1500pts Fast Tyranids, Competitive? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pts Fast Tyranids, Competitive?

I like to write army lists, but i do collect tyranids and i thought this would be a fun list, but also may be competitive. So just go ahead and tear this list apart and give some suggestions.

HQ
    3X Tyranid Warriors with Scything talons, Rending claws, Extended carapace and Leaping
    = 96pts

TROOPS
    6X Genestealers with Extended carapace and Feeder Tendrils = 126pts

FAST ATTACK
    25X Gargoyles = 300pts
    25X Gargoyles = 300pts
    25X Gargoyles = 300pts

Total = 1500pts

As you can see it is a very fast list. Synapse is not too much of a worry because Gargoyles are LD 10. If the gargoyles get into combat quickly their vast numbers will be able to block many firing lanes for my Genestealers that will not be far behind. The Feeder tendrils on my Stealers also help if within range of my Gargoyles, giving them preferred enemy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

you need something for anti tank, recommend zoanthropes although i dont personally use them your going to need something that can easily take out tanks from a distance because against a basilisk your gargoyles are toast and i dont think you'll be able to take it out with the genestealers or warriors, you might be able to but i wouldn't count on it

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Why do all the stealers have feeder tendrils? If this is an aesthetic choice, then cool, but with their WS being so high they're hitting on 3s on most targets anyway.

If you're using them to buff the gargoyles when they get into cc, consider tasking one or two stealer broods only to do this, and use the points saved from the other broods to buy a couple more stealers.

Your warriors will be very vulnerable to heavy weapons fire (particularly the dreaded assault cannon), but hopefully you won't need them except to catch units falling back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you seriously considering forking over $456 for all those gargoyles? Thats insane! Even on ebay you would still be spending about $350 for those kind of numbers. I would seriously reconsider this if only from a financial perspective. $456 could easily buy you a 3000 point army on ebay that has loads of all types of units.
    Tyranids: 4000
    Tau: 725

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your question about feeder tendrils.

The feeder tendril entry in the codex implies that any tyranid unit within 2" of a model with feeder gains preffered enemy, so i'm going to keep my stealers relatively close to my gargoyles so they will hit on 3+. Nasty, EH! Plus feeder tendrils are cheap.

I chose Tyranid warriors as they are the cheapest HQ with speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I really like it. Your gargoyles will be amazing against a skimmer heavy army, which is usually the tyranids' weakness.

You could add some Raveners, they would be good rending, although a little vulnerable, but they would keep your "fast stuff" theme going.

Oh, another option would be to give your warriors wings, and fly them with the gargs. But you don't need to, I think this list could be pretty good as is.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by daroc View Post
    Are you seriously considering forking over $456 for all those gargoyles? Thats insane! Even on ebay you would still be spending about $350 for those kind of numbers. I would seriously reconsider this if only from a financial perspective. $456 could easily buy you a 3000 point army on ebay that has loads of all types of units.
    You have to remember if he really wants that many gargoyles he could just convert them (though that will probally be a lot of man hours it still would be fun army). I think it would be a very interesting army thats for sure though maybe add in a lictor or two may be nice as well to take out some tanks plus their feeder tendrils.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Aye there are many ways to skin a gaunt. I would just find a bucket of toy bugs or something and start the gene-splicing!

I completely forgot something important in my last post - your list has nothing better than 4+ armour! I find it REALLY important to throw in a couple big bugs, at least a Tyrant (which is seriously the best deal for its points out of all Nid units). But without something to soak up fire and force your opponent to diversify his weapons-arsenal, you are going to be heavy-boltered clean off the planet by turn 3.
    Armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Damn. Double posted
    Last edited by Abraham Lincoln; November 9th, 2006 at 15:20.
    Armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x1)

R.E :1500pts Fast Tyranids, Competitive?

Quote Originally Posted by queek View Post
    I like to write army lists, but i do collect tyranids and i thought this would be a fun list, but also may be competitive. So just go ahead and tear this list apart and give some suggestions.

HQ
    3X Tyranid Warriors with Scything talons, Rending claws, Extended carapace and Leaping
    = 96pts

TROOPS

FAST ATTACK
    25X Gargoyles = 300pts
    25X Gargoyles = 300pts
    25X Gargoyles = 300pts

Total = 1500pts

As you can see it is a very fast list. Synapse is not too much of a worry because Gargoyles are LD 10. If the gargoyles get into combat quickly their vast numbers will be able to block many firing lanes for my Genestealers that will not be far behind. The Feeder tendrils on my Stealers also help if within range of my Gargoyles, giving them preferred enemy.
    ok. 3 warriors are fine outfitted but there isn't enough of them about. although there aint't much arounfd that sufferes from no synapse control

The stealer squads are too small in 1500, they need to be bigger, even with the ec upgrade they still might be running of a single heavy bolter firing plus they are horribly over priced though they do kick it in combat.
    the gargoyles is just wrong, having 75 flying things will not only hurt your wallet (plus the cost of glueing and painting the things) but how will you transport them about. They aren't the most stable model as i have discovered.

to improve: more warriors and maybe a flying tyrant, Some hormagaunts if you are going fast as these move from 19inches to 24 inches a turn on the charge, Maybe only a single unit of ten gargolyes as you should have some raveners, at least 4, and to finish maybe a combat orietated carnifex for brutallity. strength 10 attacks don't blow up monoliths for no reason now do they.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast