First Ever Eldar List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Ever Eldar List

Hi,
    I'm completly new to Eldar and vertually new to 40k in general. Until recently I have exclusivly been a fantany player. However, with the glorious new Eldar models, I have decided to give 40k a try and this is my first ever army list. I would be very greatful for pointers and tips from anybody to help me along my way.

My list is as follows-

HQ- Farseer - Guide, Doom, Fortune - 130

Elite- 7 Striking Scorpions - Exarch, Chainsabres, Stalker, Shadow Strike - 154
    4 Wraithguard - Warlock - 165

Transport- Wave Serpent - Twim Linked Bright Lances, Vectored Engines - 155

Troops- 10 Guardians - Eldar Missile Launcher - 100
    10 Guardians - Scatter Laser - 95

Fast Attack- Vyper - Bright Lance, Vectored Engines - 95

Heavy Support- 5 Dark Reapers - Exarch, Tempest Launcher, Fast Shot - 228
    Wraithlord - Wraithsword, Shrunkan Cannon - 110

TOTAL- 1497

Thanks for any comments,
    Will Adams

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by willadams33 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm completly new to Eldar and vertually new to 40k in general. Until recently I have exclusivly been a fantany player. However, with the glorious new Eldar models, I have decided to give 40k a try and this is my first ever army list. I would be very greatful for pointers and tips from anybody to help me along my way.
    hi welcome, what fantasy army?
    Basic Eldar rule - figure out what each unit is bringing to the party. then ask yourself (or someone else) if there is anything that can do it better? does it need to be done? what else needs doing? so...
    My list is as follows-

What is he there to do? you are probably trying to do too much with him, as a basic rule, pick one power that suits his role and stick with it, the exception would be supporting a big shooting squad, in which case arguably guide and doom ar good combinations, but then you need spirit stones
    If you change the list much, thios could go but at the moment it does suit your list so fine
    Try and max the numbers in the squad to make it mroe expensive, I prefer biting blade or claw as weapon (as do most others) for the exarch, it saves them if they get tied into combat with big nasties
    5 would be better give the warlock a power, either enhance or conceal
    Spirit stones
    Try and avoid gicing normal guardians single shot weapons (switch the EML for a multi shot weapon)
    dont waste points on upgrades for Vypers, they aer too fragile, only valid upgrade is the shuriken cannon one, also switch the main gun, as per the guardians his BS is too naff
    Good, but see that Bright lance off the vyper and the EML from the weapons squad? put those on the wraithlords, they have a higher BS and so can be counted on to take down tanks much better
    TOTAL- 1497

Thanks for any comments,
    Will Adams
    No problems, welcome
    Judging from your list, your farseer needs to hang around near your wraithlords, so lose all powers but fortune and buy him a singing spear
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Hi,

My list is as follows-

++Since you can only use one power per turn (Unless you have spirit stones) having this many powers on one model may be a waste. You did pick the best powers, but you'll only be using one at a time, you'll be missing out with the others. Also, the Avatar is a beast now, but in a 1,500 point game, he may be a bit of a point sink. (Eldar HQ's are awesome though, and we do have some great HQ's to choose from) What are your plans for your farseer?

++I really like scorpions. I never leave home without them. Chainsabres seem like a good deal, but I prefer the Scorpion's Claw (Ignore armor, better Str, etc). Although the sheer volume of attacks a chainsabre equipped exarch is something to respect.
    The wraithguard are too slow and too short ranged (In my opinion) to be worth their points. Unless they are in a serpent...I just haven't had anything resembling use out of them. Ever.

++I am assuming this belongs to the wraithguard, correct? If so, nice. Maybe a bit expensive. And since it is one of the few vehicles in your army, it will get hammered with every anti-tank weapon in your opponent's arsenal.

++Don't get single shot weapons for your guardian squads. Their ballistics skill is mediocre at best. The Scatter laser squad is good though. One of my favorite configurations really

++Not a big fan of vypers. For the points cost, they are super fragile. And again, given the BS of the gunner, single shot weapons are a bit useless. (Although, Missile launchers can make for a mobile harrassment unit). Again, as one of the few vehicles in your list, they will likely take a good bit of fire. And then explode in pieces when they are sneezed at.

++I am reservice judgement on the tempest launcher. Give it a try, and let me know what you think. But if you are firing over something, the rest of your reapers are pretty much useless. I have a reaper exarch with missile launcher, and tossing fast shot on him makes light vehicles cry.

++These guys are where the bright Lances should be. Take advantage of their higher BS. Not a fan of the wraithsword. Also, unless your farseer is going to babysit these guys, wraithsight can really be a pain. (I had my wraithlord just stand there for 3 turns in a row! 3!!!)

TOTAL- 1497

Thanks for any comments,
    Will Adams
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In answer to your question I mainly play Tomb Kings in Fantasy, although I have an Empire army aswell, and my TK's army just qualified for the GT final, yay! Okay so I should remove at least one power from the Farseer and give him a Spirit stone. He is meant to stick close to the Reapers to make them as potent as possible. I sort of wanted the Wraithguard to be more combat based, but maybe if I make one combat based and give one 2 bright lances would be better. I'll swap the EML on the guardian unit for another scatter laser. Im really not sure about the wraithguard unit. There guns are good for tanks at short range but then again so are fire dragons guns for far less points. Another wave serpent would be good. Also, what do people think of rangers? As I said I am new to 40k so I am going into the whole thing a bit Blind.
    Will Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by willadams33 View Post
    In answer to your question I mainly play Tomb Kings in Fantasy, although I have an Empire army aswell, and my TK's army just qualified for the GT final, yay!
    congratulations, so that tells us something about your play style and where to work from, what sort of Eldar army are you aspiring to (have you looked through the blurb on the craftworlds? can you identify with one?
    Okay so I should remove at least one power from the Farseer and give him a Spirit stone.
    As a general rule back to those first questions - what is he there to do? is there anything that can do it better? dont try and become jack of all trades, but then dont underspend, so to support big shooting units, guide and doom and spirit stones are entirely viable, to support a unit in a fight then stick with fortuune, to play "hunt the character, then mind war and a bike are the order of the day etc (Will answer the Q after teh next bit)
    He is meant to stick close to the Reapers to make them as potent as possible.
    OK but you will end up paying around 120 points for him,. guide is gonna help them but only 1 in three shots misses, that means for every three reapers for 120 points you will get another hit (slightly better - I am simplifying) but that is costing you 120 points? would it not be better to buy another three reapers and get another 4 hits? See how it goes? Guide is most usefull with a large volume of shots, classically guardian squads or Falcons, in the new codex, war walkers and possibly Dire avengers also come into this bracket, so really Reapers dont need help, indeed about the best thing a farseer can do for a reaper squad is fortune as they will be heavily targeted, on the other hand shooting at tanks is very boolean (you either hit or dont) that was why I suggested sticking the farseer with the wraithlords.
    [quote]
    I sort of wanted the Wraithguard to be more combat based, but maybe if I make one combat based and give one 2 bright lances would be better.
    [quote] I think you mean Wraithlord not guard, giving them a bright lance does not mean they can not be combat based, ti just means the first couple of turns, as they advance, they pick off tanks with their gun
    I'll swap the EML on the guardian unit for another scatter laser. Im really not sure about the wraithguard unit. There guns are good for tanks at short range but then again so are fire dragons guns for far less points. Another wave serpent would be good. Also, what do people think of rangers? As I said I am new to 40k so I am going into the whole thing a bit Blind.
    Will Adams
    Rangers have their moments, if you face something dependant on toughness for survival - Greater demons, Ctan, then they are worth their weight in gold. You need to put them in cover and realise that if you get charged, you will die, the biggest issue with them is that you need a 6 to ignore armour, so agaist MEQs(Marine Equivalents - MArines of all sorts includign chaos and necrons), with a squad of 6 rangers, 5 will hit, one of which ignores armour, of the four normal, two will wound- if you are luck that is one dead marine, and the one ignoring armour will kill another marine half the time, 2 marines for 114 points? is it worth it? can something do it better?
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Farseer is meant to be there to enhance missile units. Maybe it would be more useful putting him near the guardians, but I think that I will swap one of the gardian units for a unit of dire avengers. My only concern with losing the Bright Lance on the Vyper is that it means I only really have 2 anti-tank missile units, assuming at least one of my wraithlords takes a bright lance, though I spose that the Avater and the Wraithlords can easily deal with tanks in combat. Rangers sound cool but, as you correctly pointed out, are not all that cost effective. What I really want to do is take another Wave Serpent. do you think this is wise. The first is there for the fire dragons which will replace the wraithguard. The second would be there to transport the Scorpions and have another twin-linked Bright Lance.

+ Reply to Thread