1500 Friendly vs. Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

1500 Friendly vs. Tau

HQ: 355
    Necron Lord w/ Destroyer Body, Res Orb, Staff of Light, Phylactery – 1850
    Necron Lord w/ Destroyer Body, Res Orb, Staff of Light – 170

Troops: 1080
    10x Warriors – 180
    10x Warriors – 180
    10x Warriors – 180
    10x Warriors – 180
    10x Warriors – 180
    10x Warriors – 180

Heavy Support: 65
    1x Heavy Destroyer – 65

Phase out at 15 models

My goal is to put my phase out number as high as possible. My Tau opponent regularly fields 2 Ionheads and a Hammerhead in 1500 point games (yet feels the need to complain when I throw one Carnifex at him). I wanted to give him some perspective by desigining a list that's difficult and fluffy. The Destroyer Lords zip around the back line adding firepower (and Res Orb support) where needed.

The Heavy Destroyer is pretty much there to draw fire from the tanks on turn one. If I get first turn, he zips out, hopefully pops an ionhead (reducing my friend's AP3 firepower and making him sweat), and then will most probably die.

The only problem with this list is that it's slow and fairly avoidable, which means I need to have a fairly spread out advance (that, or relax and see if he'll come to me ).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a list tailor made to take out Tau, I suggest Veil of Darkness + Res Orb with some 20man squads. Just pop around and rapid fire him crazy. 'Crons are a far sight the BEST army to kill Tau.
    KROOT

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

You want to kill Tau? Three words:

Destroyers. Wraiths. Immortals.

Probably in that order, actually.

Maybe even some Scarabs - Tau lack an abundance of low AP weaponry, so you will almost always be getting your saves/WBB rolls. Take advantage of this to include more of your "elite" sorts of units. Destroyers and Immortals will chew Fire Warriors and tanks apart, while Wraiths can assault Crisis/Stealth suits and eat them up there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to kill tau, that is actually a really bad list. 2 ionheads and a rail head will make short work of your warriors and it will only take 2-3 turns to have them all killed. Like nemesis said, if you realy want to kill tau, just take alot of destroyers. I'd recommend 8 destroyers, 3 wraiths and a lord with VoD/res orb and 7 immortals ... combine that with 20-30 warriors or say 22 warriors and 10 scarabs with d-fields and you're pretty much set. Any tau will find it extremely hard to kill that list. It is highly mobile and highly lethal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Also, Scarab Swarms (as mentioned before) and Deep-Striking or Infiltrated Flayed Ones.
    The Flayed Ones' Terrifying Visage will prove more effective against the lower Leadership of most Tau units, and their normal hand-to-hand prowess will see them mow through masses of anything the Tau can field. Plus, the lack of Power Weapons in the Tau arsenal means that the Flayed Ones will not be going anywhere so long as they stay in combat.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

So, something more like this then?

HQ: 370
    Necron Lord
    Destroyer Body, Res Orb
    Necron Lord
    Destroyer Body, Phase Shifter, Phylactery, Gaze of Flame, Warscythe

Elite:

Troops: 540
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors

Fast Attack: 523
    3 Wraiths
    4 Destroyers
    4 Destroyers

Heavy Support: 65
    1 Heavy Destroyer

Total: 1498
    44 'Necrons'
    Phase Out Number: 11

2 lords, one to follow the Destroyers and keep them up, one to join the wraiths and wreak havoc. Heavy Destroyer 'cause I had some spare points (and it might drop an Ionhead or something, in which case it's earned its points). Warriors advance and take shots at anything the destroyers don't decimate, or take objectives, etc.

Should I drop 10 warriors and replace them with Flayed Ones? I know the Tau are terrible in CC, but I'm leery of deep striking into plasma or near one of my friend's ionheads.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Overall, the list seems to be quite nice.

I'm not too keen on the vast number of upgrades you threw onto your second Lord.. things such as invulnerable saves, etc., won't be needed (when in CC) vs. Tau, in 99% of your cases. Just keep that in mind.

Other than that, it looks nice. You could swap ten Warriors for ten Flayed Ones, and Infiltrate them (I think they can do that, right?) instead of Deep Strike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    I'm not too keen on the vast number of upgrades you threw onto your second Lord.. things such as invulnerable saves, etc., won't be needed (when in CC) vs. Tau, in 99% of your cases.
    Normally, I wouldn't bother either... but it's an experiment in a friendly game (which is part of the reason why I'm running two destroyer lords. Normally, I'd run immortals and a VoD Lord, but he's expecting that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The list looks like it will be fun. I take it the lord with all the wargear is the one running around with the wraiths? If so thats great - he will do alot of damage. Umm i would swap out the warriors for flayed ones and infiltrate them into a good position. Then where ever you plan to assault with your flayed ones, make sure thats where the wraiths and lord is because the gaze of flame will make the flayed ones terrifying visage potent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Exodus View Post
    The list looks like it will be fun. I take it the lord with all the wargear is the one running around with the wraiths? If so thats great - he will do alot of damage.
    Yup, that's the one. I hope to put the fear of the C'tan into some Crisis Suits... once I get my "built with a Wraith body" Lord finished, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Exodus View Post
    Umm i would swap out the warriors for flayed ones and infiltrate them into a good position. Then where ever you plan to assault with your flayed ones, make sure thats where the wraiths and lord is because the gaze of flame will make the flayed ones terrifying visage potent
    Yeah... I'm definitely seriously considering that. Get 'em stuck in, and you don't have to worry about what little AP3/2 weaponry the Tau have.

+ Reply to Thread