new to eldar and need help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new to eldar and need help

hi everyone, ive been reading the posts here for about a year, and i really love the eldar
    im finally starting a new list and i just wanted some feedback on where i should go with it.

I havent bought alot, so nothing is final. Here it is.

What i've bought(got this on ebay for like $100):
    5 wraithguard
    3 wraithlord
    16 reapers, no exarch
    10-11 striking scorps, no exarch
    5-6 swooping hawks, no exarch
    5 fire dragons, no exarch

What i want to buy:
    HQ:
    Autarch(jetbike, laserlance, mandiblaster, fusgun)130pt
    Farseer (doom, guide, rune of witnessing, spirit stone)120pt

Elite:
    6 fire dragons (ex. tank hunt) 123pt.

Troops:
    10 dire avengers (ex. bladestorm, 2 catp.) in wave serpent (TLbrightlances, soulstones, vect. engines) 317pt. ea.
    a seconed squad of avengers same upgrades, another serp. same upgrades

Fast attack:
    5 shining spears (ex. hit&run, starlance) 227pt. joined by Autarch

heavy:
    Falcon(starcannon+starcannon, soulstones, vect. engines, oloshield)195pt.

my plan here is to have the swooping hawks cause mahem with sky leap, the dire avengers make the core of my army, and they will most likely be in the wave serpents. The scorps will infiltrate, for assault. The shinging spears will be a sort of fast attack assault/harrasment. The wave serpents will also be tank hunting. The falcon with have star cannons or shuri cannons, and the fire prism is for long range heavy support. Im not sure what to do with the farseer, i could take away one of the shining spears and put him with some jet bikes, but im not sure. I also want to point out that i have no idea how much this army is point whise, as i dont have the codex.

All suggestions are welcome, as long as they aren't, obnoxious, thanks again

Last edited by Kaleo101; November 30th, 2006 at 04:34.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

hi everyone, ive been reading the posts here for about a year, and i really love the eldar
    im finally starting a new list and i just wanted some feedback on where i should go with it.

Welcome

5 wraithguard
    3 wraithlord
    16 reapers, no exarch
    Im guessing all of this is outdated stuff. I hope you realised that when you bought it..
    Still, $100 is cheap but yeah i doubt its the new stuff..

What i want to buy:
    2x dire avenger
    2x wave serpent
    2x war walker
    2x shining spears
    wraithlord
    swooping hawks
    falcon
    fire prism
    farseer
    Thats WAY too much, you'll end up with like a 5000 point army. It will cost a fortune, & you will spend 3 years painting it all :lol:

I would suggest simply buying the codex and making a few smaller & more managable army lists. 500-1000 points is a good start. Then post the list & we'll help you out.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleo101 View Post

5 wraithguard
    3 wraithlord
    16 reapers, no exarch

What i want to buy:
    2x dire avenger
    2x wave serpent
    2x war walker
    2x shining spears
    wraithlord
    swooping hawks
    falcon
    fire prism
    farseer

my plan here is to have the swooping hawks cause mahem with sky leap, the dire avengers make the core of my army, and they will most likely be in the wave serpents. The scorps will infiltrate, for assault. The shinging spears will be a sort of fast attack assault/harrasment. The wave serpents will also be tank hunting. The falcon with have star cannons or shuri cannons, and the fire prism is for long range heavy support. Im not sure what to do with the farseer, i could take away one of the shining spears and put him with some jet bikes, but im not sure. I also want to point out that i have no idea how much this army is point whise, as i dont have the codex.

All suggestions are welcome, as long as they aren't, obnoxious, thanks again
    As manu said the points are horrific. The Eldar units are mostly expensive and so you will be outnumbered.

The way you need to do it is to stop shiopping now, take the models you have, create an army, say 1000 points and start playing with it, learn what works together and how you want the army to play (this does nto necessary have a right answer, a lot depends on the second part of the statement, then come back and get helpon how to grow the list
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had no idea it would be that big(i just looked at my friends codex). Does anyone have any suggestions on what might make a good army based on what i have.

thanks again to Manu-forti and Cheredanine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by the way can i not use old models to make a squad bigger?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleo101 View Post
    by the way can i not use old models to make a squad bigger?
    of course you can

5 wraithguard
    3 wraithlord
    16 reapers, no exarch
    You can not make this into an army because you lack the two mandatory components (2 troop choices and 1 HQ)
    Problems you have generally is a lack of exarchs which really apply punch to units,
    your reapers can provide a lethal long range fire support but you can not take them and the wraith lords (too many HS slots). If that is the basis of your army, then the dragons are pointless (they pretty much are anyway without a transport), as are the wraithguard, the hawks can help as much as hawks ever can, the scorps can make a fine speedbump but realyl need an exarch, you then need to add 2 troops and a HQ, I would suggest a couple of squads of avengers or even guardians and a farseer
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Dont forget you can always try to convert the ones you arent going to use into things that you need. Such as the Fire dragons into Dire Avengers.

I'd suggest selling off some of that stuff which you wont need (2 wraithlords & atleast 6 Dark reapers), to help get atleast a couple of units of the new stuff. (the manditory troops & HQ which Cheredanine mentioned)
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

You need to get an hq... I would recommend an Avatar and farseer. Use a waithlord and 2 units of Reapers. Get some pathfinders or dire avengers (get which ever you like or buy 5 more waithguard). take the waithguard but buy a warlock. Buy a swooping hawk exarch. Buy a Wave Serpent. Thats a pretty fair army

What you need to buy: Avatar, Farseer, 2 units of: pathfinders or dire avengers (1 box can make two min squads) or buy 5 more waithguard, get a warlock, Swooping hawk exarch, and finally a wave serpent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok guys i changed my to buy list. this list adds up to about 1429pts. I think it is a pretty good all around list, execpt that if i lose my shining spears early, i lose all cc ability. also i feel as though i dont have enough anti-tank. comments and ideas plz

here's the list revised:

HQ:
    Autarch(jetbike, laserlance, mandiblaster, fusgun)130pt
    Farseer (doom, guide, rune of witnessing, spirit stone)120pt

Elite:
    6 fire dragons (ex. tank hunt) 123pt.

Troops:
    10 dire avengers (ex. bladestorm, 2 catp.) in wave serpent (TLbrightlances, soulstones, vect. engines) 317pt. ea.
    a seconed squad of avengers same upgrades, another serp. same upgrades

Fast attack:
    5 shining spears (ex. hit&run, starlance) 227pt. joined by Autarch

heavy:
    Falcon(starcannon+starcannon, soulstones, vect. engines, oloshield)195pt.

total 1429

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

the first thing I notice is that your falcon can only have 1 starcannon, and it must always have the pulse laser.

consider dropping the autarch from the jetbike (and the lance) and putting in the serpent with a squad of dire avengers.

then put the other farseer in the other serpent.

Consider getting 2 squads of 3 spears.

The main that points out to me is that you have no CC and very few models on the board. my 1500 pt army and many other lists i have seen posted would outnumber 2:1 at least.

Also your dire avengers will almost undoubtly be assaulted or you will be forced to assault, since you do not have any CC troops, consider different exarch upgrades to compensate for this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast