My revised 1000 point tournment list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My revised 1000 point tournment list

New Tau Army
    Standard scenario - 1000 points
    Force Organisation 1

Shas'el Points: 87
    XV8 Crisis Battlesuit (Missile Pod) (Plasma Rifle) (Multi-tracker)

Crisis Battlesuit Team Points: 77
    Shas'ui Team Leader (Missile Pod) (Plasma Rifle) (Targeting Array), Hard-wired Multi-tracker

Shas'ui Team Leader (Missile Pod) (Plasma Rifle) (Targeting Array), Hard-wired Multi-tracker
    Gun Drone Squadron Points: 72

Shas'ui Team Leader (Missile Pod) (Plasma Rifle) (Targeting Array), Hard-wired Multi-trackerName WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv Notes Points

Gun Drone Squadron points 72
    Gun Dronex6
    Kroot Carnivore Squad Points: 70
    Krootx10

Kroot Carnivore Squad Points: 70
    Kroox10

Fire Warrior Team Points: 100
    Shas'lax10

Shas'lax10

Shas'lax10

Hammerhead Gunship Points: 170
    Railgun (Solid Shot) (Submunition), Burst Cannon, Burst Cannon, Decoy Launchers, Landing Gear, Multi-tracker, Targeting Array, Target Lock

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

First, I think you should have added this to the thread you already started a 9 am.

Moving on...

Obviously the Hammerhead is a great tank, but how much enemy armor do you plan on going up against in a 1000 pt tournament? I can see how it may be worth taking a Hammerhead just in case you meet up with enemy armor, as the railgun's submunition can be good against infantry.

I'm skeptical about all the extra wargear you've added to it as well.
    Burst Cannons - cheaper than SMS, okay
    Landing Gear and Targeting Array are automatic (i.e. Free) so there isn't really any need to list them here
    Multi-Tracker - very good and essential!
    Decoy Launcher - this has its place but not essential
    Target Lock - Do you often need/want to fire the burst cannons seperately?

Personally I am very pro-Infantry and use full squad sizes where possible.

What are 6 drones going to accomplish for you?

If it were me, I'd much rather take full 12-model FireWarrior squads and no less than 15-model Kroot squads.

I've never tried breaking up Crisis suits into single-model teams before. It seems a cool way to give Target Arrays to them without sacrificing weapon slots though. I might have to give this a try. In fact, I usually don't take any Elite Crisis suits, instead depending on a Shas'o + Bodyguard to give me the Crisis suit capabilities; even in larger games.

While I haven't taken it to a tournament per se, my standing 1000 point list is:

Shas'o - missile pod, fusion blaster, plasma rifle, HW multi-tracker, HW drone controller, 2 shield drones

Bodyguard - missile pod, plasma rifle, multi-tracker

12 FireWarriors - Shas'ui upgrade, bonding knife

20 Kroot Carnivores

6 Stealth

Piranha - targeting array, fusion blaster

Piranha - targeting array, fusion blaster

Hammerhead - railgun, SMS, multi-tracker

991 points, 43 models

While the Firewarriors form a static firebase, the Stealth provide a survivable mobile firebase.

I'll admit that the Piranha aren't the most efficient at 1000 points but I got them and currently can't help myself from including them. At 1000 points, it would probably be better to add another 12 FireWarriors or 20 Kroot instead.

Good luck.

Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok this list is much much better.

but i would loose the kroot altogether cuz i really dont think they have a place in a tau list. and for the extra 140 pts you save there i would buy one devilfish and fill the firewarriors to the max ie 12 models.

here is how my list would have been like

HQ shas el plasma rifle, missile pod, multi tracker 87pts

cant see why you would want to pay 25 extra points for those extra wound and bs thingy. maybee 1500+ battles.

elites: 1x xv8 plasma missile and multi tracker 62pts

1x xv8 plasma missile and multi tracker 62pts

troops 12 firewarriors shas ui devil fish-decoy launchers multitracker 225

12 firewarriors shas ui devil fish-decoy launchers multitracker 225

Heavy support

Hammer head railgun multi tracker, 2xburst cannons decoy launchers 165pts

Hammer head railgun multi tracker, 2xburst cannons decoy launchers 165pts

991pts

and there is a list with fast units that can kill almost everything and get away alive.

jon why would you put a fusion blaster and drones on your shas´o? you dont want him 12" from the enemy and with drones he loses his IC status. easy taget for enemy artilery.

well im not here to rant on your list it maybee works for you but me, i have never lost with my tau exept against necrons..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well first off I do not have any devel fish in my army. Kroot on the other hand I have used since I first started playing and the have done me very well, I love kroot. I field 3 Fire warrior squads 2 kroot squads and one human Auxilary unite is my 3000+ amy. This is all I have to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Astroth View Post
    jon why would you put a fusion blaster and drones on your shas´o? you dont want him 12" from the enemy and with drones he loses his IC status. easy taget for enemy artilery.

well im not here to rant on your list it maybee works for you but me, i have never lost with my tau exept against necrons..
    The generic reason why I have a Fusion Blaster on my HQ is because that is how I assembled it years ago when I got the army. Subsequently, since his BS is so high, there doesn't seem to be any point in twin-linking either the Missile Pod or the Plasma Rifle. So the Fusion Blaster is a "just-in-case" thing.

I guess I missed the IC thing; my codex seems to read that the Shas'o loses his IC status if he has a bodyguard but can join other units as an IC despite any drones. IC or not, the drones are an effective way of giving him 6+ wounds; besides, I use my HQ in a fire support role and make sure that it either isn't targetable (JSJ) or doesn't appear to be the most threatening unit on a per turn basis.

Beyond that, my local opponents play mechanized Eldar, SoB and LatD so Artillery hasn't really been a problem.

As for NEVER losing with your Tau? You must be a really ace player. I really haven't kept count over the years but figure I break even 50/50.

As for the Kroot in my 1000 point list, by taking a 1-of-everything approach I feel it gives me more options. The Kroot give me a limited assault/counter-assault element to support my FireWarrior firebase. If the mission allows Infiltrate, the Kroot and Stealth can do that. If the mission allows Deep Strike, the Stealth and HQ can do that. As I said above, the Piranha probably isn't very practical at 1000 points but I rationalize that it gives me additional anti-tank threats as well as late table-quarter grabbers if the mission warrants it.

Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Jon/ homadais please ignore this, he does not lose his IC status when taking drones as wargear and is still an IC if he joins a drone unit, its been discussed to death and its even in the FAQ:
    Link here http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/errata/3/
    If your going to use drones to protect your commander you should us e a full squad of 8 and DO NOT have him attach to the unit.
    IC status protects by saying that if the IC (independant character) is not the closest unit to the targetting unit they cannot be targeted.
    So to preserve this non targeted status you need to use a circular drone formation with the IC in the middle of teh circle, this means that the IC is immune to 90% of shooting attacks and to assaults.
    You must not attach the IC to the unit though, if you do he can be targeted as part of the drone unit.
    Also the Kroot are a sound unit when used properly, so keep them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    Jon/ homadais please ignore this, he does not lose his IC status when taking drones as wargear and is still an IC if he joins a drone unit, its been discussed to death and its even in the FAQ:
    Link here GW Online : News : Errata
    If your going to use drones to protect your commander you should us e a full squad of 8 and DO NOT have him attach to the unit.
    IC status protects by saying that if the IC (independant character) is not the closest unit to the targetting unit they cannot be targeted.
    So to preserve this non targeted status you need to use a circular drone formation with the IC in the middle of teh circle, this means that the IC is immune to 90% of shooting attacks and to assaults.
    You must not attach the IC to the unit though, if you do he can be targeted as part of the drone unit.
    Also the Kroot are a sound unit when used properly, so keep them.
    well not his IC stat just when he got drones he can be targeted just like any other unit in the game. but without he cant of there is a friendly moder closer to the unit that wants to shoot.

instead of shied drones but a shield generator.

buy if he cant be targeted with drones why even take them? a tau player that knows his units and the opponents should never have his comander dead. even xv8 shouldent even be shoot at. the XV8 suite is powerfull but not in the hands of someone who cant use them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

well not his IC stat just when he got drones he can be targeted just like any other unit in the game. but without he cant of there is a friendly moder closer to the unit that wants to shoot.
    No he cant, if he is not the closest unit he cannot be targeted, he is still an IC, if he has drones as wargear they form a unit, but he is still classed as an IC, but if by some chance a unit does get to shoot the IC and drones the hits are dispersed throughout the Ic/Drone unit.
    Also the commander with drones counts as an IC in CC, so the rules for an IC in the rule book apply

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    instead of shied drones but a shield generator.

buy if he cant be targeted with drones why even take them? a tau player that knows his units and the opponents should never have his comander dead. even xv8 shouldent even be shoot at. the XV8 suite is powerfull but not in the hands of someone who cant use them.
    Drones should not be taken as wargear anyway, and niether should Shield Gens, I used to use em but they are expensive and the IC status and JSJ is usually enough for a fireknife suit, a drone squad is a god idea for Helios as they have to get close to do the damage.

+ Reply to Thread