1850 vs New Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

1850 vs New Eldar

So my friend has finally gotten his shiney new eldar codex, and is all hyped-up to play against my tau list. I'm not too nervous, but I want to make sure that I've got a decent list running, and didn't miss something obvious in the codex. It might be a bit difficult, as the models I'll be playing agaisnt are going to be mostly cardboard cut-outs. :yes:

Furthermore, I've finally accepted Kroot into my army (I know, I know, don't boo me!), but I'm a bit worried that they'll be shot to death so quickly since they will probably be the only viable target for the eldar at times. I've also thought of dropping the 3 squads of kroot for 3pirahnas... but I don't know...

I don't want a super-cheesy list (although I do have 3 Hammerheads), but at the same time, I want a competative list, so it's a bit of a toss-up.

All criticism is welcomed and appreciated.

HQ (10%)
    Shas'O Y'he Sha'is - 135 (CIB/PR/VRT/SI/HWMT)
    I know the CIB takes a beating on this forum, but against Eldar it's 7 shots, none of which allow armor saves to most of their troops. The only problem is the comparable range to most eldar weaponry.

Shas'el M'yen Ka - 97 (FB/PR/TA/HWMT)
    I'm not sure a helios is the best config agaisnt eldar, but I'm hoping this guy will be able to target elite/MEQ units (striking scorpions, for instance), and any vehicles that get too close to the army as a whole.

ELITE (23%)
    Crisis Team 1 - 139 (TmLd/PR/MP/TA/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)

Crisis Team 2 - 139 (TmLd/PR/MP/TA/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)

Crisis Team 3 - 139 (TmLd/PR/MP/TA/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)
    Fireknives rock against Eldar! They can take down the transports and then punish the troops inside (No armor saves here!), and still stay out of CC.

TROOP (38%)
    Mounted Firewarrior Squad - 240 (12 Shas'ui w/ Devilfish [SMS/TA/MT/DL])

Mounted Firewarrior Squad - 240 (12 Shas'ui w/ Devilfish [SMS/TA/MT/DL])
    I love the Warfish baby-tank, and with enough SMS and BC shots, not too many of the eldar should survive (mostly hitting on 3+, wounding on 2+).

Kroot Carnivore Squad - 70 (10 Kroot)

Not too sure how they will do, but we'll see. I might drop one squad for a pirahna, however, for a bit of security (objective-wise) and for a possibly needed extra Fusion-Blaster punch/transport sealer when applicable.

HEAVY SUPPORT (29%)
    Hammerhead - 180 (RG/SMS/TA/DL/MT/TL)

Hammerhead - 180 (RG/SMS/TA/DL/MT/TL)

Ionhead - 145 (IC/SMS/TA/DL/MT/TL)
    Yeah, submunitions of death... what else can I say? Kind of cheesy, I guess.

Last edited by Y'he Sha'is; November 14th, 2006 at 14:18.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

It doesn't look bad to me..

I would loose the dependancy on crisis suits though. CC is not even the problem.. The eldar army list is still well endowed with low AP weaponry, even with the starcannon toned down. I'd still keep some, as you're very right about the anti vehicle elements (you want lots of mid-strength shots to destroy eldar vehicles.. single strength 10 shots are just going to fall to the glancing only/holofield combo.)

Watch out for swooping hawks.. The 3 railheads are now perfect swooping hawk targets, and at the cost, even if your opponent only destroys one per squad of hawks, it's still a good trade if he hasn't overspent. If they deepstrike close your vehicles, my advice would be to forgo shooting for a turn and move away.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; November 14th, 2006 at 03:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    It doesn't look bad to me..

I would loose the dependancy on crisis suits though. CC is not even the problem.. The eldar army list is still well endowed with low AP weaponry, even with the starcannon toned down. I'd still keep some, as you're very right about the anti vehicle elements (you want lots of mid-strength shots to destroy eldar vehicles.. single strength 10 shots are just going to fall to the glancing only/holofield combo.)

Watch out for swooping hawks.. The 3 railheads are now perfect swooping hawk targets, and at the cost, even if your opponent only destroys one per squad of hawks, it's still a good trade if he hasn't overspent. If they deepstrike close your vehicles, my advice would be to forgo shooting for a turn and move away.
    I would agree with this only with a slight change... move 11" or just under 12" and blast them with Submunitions. Since they can only move 12, you may as well ALWAYS move just slightly less than that so you can fire all weapons...

Eldar have been nicely re-vamped methinks (also an Eldar collector here). Fear the exarchs. A lot has changed but it is all very subtle. I personally think that the fireknives will kick some serious eldar rear. If he takes any pheonix lords, obliterate them or they will smash you (beware they are immune to the instant death rule). Also beware of those pesky Dark Reapers. Unfortunately they outrange you on most things. A submunition or 3 sent their way "should" cause a few casualties. Unfortunately with their MEQ save they stand a better chance than most against it though. Possibly send out a squad of Crisis suits to deal with them (though again, you will be out ranged if not careful).

Of course, thats me. I haven't a clue how your opponent picks or plays his army so there be my 2 cents :wacko:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x2)

Yeah, the swooping hawks scare me a bit with their "grenades of glancing everything", and unfortunately, I talked them up so much to my opponent that I literally talked him in to taking them as a FA choice. Oh well. On the good side, when the do deepstrike, they will be sitting ducks (er...hawks?) for a turn where they will probably suffer a whole bunch of retributive fire.

I think I'm going to drop the 1 HHs for 1 Ionhead, and use the spare pts to make my commander a "Ninja'O", as much for fun as for anything else. It will also give me more shots to fire at the inevitable skimmer-swarm... (list editted above).

Thanks for the advice so far... any more out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Y'he Sha'is View Post
    I think I'm going to drop the 1 HHs for 1 Ionhead, and use the spare pts to make my commander a "Ninja'O", as much for fun as for anything else. It will also give me more shots to fire at the inevitable skimmer-swarm...

So you are expecting Jetbikes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x2)

Who really knows what he'll bring. As my opponent owns 0 models, he could come out with anything, and they will all look identical as they will be cardboard cut-outs with sticky notes saying "Hi. I am a ...".

I know he loves DAs though, so I honestly expect a few of them with the Fire Dragons in a transport, but I couldn't tell you for sure. I expect more of the hard-to-kill skimmers like falcons (packed with Fire Dragons), wave serpents (again, loaded with Howling Banshees and Dire avengers) and Fire Prisms as opposed to jetbikes. It'll be OK, because it will be a bunch of skimmers versus a bunch of skimmers.

I'm flying blind a little bit, which is why the list still has a bit of a "take-all-comers" feel. I suppose that's OK though, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I diffinately dont claim to be an expect here , but hopefully I can offer some useful information.

First I'd look at at what he could possibly want to field in each slot alottment. If I were to play eldar and I was playing against tau my Hq would probably be a farseer and/or a AUtrarch. The reason is because everything else is very slow, (avatar, most phoneix lords, and Yriel). With that in mind your friends HQ will probably be toughness 3 or 4. If he choose an avatar he wasted 155 pts because he is too slow and is over kill for tau in combat.

I'd be paying alot of attention to his Elite troops. Infiltrating Scorpians, wave serpents loaded with Banshees, fire dragons, and even wraithguard are deadly. As an eldar player I think taking Wraithguard wouldnt be worth it because firedragons would AP any tau (in ur list as well), and instant kill suits with str 8 weapons (wraithguard need a 6 to wound to insta kill and lose alot of there power against tau because their high toughness of 6 is negated by long range high str Weapons). I shouldnt have to even mention Harlequins either. They are just awesome.

As for troops eldar have a huge array of troops. I doubt he will take guardians since u AP them with basic rifles. (and because warlocks come with Wblades they are too manytpoints for just plain conceal protection) Even with platforms u still probably outclass guardians. (heck because of ur 4+ save u might even have a chance in combat probably not a good one but a chance nonetheless).
    Dire Avegeners are a different story, in shotting I'd consider Fire warriors and DA's roughly equal, combat DA' have a big advantage. Rangers wont do much for him ( tau have no high Toughness stuff) and bikes will be ok but not great. If anything expect no more than 1 squad of bikes, and rangers if he takes any at all.

Eldar's fast attack arent as great as their other options. Hawks will get AP'd by anything in the Tau army. If they deep stirke in they are goners. Warp Spiders really are pointless. Shining Spears are the only things worth anything in fast attack

Hvy support just about anything goes! Dark Reapers, War warlkers, Falcons, Fire prisms, and hvy platforms are all solid choices against most armies.

Looking at ur army I am wondering what u will do with the kroot? The basic Eldar weapons will put a real hurting on them. Dire avengers will shoot 2 or 3 times at them and really hurt ur numbers. In combat the kroot will have a hard time with eldar because everything in the eldar army besides guardians are Init 5 or higher. With any eldar squad charging the kroot (and they will be more likely to charge u then u them).The eldar will probably wipe out all kroot within the kill zone radius (Especially harlequins with 4 str 4 rending attacks each!) I am not sure how good Piranha's will be either ( I dont like them much). Though against eldar they will be more effective then they normally are since they AP some stuff and wound everything on a 2+.

Looking at everything else I think u have the right idea. Ur crisis suits, leaders, and tanks are all solid choices. Write back to us and tell us how it went.
    Last edited by infamousrice; November 20th, 2006 at 14:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x2)

We pretty much obliterated each other.... I think we each had a single squad left on the field after turn 8 (extra rounds were played). While it was a fun game, it also raised a few questions for me about my list (no more kroot for me!)...

Overall, there was an autarch w/ Swooping hawk wings, 2 units of DAs in Wave Serpents, 1 unit of Swooping hawks, 1 units of Banshees in a Wave Serpent, 1 unit of infiltrating striking scorpians and 2 Fire Prisms (I think that was it...).

In summary of the game: it was "recon" with lost of buildings and he got first turn, did some massive damage to my stationary skimmers, and then I fought back as the game went on. I was a bit too aggressive with my army as a whole (especially the crisis, who were just deadly to anything they got near), I made a mistake of jumping my crisis out for the other side on turn 2... they died quickly. The kroot were destroyed so quickly, and actually gave him the extra 6" movement from the charge and (even though I killed some because I went first), he slaughtered them (after shooting them up something fierce with the DAS & bladestorm) and go the extra massacre move when his guys were out of the transport. But I just bought the models, so I had to use them...

It was a really fast, really hard game to play, and it was the first time I have encountered an army that can truly match all of my mobility potential, and then add some to it (tyranids can match it easily, but not like this). I should have taken pictures, but the eldar were just carboard cut-outs, so they would have looked stupid. Overall, we had the same strategy of trying to destroy/immobilize the transports and then let the heavy artillery take care of what came out. It wasn't pretty on the troop surviving end.

Overall, I think I might add a unit of pathfinders or another unit of mounted firewarriors to help destroy stuff when it gets out after dropping the kroot/pirahnas... we'll see. I might reconfigure my HS choices to be 3 XV-88s and 2 Ioncannons (or 1 railhead, 2 Ionhead to save points), but that means I have a stationary element in the army, which didn't seem to last or be able to shoot for long. On the positive side, Railguns made short work of any tank that didn't move. I think the next game we'll play escalation...

Their vehicles are even more survivable that ours, with Holo-fields that are just terrible to fight against (although making a fire prism not shoot is almost as good as destroying it), but wave serpents are just fodder for crisis suits and Ion cannons (although this is after they move 36"!). I honestly felt like the two armies were designed to destory each other with the way the weaponry is designed. We're playing again in two saturdays, so I'll let you know how it goes again if you care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're lucky he didn't include the new harlequins. They are completely ridiculous!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree, Harlequins appear to be balance for their points. The Shadowseer however will cause untold amount of problems for Tau as they attempt to shoot at the advancing fleet of foot harlequins and realise they cant see them (much in the same way as stealths).

Of course, the Harle's will rip Tau a new a##hole in hand to hand and proceed to walk through any lines (which there hopefully wont be in a mech army)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast