[3000] Nids vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[3000] Nids vs Tau

Hi

I'm going to be facing 2 1500pts Tau armies in a 3000pt game, and this is my attempt at such a large force.
    Player 1 fields a souped-up command squad (the commander alone has 6 wounds and a 4+ invulnerable save, and Feel No Pain), a hammerhead with rail-gun, a devil-fish with a large pathfinder squad in it (with about 3 rail-rifles, and 6+ markerlights), a Pirahna, a stealth team, a large Kroot squad, 2 firewarrior squads and a large group of gun-drones. His army is fairly fast moving, and has a lot of marker-lights. All the tanks have fletchette launchers and something that counts them as obscured.
    Player 2 has a similar set-up, but no pathfinders, two hammerheads (one with Ion cannon), 3 broadside battlesuits, a relatively normal commander. Has more stationary elements and less focus on mobility.

Now, my list. I'm using two FoCs (only way I could get the points up).

HQ - Hive Tyrant - 2x Devourers, Enh Sen, Wings, Toxin Sacs, Warp Field - 196pts
    My main infantry shredder, will hide in cover and slowly make it's way up the board

HQ - Hive Tyrant - 1x VC, 1x BS, toxin sacs. 2 x Tyrant Guard with Scy Tals and RCs - 247pts
    A secondary tank buster, able to absorb a fair few shots.

Elites - Lictor x 2 - 160pts
    Will hopefully keep the Tau players out of cover
    Elites - Warriors x 6 - 1x Scy Tals, 1x RCs, Extended Carapace, Leaping - 210pts
    Elites - Carnifex - 2x Devourers, Ehn Sen - 113pts

Troops - Spinegaunts x 12 - 60pts
    My meatshields. Purely and simply

Troops - Hormagaunts x 12 - 120pts
    Troops - Hormagaunts x 11 - 110pts
    Hopefully will be able to dash up the board and tie up units

Troops - Devgaunts x 8 - Devourers and toxin sacs - 80pts
    Fairly experimental, I'm hoping to bag me some firewarriors

Troops - Genestealors x9 - Extended Carapace - 180pts
    Troops - Genestealors x9 - Extended Carapace - 180pts
    Will hopefully take out some of the broadsides

Fast Attack - Warriors x 6 - 2x Scy Tals, Wings - 216pts
    Fast and mobile synapse, hopefully will see CC

Fast Attack - Ravenors x 3 - 1x Scy Tals and 1x RCs - 120pts
    Fast and mobile, and can shoot. I'm hoping they will be overlooked in the general swarm

Fast Attack - Rippers x 9 - leaping - 126pts
    Tar-pit unit

Heavy Support - Shootyfex - VC+BS, Ehn Sen and reinforced chitin = 163pts
    Heavy Support - Shootyfex - VC+BS, Ehn Sen and reinforced chitin = 163pts
    My main anti-tank. I haven't bothered to give them Ext Cara as most shots at them will be AP2

Heavy Support - Zoanthropes x 3 - Synapse and Warp Blast - 195pts
    Secondary Anti-tank and extra synapse.

Total 2999pts

Hopefully this will do fairly well, but any suggestions are welcome. I'm a little rusty with Nids (Chaos stealing my soul and all) so any and all advice is welcome.

Last edited by Havarel; June 24th, 2006 at 15:45.
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Alright the first thing you should do is make your CC fex have 2 TL dev as these will slaughter massive amounts of FW, kroot, and is fairly good against crisis suits. The 2 ST is over kill majorly against tau as you really don't need it at all as your 3 normal attacks will waste them plus the 12 shots and 4 attacks on the charge will more then likely destroy any tau unit. Your second HT probally should have VC and BS instead of 2 TL dev as it may be too slow to catch the faster tau plus with TS and ES they can do fairly well against tanks and crisis suits (also I have no idea how you got 152pts for a HT and two gaurd...it should be more like 201pts...). The broodlord and his ret is probally to big for infaltration so probally drop them down to 6 instead.

Get rid of the CC fex as it is completely worthless against tau and if they have any common sense they will ignore it as it can do almost nothing against HH and will die easily to railgun and that is it. So go for a dakka fex as this will actually attract fire as it is a LOT more deadly for only 12 points more your get 8 str 6 shots that reroll to hit and wound (also add in ES otherwise it will be hard for it to hit anything). The lictor is ok as it can scare the tau since they are so weak in CC though if they spread out their FW enough in the terrain you may have no spot to deepstrike in.

Bleh spine gaunts the weakest of the gaunts and most worthless IMO. I would go for termagaunts (fleshborer) instead as the +1 str will eat away FW thus making them a bit higher on target priority and making the enemy actually shoot them. The hormaguants are perfect the way they are so no changes needed. Hmm dev gaunts they could be very bothersome to the tau though not too sure you'll have to tell me how well they do.

The flying warriors will die in droves to mass pulse fire thus I find it a very bad idea that a 216pt squad will be horrified of a 120pt FW squad... So drop the wings and give them EC and leaping so they stand a chance against the HUGE amount of Ap5 weaponry they have and also get rending so you can have a better chance of hurting the broadsides as their 2+ saves can be very annoying. The only problem with this though is HH sub rounds still eat at these guys though that is why your top prority is to shot them down or at least stun them for the entire game with VC's.

For the raveners I would drop the dev as they make them super expensive then and also slap on rending as well so those attacks automaticaly kill them instead of allowing them to save (4+ and 3+ saves are still pretty good so you need those rending hits). Also don't deepstrike these guys ever as it is foolish because the soonest they can assualt then is turn 3 while on foot they can easily get it on turn 2 (though you didn't say you were going to deepstrike them this is just advice for these guys).

The rippers should have leaping instead as it is a lot cheaper and works about the same or you can do as I think poptartsninja does and make super rippers with leaping, ES, TS, and spinefist all at 20pts and is still cheaper then the ones you have now and will slaughter almost any tau unit they come in contact with.

Your gunfexes MUST ALWAYS HAVE ES or they can't hit the broadside of a barn (no pun intended). Hiting on 5+ and 4+ is a huge difference so always slap those ES on if you want them to do their job. Also reinforced chitin would be good on these guys as you could use the extra wounds.

The zoans are perfect as they are so no changes needed on them at all.

Now for some battle advice go for those pathfinders immeditaly as they help the ENTIRE tau army greatly thus if you kill them off you have weakended their entire army. Also be happy that they put rail rifles on these guys as it is pointless for them and they lose the very important markerlights. The HH with flechets must be shot down and DO NOT assault them as it will kill you more then likely them. The commander should be no big problem as if you send a devil tyrant at it the thing will die fairly easily to him from the mass of fire and your still formidble CC power. Plus you can still shoot the bugger with zoanthropes since he isn't IC anymore (or at least I assume since he has 6 wounds thus would need drones or bodygaurds). The broadsides probally won't be too big of a threat though send in your raveners (if they have rending claws that is) and slaughter them effortlessly or at least keep them from shooting. The kroot don't stand a chance against most nid stuff so they aren't too scary though watch out for them in cover and if they are just use some barbed stranglers and tons of em will die (or dev which ever is close) and don't charge in terrain either as that is their terrirtory and would be a bad idea since they have 10 I then.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you want FW killers??? give your spinegaunts WIthout Number. adds some points to them, but when your opponent kills a whole sqaud of them, you get to bring them alllllll back!:w00t:

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Ardvark
    you want FW killers??? give your spinegaunts WIthout Number. adds some points to them, but when your opponent kills a whole sqaud of them, you get to bring them alllllll back!:w00t:
    Meh spinegaunts are more cannon fodder to FW then FW killers and even with WoN they won't do much (if they make it to their lines that is). If you wanted FW go for hormagaunts as they can avoid the deadly rapid fire range of them with ease and will also get the turn 2 assault unlike the spinegaunts.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lictor1989
    The broodlord and his ret is probally to big for infaltration so probally drop them down to 6 instead.
    in this large a game I doubt you will be able to infiltrate. I would swap the broodlord out for another Hive tyrant.

Bleh spine gaunts the weakest of the gaunts and most worthless IMO. I would go for termagaunts (fleshborer) instead as the +1 str will eat away FW thus making them a bit higher on target priority and making the enemy actually shoot them. The hormaguants are perfect the way they are so no changes needed. Hmm dev gaunts they could be very bothersome to the tau though not too sure you'll have to tell me how well they do.
    Hormagaunts are the best against tau... simply put the excel at a taus weakness and the more you have the more likely they will make it into HtH once there its gg tau. Spine gaunts can be a meatshield and i mean against the firepower the tau bring somethings gotta die so it may as well be the spinegaunts rather than termagaunts or hormagaunts. plus tau are T3 so spinefists are only slighty worse than fleshborers for a significant saving of 1/6. Don't go WoN i've never had it make its points back

Your gunfexes MUST ALWAYS HAVE ES or they can't hit the broadside of a barn (no pun intended).
    Absolute must

Other suggestions
    -Take 3 lictors they are deadly against Tau
    -Concentrate on a fast list as such change your Flying tyrant to a TL Devourer tyrant with warp field this makes him do mroe damage and makes him more survivable. Your aiming to get alot of his fronts lines in combat by turn 2.

carni
    If you like the post click the *STAR* <===

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lictor1989

Your gunfexes MUST ALWAYS HAVE ES or they can't hit the broadside of a barn (no pun intended).
    Absolute must
    Can't believe I forgot to add that on...I normallly always equip my Fexes with it..

Another point I forgot to mention was that my opponents equip literally everything with plasma grenades, so I can't rely on the bonus for charging.

Anyway, changes to the list:
    - Changed Walking Tyrants layout to VC+BS and updated points value (turned out I'd only included one guard)
    - Changed armament of Flying Tyrant to 2 TL Devourers
    - Dropped Broodlord
    - Added 1 Lictor (I only have 2 lictor models)
    - Changed layout of elite carnifex to Enh Sen and 2 TL-Devs
    - Changed layout of one set of winged warriors to leaping warriors with 1x ST,1x RC and ext carapace.
    - Added 12 Hormagaunts
    - Added 1 Genestealor to each of the squads
    - Dropped the Devourers and added RCs on the Ravenors
    - Removed Wings and added leaping to ripper swarms
    - Added Enh Sen and reinforced chitin to both my shooty-fexes

I've kept one of the winged warriors purely for fast synapse so that I can keep my gaunts in line, much of my synapse is far too slow to keep up with them. I also dislike using Leaping in a fast moving army, a 12" assault range is only a poor substitute for a 12" move, but I do need some warriors to survive, hence the leaping warriors with extended carapace. I've updated my army list with the above changes.
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Fast Attack - Rippers x 9 - leaping - 126pts
    Tar-pit unit

Just as a side note when rippers get leaping they don't become fast attack just so you know (though thats probally becasue they had wings before and you forgot to put them back into troop). But ya the reviside list is a lot more fine tuned now and good luck when the battle comes up :yes: .

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

+ Reply to Thread