starting kroot army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -33 (x0)

starting kroot army

hey im starting a kroot army... any suggestions

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

read the codex. lol j/k. anyway i would start with you basic 2 troops and 1 hq. then move to what you think will support your style of play. if you want to shoot get krootox. if you want to get in cc quickly get vulture kindred
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

umm, reading the codex is the best sugestion you can give some one...especially for kroot.

First you got to ask yourself how you want to play your kroot. theres 'in your face first turn assaulty' mixed 'shoot first assault second' or 'pure shooty with backup assault'. The reason for this, and why all 3 ways can work, is that your basic kroot is just as good at either job. a totall shooty list can be played stand back and shoot for a while, then run in, chop things up. And the assaulty army, if facing some one totally superior in cc, can decide to shoot instead.

best point investments: lots of carnvores, but if you got the points and space, making them hound squads is nice, hound squads are great for assault, as hounds provide incredible punch. Vultures are indespensible, and a great unit for your master shaper, cause of their speed, allowing them to make great shooting and cc support where ever its needed. Hunters are the sheapest snipers in the game, never leav home with out some, unless you need the points for any of the above stuff, or the best investment of all: eviscerators. These buggers only cost 3-2 points more than a p weapon+pistol+melta bomb, and will give you more power in cc vs any type of enemy.

Now for my prefered taics, give everything blood of the stalker. this lets you get up and close, so the hound and vultures can get a first turn assault, 2nd turn for the carnivores. don't bother with it on hunters, as they can stick back, as they dont want to risk having the enemy slip through and assault them! this tactic works well for shooting if needed and good positions can eb gained and rapid fire achived first turn, a very scary thing with kroot.

For adaptations: ork hybrid, fast reflex and none at all will more than likely get you the most bang for your buck, tho feel free to use any if you want, no ones stopping you. Fast reflex is nice, but unpredictable in tourneys, as the enemy could have all troops faster than i4, or slower than i3 anyways, negating the usefulness of it. Ork is the best allaround in an uncontroled enivronment, but it gets pricey, and I find the extra bodies of no adaptaions are better in most cases. 170 bodies at 2000pts is nothing to laugh at, as most orks and nids dont get up there, because of their spending on big uints kroot just dont have.

Now, for units you don't want to take: krootox, bad gun as its rapid fire, and no infiltration. I can't say much more about them, other than their annoying t3(6) which gets them killed to fast. trackers: snper rifle means not good in cc, can't move and shoot, really a contradictory unit, as they can smash into the rear line with that crazy speed, but wont do anything there, also fragile with no wounds or toughness increase for being mounted...wtf. Punji pits, I really don't know much about them, but the stats for the explosion makes it not worth it, and I am not sure, but I think where it can be deployed is no benificial. leaveit for the jungle fights, where kroot are masters. Headhunters: poison attack looks nice, but only one, and the increased cost makes hounds with cheaper fof kroot much more cost effective. stalkers are nice, but expensive, and their ability isn't all that great the way kroot deploy anyways.

Now shaper councils are a niche unit in my mind. they are good but expensive, and I'd rather get other things first. I will invest money into a few different configurations when I have the time, and when all my other kroot ae done, but not untill then. Best set ups are winged with meltaguns for tankhunting, maybe with a pwep for cc power too, or on foot, fof, with hounds, and eviscerators/pwep/pistols. That unit can hurt alot in cc. If you want one, keep the points low by only getting 3-4, take 5 only when the points are there. Remeber, bodies are the kroots best assest, thats why I don't prefer Ork hybrid.

Thats really all the advice I got for you basic standard...

by the way firewarrior76, krootox aren't really the way to go if you want shooting, I'd stick with more carnivores and a shaper council kitted with special weapons.

Ps, next time, look through the forum... I think I said most of this stuff to firewarrior here just a few weeks ago... But w/e, I don't mind.

If any of the mods see this: any way this can be made into some sort of newbie guid sticky post or something? Just a thought, maybe a compilation from the kroot merc regulars.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didnt no about krootox. I just seen the strength of the weapon and thought it wouldn't be to bad. sorry for misleading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

It looks good on paper, but the lack of infiltrating, the cost and the low t on the model, added with if you move you can only fire at 12" makes it a shoddy gun compared to 6 extra kroot for the same cost. Or, for 3 points more a winged meltagun shaper in a council.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it depends on your game plan. if you want to sit and shoot they aren't to bad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread