[1000][Tau] - Need Help vs. Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1000][Tau] - Need Help vs. Chaos

HQ
    Shas'el, PR, MP, MT, TA 87pts

Shas'el PR, FB, MT, TA 87pts

Elites
    Stealth team x3 TA 120

Stealth team x3 TA 120

Troops
    12 FW, shas'ui, bonded, (markerlight, dunno) DF, SMS, DP 245pts

12 FW shas'ui, bonded, 145pts

Fast Attack
    4 gun drones 48 pts

Heavy Support
    Hammerhead, railgun, DP, DL 150pts

997 points i think, I think he'll be a bit over, but that's ok.

He will probably field a defiler, rhino, and lots of infantry with the mark of khorne. I know that we will play with a building in the middle, and forests kinda scattered around. So I'm going to infiltrate into the building with stealths and get my FWs in the devilfish up there as soon as possible, (two story). I'm also going to deep strike my FB, PR suit and kill the defiler if my hammerhead can't.

I mainly want to know if anyone would change anything on the list, and advice on killing Chaos infantry.

I also am going to let him field Kharne (if he wants) because a) he likes fielding him, and b) he costs a lot of points.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Taking on Khorne huh? I rarely win against Chaos (especially Alpha Legion) so I cant really give out any real advices.. but if your friend is playing Khorne.. dont let him cheat you with his HQ, Statured Lord + Glaive + Demonic Speed/Steed/Flight. I let my friend tried using Glaive + his statured speed lord.. that thing single-handly destroyed 2 hammerheads :wacko:
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Portta Potty Man
    HQ
    Shas'el, PR, MP, MT, TA 87pts

Shas'el PR, FB, MT, TA 87pts
    I count them as costing 97 pts each.. Good choice

Elites
    Stealth team x3 TA 120

Stealth team x3 TA 120
    You're fighting chaos smurfs, why not try to fit in more XV8 Fireknives or helios?

Troops
    12 FW, shas'ui, bonded, (markerlight, dunno) DF, SMS, DP 245pts

12 FW shas'ui, bonded, 145pts

I would lose the DP on the DF and give it a DL, TA (you have more shots due to the SMS) and MT.
    I would also lose the second FW squad and substitute it for two 10 kroot squads (you mentioned there are going to be wood on the board...)

Fast Attack
    4 gun drones 48 pts

Lose them to use the points elsewhere

Heavy Support
    Hammerhead, railgun, DP, DL 150pts

Equip it with DL, MT and TL

997 points i think, I think he'll be a bit over, but that's ok.

He will probably field a defiler, rhino, and lots of infantry with the mark of khorne. I know that we will play with a building in the middle, and forests kinda scattered around. So I'm going to infiltrate into the building with stealths and get my FWs in the devilfish up there as soon as possible, (two story). I'm also going to deep strike my FB, PR suit and kill the defiler if my hammerhead can't.

I mainly want to know if anyone would change anything on the list, and advice on killing Chaos infantry.

I also am going to let him field Kharne (if he wants) because a) he likes fielding him, and b) he costs a lot of points.
    FWs are great for killing light infantry and your list is great at that. It could work if you were fighting guard, nids or orks... But remember all those 3+ saves he's gonna field...

The list I would field on the top of me head would be:

Your Shas'els
    An monat Fireknife with TA
    12 FW, Shas'ui, DF with SMS, DL, MT, TA
    2 10 kroot squads
    railhead with DL, MT, TL
    Ionhead with DL, MT, TL

Good luck!
    Those who live by the sword... Will be gunned down by those who don't!

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

There is only one advise to kill 3+ saves or well actually two
    #1 Use weapons that ignores the save (unfortunately we don't really have that kind of weapons)
    #2 Make them make as many saves as possible (they have to fail some)

But as I don't know much about chaos I can give you any real advises on strategies but just keep away from him and out-shoot him you should be able to do so

Perhaps you should try using Vespids or piranhas with fusion blasters (they both ignores the 3+ save) I know that it is rather expensive way of getting those weapons that ignores the save but my (very little) experience with chaos has shown me that Vespids can take out a squad of CSMs by them self simply by first shooting and then charge the rest of them

Hope that this will help
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all very helpful. I will have to proxy that extra suit though. (started playing 40k 3 or so months ago) I'm surprised I didn't think about fielding kroot myself though. I guess I really don't use them much. But thanks for the help and I'll have to let everyone know how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Alrighty, a 1000 point game versus chaos in medium varied terrain.

First I'd like to comment on your army choices. You seem to really like targeting arrays, but they are going to cost you in the ballpark of 100 points. 10% of your force being additional bs is a bit steep. Stealth teams, while all nice and good, are not a match for marines. Trust me, I fought CSM just last week. I would personally split your fire warrior squads up into three squads of eight, each with a Shas'ui for extra Ld, bonding knife, and a markerlight for synergy. The gun drones seem like filler points (its what I used to use them as). Realize that a squad of 4 gun drones isn't going to accomplish much at all, especially versus CSM. Pinning rarely happens, man. The hammerhead is a good choice, be sure to take SMS, and drop the DP.

If I were to fight this battle, here is what I would field, and why.

Shas’el
    +Fusion Blaster
    +Plasma Rifle
    +Multi-Tracker

Shas’el
    +Fusion Blaster
    +Plasma Rifle
    +Multi-Tracker

2 Crisis
    +Twin Linked Plasma Rifle
    +Targeting Array

2 Crisis
    +Targeting Array

2 Crisis
    +Targeting Array

10 Fire Warriors
    +Shas’ui
    +Markerlight
    +Bonding knife
    +EMP Grenade

10 Fire Warriors
    +Shas’ui
    +Markerlight
    +Bonding knife
    +EMP Grenade

Hammerhead
    +Railgun
    +SMS
    +Multi-Tracker
    +Target Lock
    +Decoy Launchers

Alrighty, your biggest asset is your ability to take great AP weaponry. Your Shas'els and Shas'ui should get within 12" range and team up on a single squad. BS4 Twin Linked plasma rifles at rapid fire give you a 75% chance to kill per shot. Always jump away after you've shot said squad to pieces. The Shas'els' Fusion Blasters should help with anti-tank (against AV 12 it doesn't do too shabby, and helps with extra armour defeating). I assumed that you only had one vehicle, so I chose a Hammerhead. The Target Lock ought to be helpful, it should be able to chip away at marines with its SMS while pounding that defiler with its railgun. The Shas'ui in the Fire teams are extremely helpful. +1 ld can help greatly, the markerlight will help other squads hit, and the Shas'ui can take EMP grenades independantly of its unit, making for a great 6 filler points that can deal with a vehicle should it get within assault range.

Best of luck.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won, with little losses. Here's what I think I fielded.

HQ
    Shas'el, PR, MP, MT, TA

Shas'el PR, FB, MT, TA

Elites
    Crisis x3 T/L PR TA

Troops
    12 FW x2 markerlight drones

12 FW x2 markerlight drones

Heavy Support
    Broadside x1 shield gen (dunno what else, if anything, I had on)

Broadside x2 shield gen (dunno again)

It could have been a very close game, if he hadn't placed his TWO defilers in LOS of the broadsides. On the first turn, both had scored armament destroyed and were for the most part, rendered useless. After that, his infantry just marched forward until eventually they all died by Plasma shots.

That was round one of our local "tournament."As for the rest of the little tournament thingy, I lost the next round to Witch Hunters (nickle bottom) in an embarassing defeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Moved to Tau Army lists.

Please read and follow the LO forum rules.

Thanks

Toastee
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

+ Reply to Thread