Friendly 750 allrounder - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friendly 750 allrounder

Hello there, im trying to make a good alrounder list for games at the local games workshop and ive been having a few problems. My aim is to make a list that has a lot of versatility and is still interesting to play. here we go

HQ
    Hive tyrant
    + Twinlinked Devourer
    + Twinlinked Devourer
    + BS

Elites
    [3]Warrior brood
    + Leaping
    + Scything Talons
    + Rending Claws
    + WS
    + I
    + Sv

Troops
    [10]Hormagaunt

[10]Hormagaunt

[8] Termagaunts

[6] [I]Genestealers[/I]
    + Sv

Heavy Support
    [1] Carnifex
    +Venom Cannon
    + Barbed Strangler
    + Bs

Last edited by Huwith; November 24th, 2006 at 03:05. Reason: Missed out Genestealers and Leaping on warriors :S
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Life is Nothing without challenge

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Huwith View Post
    HQ
    Hive tyrant
    + Twinlinked Devourer
    + Twinlinked Devourer
    + Enhanced Senses
    This guy's very slow, and poorly protected. I suggest sacrificing the Adrenal Glands (WS) on your Warriors to get him extended carapace. If you can spare points, try to get him a venom cannon. I feel Devourers are too short-ranged to field on a walking Tyrant.

Elites
    [3]Warrior brood
    + Scything Talons
    + Rending Claws
    + Adrenal Glands (WS)
    + Adrenal Glands (I)
    + Extended Carapace
    3 warriors... but these guys are your only real CC threat. I know they're back-up Synapse, but you should probably consider replacing them with Genestealers.

Troops
    [10]Hormagaunt

[10]Hormagaunt

[8] Termagaunts
    No biomorphs, good. That brood of 8 Termagaunts really isn't providing you much benefit, though. I'd suggest dropping it (and the Warriors) in favor of Genestealers. Genies'll help you if you wind up facing a Wraithlord.

Heavy Support
    [1] Carnifex
    +Venom Cannon
    + Barbed Strangler
    + Enhanced Senses
    I've got no problems with this guy. He's perfect anti-tank, and he'll shread tightly-bunched troops too. For the points you're playing, he's awesome (and will probably prove to be an unanticipated surprise).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja View Post
    This guy's very slow, and poorly protected. I suggest sacrificing the Adrenal Glands (WS) on your Warriors to get him extended carapace. If you can spare points, try to get him a venom cannon. I feel Devourers are too short-ranged to field on a walking Tyrant.

3 warriors... but these guys are your only real CC threat. I know they're back-up Synapse, but you should probably consider replacing them with Genestealers.

No biomorphs, good. That brood of 8 Termagaunts really isn't providing you much benefit, though. I'd suggest dropping it (and the Warriors) in favor of Genestealers. Genies'll help you if you wind up facing a Wraithlord.

I've got no problems with this guy. He's perfect anti-tank, and he'll shread tightly-bunched troops too. For the points you're playing, he's awesome (and will probably prove to be an unanticipated surprise).
    Yea so basically replace my army with genestealers ?
    just kidding.

i agree with you that my Hive Tyrant is either too slow or to vulnerable. I'm still thinking about changing that. I would love to give him wings but i have never worked with Green stuff and so am a bit worried as to what they will turn out like . As for the extended carapace, well im not yet sure if it will be very useful as most people only shoot them with Lascannons/plasma weapons and Multi-meltas anyway, so i dont really get to save that often. Another option is adding a single tyrant guard. This would give the tyrant some great survivabilty and if the guard gets into CC some extra assault Omph.

As far as the warriors go, i really dont want to remove them as, as you said they are my only source of backup Synapse and even then they or the hive tyrant often end up getting wasted, so i need all the synapse i can get. My only problem with them at the moment is that they have a lot of upgrades and i am a little worried that they may be a little costly (coming in at 120 points or 40 each). I tried to upgrade them so that they would be more useful in CC but yea im leaning towards downgrading them more. How much should i downgrade them so that they are still a danger in CC but not too costly?

And last but not least the Termagaunts.
    I used to play a list with only the 2 squads of 10 hormagaunts but it didn't quite seem to tie up the enemy enough, they just squised the 2 squads and then turned around to rapid fire on the rest of my army. Although it did depend on the game.

I actually played this list today at the Local GW store and it faired alright. I won both games, one against eldar and the other against necrons, although my opponents both made some big mistakes. My main problems with this list has been my hormagaunts outrunning my synapse all the time. I'm wanting to give wings to one of my synapse creatures but im not sure which one? the Hive tyrant is slightly cheaper to give wings to but harder to model, While the warriors are easier to gun down. i just dont know....

But thanks for the reply i pretty much agree with you on all points, except for taking away the warriors, as i really need the synapse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

i agree with you that my Hive Tyrant is either too slow or to vulnerable. I'm still thinking about changing that. I would love to give him wings but i have never worked with Green stuff and so am a bit worried as to what they will turn out like . As for the extended carapace, well im not yet sure if it will be very useful as most people only shoot them with Lascannons/plasma weapons and Multi-meltas anyway, so i dont really get to save that often. Another option is adding a single tyrant guard. This would give the tyrant some great survivabilty and if the guard gets into CC some extra assault Omph.
    Those are all good options. Flyrants are tricky to use because they get expensive FAST, and as soon as he's on the board your opponent thinks "OMG I HAVE TO KILL THAT THING!" But wings would definitely make your devourer-tyrant nasty. Otherwise, bigger guns and some carapace/guards are the way to go I think.

As far as the warriors go, i really dont want to remove them as, as you said they are my only source of backup Synapse and even then they or the hive tyrant often end up getting wasted, so i need all the synapse i can get. My only problem with them at the moment is that they have a lot of upgrades and i am a little worried that they may be a little costly (coming in at 120 points or 40 each). I tried to upgrade them so that they would be more useful in CC but yea im leaning towards downgrading them more. How much should i downgrade them so that they are still a danger in CC but not too costly?
    I would drop the AG(WS), since the only damage these guys really do are through their rending, which doesn't rely on WS. AG(I) on the other hand, now that is nasty. Greatly increases their survivability as well. Wait... I don't think your Warriors actualy do cost 40 pts each. Aren't they 33? I don't have my codex with me so I might be wrong. Anyhow, if you drop AG(WS) they will only be 30 pts. If you don't mind making them more expensive, if you give them Leaping they hit faster thus avoiding more shooting (therefore live longer). That's how I run mine, but yeah it can be expensive.

And last but not least the Termagaunts.
    I used to play a list with only the 2 squads of 10 hormagaunts but it didn't quite seem to tie up the enemy enough, they just squised the 2 squads and then turned around to rapid fire on the rest of my army. Although it did depend on the game.

I actually played this list today at the Local GW store and it faired alright. I won both games, one against eldar and the other against necrons, although my opponents both made some big mistakes. My main problems with this list has been my hormagaunts outrunning my synapse all the time. I'm wanting to give wings to one of my synapse creatures but im not sure which one? the Hive tyrant is slightly cheaper to give wings to but harder to model, While the warriors are easier to gun down. i just dont know....
    Hmmm but how your list is right now, your gaunts aren't actualy going to be rescued by anyone, besides those 3 warriors. I would back up poptarts that some genestealers would be a better addition than the termies... but then comes the problem with outrunning synapse...

I have to say that a winged Hive Tyrant is the ultimate answer to hormies outruning your synapse. Much beter than winged warriors (whom I despise). However, at this low points level a winged hive tyrant would be a huge points sink.

It might be a beter idea to lose the super-fast hormies in favor of more termies (and don't forget to squeeze in some genestealers!). Otherwise, a combo I use sometimes in low-points games is a Broodlord up front for the forward synapse, with the warriors trudging along behind. Although this is a tricky strategy, because the Broodlord and retinue get hammered by everything your opponent can send at them... mine usually just hides behind a rock and waits for the hormies to show up.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    Those are all good options. Flyrants are tricky to use because they get expensive FAST, and as soon as he's on the board your opponent thinks "OMG I HAVE TO KILL THAT THING!" But wings would definitely make your devourer-tyrant nasty. Otherwise, bigger guns and some carapace/guards are the way to go I think.

I would drop the AG(WS), since the only damage these guys really do are through their rending, which doesn't rely on WS. AG(I) on the other hand, now that is nasty. Greatly increases their survivability as well. Wait... I don't think your Warriors actualy do cost 40 pts each. Aren't they 33? I don't have my codex with me so I might be wrong. Anyhow, if you drop AG(WS) they will only be 30 pts. If you don't mind making them more expensive, if you give them Leaping they hit faster thus avoiding more shooting (therefore live longer). That's how I run mine, but yeah it can be expensive.

Hmmm but how your list is right now, your gaunts aren't actualy going to be rescued by anyone, besides those 3 warriors. I would back up poptarts that some genestealers would be a better addition than the termies... but then comes the problem with outrunning synapse...

I have to say that a winged Hive Tyrant is the ultimate answer to hormies outruning your synapse. Much beter than winged warriors (whom I despise). However, at this low points level a winged hive tyrant would be a huge points sink.

It might be a beter idea to lose the super-fast hormies in favor of more termies (and don't forget to squeeze in some genestealers!). Otherwise, a combo I use sometimes in low-points games is a Broodlord up front for the forward synapse, with the warriors trudging along behind. Although this is a tricky strategy, because the Broodlord and retinue get hammered by everything your opponent can send at them... mine usually just hides behind a rock and waits for the hormies to show up.
    Yea sorry my Warriors Do have leaping, i just forgot to write it up in the list .
    Actually looking at this list its only like 500ish points....Damn i missed out my Genetstealers... Ill edit the orgional list with what it should have been :cry:

Sorry about that, What a silly mistake.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread