1000 Point Friendly Eldar (new codex) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 Point Friendly Eldar (new codex)

Edit: Thanks for the advice, let's try out this one.

With the new codex available, I need to rework my counts-as-Eldar list, so I thought I'd offer up my first draft for some constructive criticism from the clever folks at LO. My design constraints are no Avatar, no Wraithlord, and absolutely nothing with an AV. What I have so far:

Total Points: 1000 pts.

HQ: 108 pts.

Farseer w/jetbike, singing spear, mindwar

Elite: 164 pts.

6 Harlequins w/shadowseer upgrade, death jester upgrade, 4 harlequin's kisses

Troops: 240 pts.

5 Rangers w/Pathfinder upgrade

Fast Attack: 488 pts.

7 Swooping Hawks w/Exarch upgrade, skyleap, intercept, sunrifle

6 Warp Spiders w/Exarch upgrade, spinneret rifle

Right now, the list relies fairly heavily on pinning (6 sources). Hawks do what they have to do to handle AV 13+. Pathfinders handle MCs (I play a lot of Tyranid MC lists). Warp spiders scoot halfway up the board to skirmish with what they can, and the Harlies and Farseer trail 18" or so behind to add fire/remove powerfists. If the Spiders get caught in assault while playing their game, the Harlies charge in to mop up. Any advice on the new list's vulnerabilities?

Last edited by Sycophant; November 16th, 2006 at 20:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Don't know, maybe drop a unit of hawks for a unit of Warwalkers (they have scouts, so they are still pretty fast)
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ: 105 pts.

Autarch w/Reaper launcher, power weapon
    lose him as he isn't adding anything and any eldar force without an avatar really needs a seer

Troops: 544 pts.

6 Guardian Jetbikes w/2 shuriken cannon

lose the pathfinder upgrade it uses up way too many points for 1k list, the jet bikes are nice but it would be best to keep em as cheap as possible so i suggest you drop the cannons.

you need some advengers or defenders badly any force bar one from saim-han (and even then) needs a couple of solid footsloggers toting bfg's and the ability to use em

Fast Attack: 346 pts.

6 Swooping Hawks w/Exarch upgrade, skyleap, intercept, sunrifle

i personally hate swooping hawks and even if i didn't 2 squads is too much drop one (preferably both :lol: ) and maybe get some vypers with scatter lasers

you will also need to get some anti-tank power from somwhere you could put some bls or emls on vypers or maybe take a falcon etc whatever works for you but you do really need it
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Sycophant View Post
    With the new codex available, I need to rework my counts-as-Eldar list, so I thought I'd offer up my first draft for some constructive criticism from the clever folks at LO. My design constraints are no Avatar, no Wraithlord, and absolutely nothing with an AV. What I have so far:

Total Points: 995 pts.

Yeah, this guy isn't adding much and costs too much. Drop him and get a seer.

I'd probably drop a unit of pathfinders (or both, really, both) and a unit of jetbikes, and break the last unit of jetbikes into two units. 3x jetbikes aren't a whole lot of a threat, and so are easy for the opponent to ignore.

You're worried about tanks, that's understandable, but 2 units is too much, IMO. Drop a unit and consider dropping skyleap, and maybe sunrifle.

Right now, the list relies fairly heavily on pinning or baiting away assault units to stop an early game advance and on VP denial or objective claiming in the late game. I'm worried about getting enough firepower against MEQs, but I'm not sure how to do it. Any advice?
    You list does lack punch, badly. I'd recommend (trying) Harlies. They'll add a lot of punch and with a far-seer with them have a decent resistance to attack. Otherwise maybe a unit of warpspiders (or both if you can afford it). Refusing to use anything with an AV really handicaps you, our troops (read: elites) rely on WS a lot.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Its not a terrible loadout for the autarch, but he's standing alone and can be easy pickings for anyone that can get to him and remove a tenth of your army.

You could always go the close combat route, give him a bike and one of the jetbike squads for cover, and swap the reaper launcher for a banshee mask and avenger shuriken catapult or a fusion gun if you ahve the points for it. Either of those makes the guy deadly at thirty inches because of the jetbike. (or twenty four inches in the case of the fusion gun.)

I agree with Plague_00 that these guys could be about as good as just rangers rather than pathfinders.

As a Saim Hann player I'm fond of the six/twelve jetbike squad over smaller ones; though breaking both squads into four gives you the ability to shoot at four different targets rather than one. (The only problem with a min/maxxed jetbike squad is that after one wound your testing four 25% casualties from shooting.)

Again I have to agree with Plague_00 that two of these squads is a bit much; maybe think about taking away one for an elite aspect squad? Banshees or fire dragons so that you can deal with heavy stuff despite the short range.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: The new list is now in the first post, please keep the advice coming.

Wow, thanks for all the advice. Sorry to those who recommended taking vehicles, but I have sort of a feral Exodite theme going with the army and I just don't see myself ever fielding them (even the guardian jetbikes are beast riders...still looking for the right conversion).

I like Harlies, and the CC is really lacking, so that's on the table (can't be cheese if it's the only power unit in the army, can it?). The Autarch is only in there to give synergy to the Hawks, so since everyone recommends getting rid of both Autarch & Hawks, maybe it would make sense to ditch the Skyleap artillery technique entirely and free up some points, keeping one larger Hawk squad for the anti-tank. Thanks again, I'll play with it and edit the original post once I'm done.
    Last edited by Sycophant; November 16th, 2006 at 20:05.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

You really need a bright lance on something. At the moment you are seriously lacking in the long range anti-tank department, which can be fatal.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

Edit: Thanks for the advice, let's try out this one.

Total Points: 1000 pts.

HQ: 108 pts.

Farseer w/jetbike, singing spear, mindwar
    This is a combination that I've used more than once. Unfortunately, it doesn't always do a lot and can sometimes get out front in the danger zone. I'd drop the bike and switch mind war for fortune and run him with the harlies.

Elite: 164 pts.

6 Harlequins w/shadowseer upgrade, death jester upgrade, 4 harlequin's kisses
    You need more bodies. Drop the death jester upgrade. Add bodies and kisses.

Troops: 240 pts.

Fast Attack: 488 pts.

7 Swooping Hawks w/Exarch upgrade, skyleap, intercept, sunrifle

To help free up points I'd probably drop 1 unit of warp spiders and increase the other squad's numbers to 8 (and get the exarch withdraw!), and fill out the harlie unit.

Other than that it's looking a lot better.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again! I'm going to tinker with the 2nd draft of the list as-is, proxy and run a few simulation games, and then with the changes you recommend to see which one proves more fun for me. I appreciate all the insightful commentary - LO hasn't disappointed.

+ Reply to Thread