either...

Good luck with the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers.

The Phantom Seer rules were in this journal (36) along with the rules for a Scout Walker (warwalker with 1 gun and a holofield).

I've already thought of conversions for the Vyper....I probably won't use the carapace as it stands but will model a new one....I quite like the idea of a vyper with a totally smooth outter shell.......have to wait and see tho, this armies still in the early stages (still painting the first squad of wraithguard).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

I'd say both for fluff and competitivness go more with the theme you have.

-ditch the warwalkers
    -add another wraithlord (it seems silly for a Illyanden themed list to have less of them than a lot of vanilla lists)

Now here you could go a couple ways. You could either just go fully to type and add another wraithguard unit and another wraithlord.

But since my favorite thing about eldar is mobility I would take advantage of the fact those wraithlords are troop choices and add 3 upgraded falcons. These fit your army fluff wise as you could model them without pilots and instead get elaborate with the piloting spirit stones you should have them equiped with anyway. They'd fit your army tactics wise becasue they put a lot more hard to kill units on the board overloading your opponents anti armor capabilities (and giving you the ability to take down a lot of those units fast).

Also I find that stealthed scorpeons just don't do so well unless lots of support shows up fast. You've got the banshees and wraithguard but at 2000 pts I've got a feeling it won't be enough. However mounted in a falcon with spirit stones and a holofield they've got an excellent chance of getting to the enemy lines. You should have enough points after getting the three falcons and ditching the walkers to split your scorpeons into 2 squads of 6 with exarcs for falcon transport.

Also you might want to think about leaving 1 banshee behind so a farseer can get in the waveserpent too. He can fortune the banshee's keeping them alive in cc and if the waveserpent gets shot down.

+ Reply to Thread