[1500] Ulthwe Attempt for comment - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

[1500] Ulthwe Attempt for comment

OK, first bash at my favourite Craftworld using the New Codex

[HQ]

Farseer
    Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom, Eldritch Storm, Guide.
    165pts

[ELITE]

6, Striking Scorpions including Exarch with Scorpion's Claw, Stalker, Shadowstrike
    148pts

6, Fire Dragons including Exarch with Firepike, Crackshot, Tank Hunters
    136pts

[TROOPS]

10, Dire Avengers including Exarch with Power Sword, Shimmershield, Bladestorm, Defend
    177pts

12, Storm Guardians including 2 flamers, Warlock with Enhance and Singing Spear
    151pts

12, Guardians including Bright Lance, Warlock with Conceal
    166pts

166pts

[FAST ATTACK]

1, Vyper with Scatter Laser
    60pts

60pts

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

1, War Walker, 2 x Starcannons, Spirit Stones
    85pts

1, Falcon, Pulse Laser, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holofield, Spirit Stones
    185pts

Total 1,499pts

Basically the Guardians are now acting as "meatshields" for the AT weapons in a way reminiscent of the Guard. The Farseer will take position between them so they can re-roll any AT "misses".

Vypers and Walkers being BS3 have multi-shot weapons.

The Falcon can be used solo or as a transport for the Dragons.

It sort of keeps the Guardian count high = to Aspect Squads.

What do you reckon?

Last edited by vorlon; October 27th, 2006 at 12:48.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Okay mate, let's take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by vorlon
    [HQ]

Farseer
    Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom, Eldritch Storm, Guide.
    165pts

Good, but I don't know if Eldritch Storm is necessary, is it the same as in the old codex? If so, I'd spend those points on a couple more Scorpions

6, Striking Scorpions including Exarch with Scorpion's Claw, Stalker, Shadowstrike
    148pts

Nice, the Scorpion's Claw is a good choice. Just add a couple of Scorpions to make them more lethal in CC.

136pts
    Great, make sure you have a nice field of vision, so that they can properly place their shots.

10, Dire Avengers including Exarch with Power Sword, Shimmershield, Bladestorm
    177pts

Nice, but I'd give the Diresword a try, use it as a sniper in CC for multi wound characters.

12, Storm Guardians including 2 flamers, Warlock with Enhance and Singing Spear
    151pts
    Flamers, hmm... Personally, I'd take fusion guns, but the flamers add a nice touch for the guardians. You don't have to worry about BS, and if you hit a Doomed unit, then you're likely to get ALOT of wounds.

166pts

166pts
    Good anti tank, save some points by bringing the squad down to 10 men.

60pts

60pts
    These should fare well, maybe use them as distractions, drawing fire from your precious Aspect Warriors.

1, War Walker, 2 x Starcannons, Spirit Stones
    85pts

I generally wouldn't take low armour walkers by themselves, this guy is begging to be shot. I'd take him out and spend the points elsewhere, or give him a buddy.

1, Falcon, Pulse Laser, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holofield, Spirit Stones
    185pts
    Not a bad choice, IMO, but you're trying to be Ulthwe fluffy, no? Generally, Fire Prisms are nice and fluffy for Ulthwe, but can get pricey. I'll leave this one to you.

Not a bad list at all, I certainly can't comment on all aspects of the list (considering I don't have the dex.), but it looks like it'll work together as a whole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All looks good except for one thing.

Get those lances out of your guardian squads!!! They are not going hit anf if you fire them your going to waste the shots of all the guardians anyway. Lances cost to much now to put in squdas of guardians with their BS 3, I suggest either buying a waveserpent for your firedragons and mounting on that, or putting them on the warwalker, as its twin linked it stands more chance of hitting, in return, give the guardians the scatter lasers as they stand more chance of hitting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by $ick View Post

Get those lances out of your guardian squads!!! They are not going hit anf if you fire them your going to waste the shots of all the guardians anyway. Lances cost to much now to put in squdas of guardians with their BS 3, I suggest either buying a waveserpent for your firedragons and mounting on that, or putting them on the warwalker, as its twin linked it stands more chance of hitting, in return, give the guardians the scatter lasers as they stand more chance of hitting.
    War Walkers don't twin-link. Maybe you are thinking of Wraithlords?

As to the list, I like it. As Adrian said the Eldritch storm might be a waste. Scorpions might be better. I recon you did well. Fluffy, balenced, plenty of bodies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by $ick View Post

Hmm, yes I wondered about that - rather like having IG infantry squads with lascannons?

Maybe scatter lasers for the guardians and put the B/L on the two vypers?

As someone said twin-linking is out now for walkers so two ST8 weapons means keeping it pretty immobile - which doesn't seem very "eldar"?
    Last edited by vorlon; October 26th, 2006 at 16:27.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my views

personally i have always been a big fan of more gaurdians and very few aspect warriors in ulthwe as aspect warriors aren't very common as they have more warlocks. i would defo recomend dropping eldritch storm as not once have i found it useful mind war on the other hand rocks. would also be wary about taking storm gaurdians as they tend to not do alot, but if you do take them then fusion guns would be a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by blumley View Post
    personally i have always been a big fan of more gaurdians and very few aspect warriors in ulthwe as aspect warriors aren't very common as they have more warlocks. i would defo recomend dropping eldritch storm as not once have i found it useful mind war on the other hand rocks. would also be wary about taking storm gaurdians as they tend to not do alot, but if you do take them then fusion guns would be a good idea.
    Well the consensus so far seems to be mind war. I like the idea of fusion guns, but as I mostly play DE & Orks I think a flamer on BS3 is a better bet?

Still unsure about what HW for the guardians and vypers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool

judging by your opponent that seems like a good idea. have you considered a wraithlord- new model rocks and gives you an outlet for b skil 4 brightlances and hi is difficult for orks to deals with- just a thaught.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by blumley View Post
    judging by your opponent that seems like a good idea. have you considered a wraithlord- new model rocks and gives you an outlet for b skil 4 brightlances and hi is difficult for orks to deals with- just a thaught.

How about this then?

[HQ]

Farseer
    Singing Spear, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom, Guide.
    133pts

[ELITE]

148pts

136pts

[TROOPS]

10, Dire Avengers including Exarch with Power Sword, Shimmershield, Bladestorm
    177pts

12, Storm Guardians including 2 flamers, Warlock with Singing Spear, Spiritseer, Enhance
    157pts

12, Guardians including Scatter Laser, Warlock with Conceal
    151pts

12, Guardians including Scatter Laser, Warlock with Conceal
    151pts

[FAST ATTACK]

1, Vyper with Shuriken Cannon & Shuriken Cannon upgrade
    60pts

1, Vyper with Shuriken Cannon & Shuriken Cannon upgrade
    60pts

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

1, Wraithlord, Brightlance, Wraithsword
    140pts

185pts

Total 1,498pts

Makes the Guardians and Vypers a bit "shootier", gives a BS4 B/L and a spiritseer to help with "command" radius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah pretty much spot on maybe get rid of a gaurdianfrom each squad and take mindwar. great for killing nobz and scary warbosses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast