1700 RTT List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1700 RTT List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

1700 RTT List

I just fielded this list at Fallcon '06 and now Octo-con coming up in a few weeks I tweaked it to add blasters to the wytches but would appreciate some further critiquing.

Archon - punisher, t-helm, p-grenades, drugs, s-field
    7 Grotesques - Raider
    Dracon - p-blades, pistol, 6 incubi - Raider
    2x 10 Wytches w Wytch Weapons, p-grenades, 2 blasters, Succubus w Agonizer, t-rack - Raider
    3x Sniper Squads (10 warriors w 2 Darklances)
    2x Ravager w 3 dissintegrators, n-shield
    Talos

Dracon - no gear to keep points down and afford the 6th incubi.
    Incubi - have worked out great as long as I send tham against regular troops
    Talos - this unit has worked out much better than expected as long as I send it against the right things. I will probably not drop this.
    Grotesques - with the change in Marine's ATSKNF from 3rd edition and the large number of marines at tournaments this unit is slightly less effective than I thought it would be. The archon runs with it and hunts regular troops. I think changing them for a bike squad (with Archon on bike w Agonizer) might be good but I just don't know as I've never fielded bikes.

War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

Overall your list looks fine except for the Grots, which I would definately lose. I'd have another Sniper squad and then use the rest of the points to upgrade a few bits and pieces. Althernatively to another Sniper squad, you could use a slightly larger squad with 2 Blasters and 2 Splinter Cannon. They provide a bridging link between the Raiders and the Snipers. Five Reavers with Blasters can be handy too, and often distract fire from the Raiders.

Would it be worth losing a Wych so you can put the Archon with them? I use a Drachite (Plasma Grenades, Hellmask, Agoniser, Splinter Pistol) with my Wyches. Isn't it stupid that Archites and Drachites can't have Wych Weapons!

Give the Archon, Dracon and the Succubi Gruesome Talismans - for help with outnumbering wether for or against you. I'd also consider giving all my HQ and Succubi Trophy Racks. The extra Ld and numbers are 'force multipliers' and can be well worth their small cost.

Hope this helps and good luck

Lord Ramon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

always get an agoniser. a s4 powerweapon vs S always equals T powerweapon is way better in my books.

id change one of the ravagers to have 3xDarklance. ive used this combo and its quite usuful, as they can hide behind terrain then jump out when that tank shows up.

talos are bloody great. if it gets shot to peices, its done its job. if it reaches close combat, its done its job. for the points you pay, damn good value.

it does feel like the list is missing those jetbikes. either drop the grots or even if yo have to drop the wyches (i run 8, they still do damn well). speed+blasters+champ with agoniser, tormentor helm, and thats a damn handy squad.

howver, ive never used grots, so i cant say too much about them. like ok paper tho...

but its pretty good list. a bit small due to all the elite units youve chosen, but it should do well.

good luck, tim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by medic_4077 View Post
    Archon - punisher, t-helm, p-grenades, drugs, s-field
    I would give this guy an agoniser as opposed to the punisher and obviously switch out the T. Helm for a pistol.

7 Grotesques - Raider
    What is the purpose of this squad?

If your taking these along with the Archon I would ask why? Just for survivability in the intial rush? If so, why not reduce them to a 5 man squad (they are still 10 wounds that way and have their special rule) this woiuld free up 30 points to.....

Dracon - p-blades, pistol, 6 incubi - Raider
    .... give the dracon a Punisher and T.Helm and give the squad grenades.

2x 10 Wytches w Wytch Weapons, p-grenades, 2 blasters, Succubus w Agonizer, t-rack - Raider
    All fine. Personally I prefer slightly smaller wyche squads and a few more warriors, but this works.

3x Sniper Squads (10 warriors w 2 Darklances)
    Why 3? Do you really need 8 Lances? Wouldn't a Splinter cannon squad serve you better fro when you face off against hordes?

2x Ravager w 3 dissintegrators, n-shield
    These are fine but with 2 I would drop the night shields, as the extra protection is ok, but not as useful as the points elsewhere in my opinion.

Talos
    You have no WWP why take a Talos in a tourney list?

Dracon - no gear to keep points down and afford the 6th incubi.
    See above for opinion on this.

Incubi - have worked out great as long as I send tham against regular troops
    That is precisely what Incubi are for, try to aim for big squads with these as you don't want to wipe the enemy onyour turn and 6 incs is alot of attacks on the charge.

Talos - this unit has worked out much better than expected as long as I send it against the right things. I will probably not drop this.
    OK, but isn't it a problem that it's so slow?

Grotesques - with the change in Marine's ATSKNF from 3rd edition and the large number of marines at tournaments this unit is slightly less effective than I thought it would be. The archon runs with it and hunts regular troops. I think changing them for a bike squad (with Archon on bike w Agonizer) might be good but I just don't know as I've never fielded bikes.
    Personally would drop the grots for warriors. Bikes are OK as a squad on their own, hwoever an archon on a bike is not very tournament efficeint as it doesn't get an improved save loses a HUGE amount of move and charge range compared with an archon on a raider (pretty much halves total possible charge distance). Bikes are either Tank hunters or normal troop hunters not monster hunters. If you switch out the archons equip for an ago you get a class act monster hunter .
    Last edited by karantalsis; October 23rd, 2006 at 12:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

if he can fit 3 sniper squads, let him. they're good against anyone, esp MEQs. as for the talos, ive also had good success with him. if anything, he draws fire away from the vulnerable veichles, and if he gets to combat, BONUS! besides, they're damn cheap anyway. and dont forget he gets 6 shots of his own, while he moves too, with a chance at taking out champs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by timk1111 View Post
    if he can fit 3 sniper squads, let him. they're good against anyone, esp MEQs. as for the talos, ive also had good success with him. if anything, he draws fire away from the vulnerable veichles, and if he gets to combat, BONUS! besides, they're damn cheap anyway. and dont forget he gets 6 shots of his own, while he moves too, with a chance at taking out champs.
    A sniper squad is not as effeective aginst units of troops as other things youc an buy for the same points cost. In addition the Talos is a questionable choice as this is tournament level play we're talking about so the raiders will be shot first the talos only when it becomes a threat (which will be never against a mobile army and not until turn 4 against a stand and shoot). Thus I am not sure of its validity hence the question about whether or not he finds its speed to be a problem.

I can't 'let him' use 3 sniper squads he can do whatever he wants, I am just offering advice whcih he can choose to heed or not. His 6 shots are ok, but not worth 100 points especially as they are range 24, whcih makes them avoidable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Excellent suggestions and here's what I changed and how I faired:

Archon - changed to Agonizer, moved the incubi retinue here, everyone has grenades
    Grots - droped from the list
    Raider Squad - a shooty gunboat added to the list (from the grot points)
    Dracon - dropped from the list
    Drachite - Agonizer but no gear, w retinue - all with grenades
    Wytches - dropped one squad to make room for the Drachite + retinue

1) Since the tourney's here all use HoH scenarios there are enough situations that force you to be in reserve that an HQ attached to a Raider is a liability. I felt I was better off having retinues and so took a Drachite
    2) I was having trouble with MC nids and Demon Princes and needed more agonizers, hence the Drachite and the Archon's weapon change
    3) I didn't have any anti-horde units so added a Gunboat

I got a Crushing Victory against Marines, a Massacre against Nids, sufered a Massacre of my own against IG (this player was awesome and no shame to me, he took Best Overall) and a Minor Loss against Marines (to the guy who took Best General). I placed 7th overall (out of 16) but my army was not completely painted and has no fluff or conversions etc. We are still waiting for the final scores for each category to be posted so I'll let you know my Generalship placement later (my Generalshop score was 40, which last year would have put me 2nd, this year though we had some better players I guess and I probably placed 3rd or 4th.)

In all the night shields were a deciding factor in 2 of the 4 games (the victories) because the armies were medium ranged only. Against the IG and last Marine army they were useless. I may look into what I could spend 40 points on. But they would have been useful against the Cron list the Ork list, the other Nid list and 4 of the other marine/chaos armies.

The Talos was ok in this tournament but not as great as it had been in the past. A good percentage of the armies out there are trying to come to you so getting him in CC is not usually a problem. He kept the gaunts off my warriors, helped my HQ defeat an uber librarian HQ and almost secured a table quarter in the IG game which would have prevented my massacre and would have bumped me to 5th place overall.
    Last edited by medic_4077; October 31st, 2006 at 21:17.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

225 (x6)

Thank you for sharing the results - its not often we get follow-up info on the changes you made and how they fared.

Do you think the new list would have done better than first?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

The new list was much better tactically although some of the players from last tournament were disappointed, they had scored me high for taking them and were looking forward to facing them again.

The grots were basically traded for a Drachite upgrade and a gunboat Raider squad. They would have been little help against the 4 armies armies I faced: the synapse nids, 50 fearless conscripts and two marine armies.

I did end up facing MC nids so going from 2 to 4 agonizers made a huge difference.

The Gunboat Raider was useful in laying down the smak against the Genestealers as well as harrasing both marine players. Most opponents ask what's in the Raider and then dismiss it when I tell them 7 splinter rifles and no CC squad leader (so no power weapon). And in truth it rarely shoots it's points worth but it gets ignored a lot and so lives to score me full VP and sometimes claim objectives (which is usually where a scenario is lost or won).

+ Reply to Thread