2k Necron Army vs. IG - Suggestions Please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

2k Necron Army vs. IG - Suggestions Please

Well hopefully this'll get some suggestions sooner rather than later, as I'm taking on a 2k IG list tonight.

Contextual evidence hints at a very infantry-heavy army, but I'm leery of nasty ordnance-heavy IG battle tanks and such.

HQ - 570
    210 point lord - can't quite figure how to kit him "perfectly," suggestions welcome
    Nightbringer ... I'm inclined to think either for the fire-sucking nature of this unit, or for what he can do to s3 IG if they let him get close, he's worth it

Elite - 210
    10 x FO's w/ D-fields (deep struck or infiltrated)
    *I've not found Immortals to be worth it, despite their popularity, b/c of the high volume of no-save-allowed fire that's like to come in and screw w/ me ... they do get their WBB pretty easily, but the points are a tad prohibitive ... I have the ability to field 10, so feel free to suggest otherwise
    *I love pariahs when they get close enough to combine w/ Nightmare Shrouds and FO's and Gazes of flame, but they are also cost prohibitive and I can't see my opponent letting them get close unless he's clueless

Troops - 540
    30 x Necron Warriors in 3 squads of 10 each

Fast Attack - 433
    3 x Destroyers
    10 x Scarab Swarms w/ D-Fields
    3 x Wraiths

Heavy Support - 235
    Monolith

Total Points - 1988
    HQ - 2, Troops - 3, Elites - 1, Fast Attack - 3, Heavy Support - 1
    Total # of Necron Units - 47
    Phase-Out - 14

The "plan of action" would be to deploy the Destroyers/Scarabs/Wraiths on the same flank as infiltrated Flayed Ones, and race them all up, destroyers trying to thin out the guard #'s on that flank while wraiths and scarabs turbo up and attempt to get into combat or at least draw some fire ASAP. I understand wraiths to be absolutely sick vs. IG in melee, inflicting instant kill thanks to S6, attacking first, yatta yatta. FO's seem good agains them also. Scarabs for the obvious reason of forcing priority checks and either soaking up 30 wounds or tying up a crapload of their stuff - whichever my opponent prefers.

The warriors and 'lith would advance on a direct front with the nightbringer and lord (leaving my fast flank units res-orb-less, but whatchagonnado) and either use res-orb + nightbringer wounds/toughness/invuln. save + wbb to soak up a lot of fire and leave him screwed by my CC-oriented fast-flankers, or get up and blow the crap out of him if he chooses to go after the fast attack instead.

If I luck out and manage to keep both the NB and my fast attack group alive at the same time, the big plan would be etheric tempest pre-assault and turbo/jetting units behind/around the IG, so that they are "trapped" en masse before the survivors get assaulted by the NB.

Thoughts on game-plan/force?
    Let me make you aware that I am not comfortable w/ deepstriking or vod yet ... *so far* I've found it more effective to present my opponent with multiple dangerous targets and sort of let him make the move ... and then take advantage of weak points. I'm willing to try DS/VoD, and realize they're both useful options for the Necron player, but more traditional approaches suit me for w/e reason.

THANKS in advance for reading the TLDR and offering suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Well, I utilized this army tonight and tore him to pieces. I was pretty intimidated going into it as he's apparently a 15-year veteran of 40k/IG.

He put a LOT of scenery on the board (with my quiet lack of objection) and we had a secure mission. He infiltrated a metric ton of guardsmen forward into various cover and deployed ordnance weapons evenly across the deployment zone, while overloading one of his flanks w/ 3 sentinels, 2 veteran IG squads and some kind of laser/bolter transport.

I deployed with my destroyers/scarabs/1 squad of warriors on the left, with the warriors close to my center and lord w/ res orb. Center was the lord/squad of warriors/monolith/nightbringer. Right was third squad of warriors pretty much unsupported, but I'd shift the 'lith that direction during the fight, and I infiltrated the flayed ones way forward on the right.

*Basically* without making this a battle report my scarabs tied up his entire walker/vet-squad/vehicle-obsessed flank, soaking up 2 rounds of fire before charging into his sentinels and spending hte rest of the battle killing them. My nightbringer and wraiths (forgot they were deployed back a little and turbo charged early to get mixed in) demolished his center, where he somewhat foolishly deployed 2 infil squads + hq squad + snipers in a building too big to see my nightbringer from behind, then got through the building and assaulted and killed his heavy weapons squads (wraiths) and his 2 battle-cannon 14-front armor (name?) tanks (c'tan made short work of each, taking 1 turn to down each one). My right/his left was his only semi-saving grace, where a basilisk stayed out of commission due to near-every-turn stuns, but where my flayed ones did little more than draw 2-3 turns of fire. They did get lucky and kill some big nasty flamer-thrower tank with 30 d-field-supported attacks in close combat though.

well I guess it was a bat-report ... sorry if it's misplaced
    troop suggestions still welcome!

+ Reply to Thread