2000 Pts Mechanized Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

2000 Pts Mechanized Eldar

2000pt Mechanized Eldar

Key:
    Blue: vehicle upgrades / wargear
    Green: weapon upgrades
    Red: psychic powers / abilities

HQ:
    140 pts Autarch w/ Jetbike, laser lance, mandiblasters, fusion gun (rides with spears)
    175 pts Farseer w/ doom, fortune, jetbike, runes of warding, spirit stones

Troops:

152 pts 6x guardian jetbikes w/ 2x shuriken cannon

Elites:

96 pts 6x fire dragons (rides in falcon)

Fast attack:

227 pts 4x shining spears + exarch w/ withdraw, star lance
    152 pts 4x swooping hawks + exarch w/skyleap, intercept, sunrifle
    247 pts 9x warp spiders + exarch w/ sneak attack, spinneret rifle(start in reserve)

Heavy Support:

205 pts Falcon w/ spirit stones, vectored engines, holofield, starcannon
    150 pts Fire Prism w/ vectored engines, star engines
    150 pts Fire Prism w/ vectored engines, star engines

1998 pts
    47 models

Tactics:
    This is my first shot at a large scale fully mobilized eldar army with the new codex.
    HQ:
    Autarch, this guy is tooled to run with the shining spears and destroy anything in their path, he also works in concert with the hawks to allow them to hop in and out of play meanwhile leaving me a very good chance to bring them back onto the field the next turn with his +1 to reserves rolls.

Farseer, flies around primarily with the guardian squads dooming any squad that would dare stand in their way, meanwhile casting fortune on the alpha squad of guardians who fly in a column to block fire. When turbo boosted they will recieve a 3++ re-rollable save against shooting and force a leadership test to shoot past them into the remaining squads. However he is not limited to the guardians and is more than free to help the shining spears who lead the assault.

Troops:
    Guardian Jetbikes, since guardian jetbikes are the only mechanized troop we have, I naturally chose them as my bread and butter unit. My troops can concentrate 42 shots a turn with 2/3s of those being rerolls as well as have a ~72" movement range should they all decide to turboboost in different directions.

Elites:
    Fire Dragons, I have a fondness for fire dragons, maybe its because they killed me 400 pts of GKT once, or maybe its because they have never failed to pop a vehicle for me or erase a overly tooled independant HQ. I love dragons in falcons, so thats why I have them.

Fast Attack:
    Shining Spears, I have never used these before but since their retooling I'm very excited to see them in action. This unit is my armies scalpel, obliterating troublesome squads with razor precision.

Swooping hawks, if the shining spears are my scalpel, then this unit is my hammer; dropping template death while arriving in another location to vaporize vehicles or pin down fast moving assault squads (such as enemy bikers for instance).

Warp Spiders, deep struck full squad of warp spiders with an almost guaranteed pinning weapon? nuff said.

Heavy Support:
    Falcon, this is a no brainer, hardest battle tank in the 40k universe in my opinion, every mechanized list should have one.(or more!)

Fire Prism, I am a fan of the new Fire Prism. I feel that it is sooo much more effective at what it does now compared to the last codex. The prisms I run are fully kitted out, so they are effectively like 2 more falcons except with beautiful beautiful weaponry. It's hard enough for an army to take down 1 falcon let alone 3, and running 2 prisms lets me have a twinlinked 10S AP1 deathray that can melt through any vehicle with relative ease while still affording me a 6S AP3 pie plate to erase entire squads of infantry from 5 feet away.

Questions? Comments? You know the drill.

*Edit*
    - Removed holofield/ss from prisms, opting for star and vectored engines so that if I really need to move across the field, my prisms can do it no problem and not have to worry about getting destroyed from an immobilized result.

- Dropped Vypers in exchange for warp spiders, warp spiders fit the theme of my army, many precise attacks coming from all over impeding my opponents advance and picking him apart before he can start a counter attack. Also I fell in love with the idea of the spinneret rifle it's almost a guaranteed wound that prevents my spiders or another unit from being assaulted by whatever the spiders shot at providing it isn't fearless.

Last edited by Amishcellphone; November 29th, 2006 at 01:26.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

A couple comments.

-if you use serpents you can have mechanized DA and defenders/stormies. I wouldn't though, but you mentioned jetbikes are the only mech troops.

-I really don't like the new vypers with their starguns.

-a fire prism is not a falcon. I know it seems like it, but a falcon has it's other weapons (I'd suggest picking up the cheap shuri cannon) and is as much about tank shocking and transporting the fire dragons as anything. As soon as someone gets weapon destroyed on a prism it's effectivly done. And with holofields weapons destroyed results are much more likely than immobilized or destroyed results. Similarly the very common "shaken" results put a prism out for a turn, whereas a falcon will keep hauling the fire dragons around, blocking their units paths of movement, forcing target priority checks, and tank shocking.

That isn't to say prisms aren't good, just don't pretend they're falcons.

Also I like shining spears but be careful. You scalpel analogy is great. Remeber that scalpels are used for removing tumors not sheering off a side of beef and you'll be OK.

-I wouldn't neccesarily put the autarc with the spears. He can't be directly targeted if you do it right so I think he might do better bouncing around behind guardian jetbikes, the falcon or the hawks. Getting in shots against vehicles and the like. With a 18" charge there is a fair chance he'll be albe to join the spears when they do charge.

Finally don't overlook skilled riders for the spears. I find myself using it every game with those guys. The units you want to hit (like devestators) are often in cover. Plus sometimes you just can't afford to go the long way and have to plow through some cover.
    Last edited by sunnyside; November 28th, 2006 at 07:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x1)

Thanks for the comments, sunnyside.

I mentioned guardian jetbikes as being the only true mechanized units because they are on jetbikes and require no transport to have their mobility.

You made a lot of good comments and critiques, however you've left me wanting as to how you feel about the list as a whole.

I may reconsider using vypers if someone can give me a good alternative.

I also have a question, if the autarch joins the spear squad, does he get the withdraw rule as well?

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

a fire prism is not a falcon. I know it seems like it, but a falcon has it's other weapons (I'd suggest picking up the cheap shuri cannon) and is as much about tank shocking and transporting the fire dragons as anything. As soon as someone gets weapon destroyed on a prism it's effectivly done. And with holofields weapons destroyed results are much more likely than immobilized or destroyed results. Similarly the very common "shaken" results put a prism out for a turn, whereas a falcon will keep hauling the fire dragons around, blocking their units paths of movement, forcing target priority checks, and tank shocking.

That isn't to say prisms aren't good, just don't pretend they're falcons.
    Dont forget he has Vectored engines so no immobilised.
    If 1 Prism gets shaken, it can still be used to power up the other one. If you take a lone one then yes I agree, but with 2, it still has a use when shaken.
    I also think you would find more shots would be put against the falcon than the prisms because it is carrying the Fire dragons, which can be devastating if they reach his lines in tact.

Overall I like the list, especially the Heavies. Im not so sure about the troops though. I'd like to see atleast 1 squad of 10 Avengers just for some versatility & objective holding.
    But as far as the mechanised theme goes then yeah jetbikes.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x1)

This army is so mobile that it doesnt need any static objective holders, if I get last turn I will be able to grab or contest just about everything on the table with no problem. Hawks can drop in, all jetbikes can boost 24" and lets not to forget about my vehicles which can also go 24", this list excels at objective based missions because it doesnt require you to focus on reaching them until your last turn.

W/D/L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like a very strong list.

My only big beef is with your Farseer---where will Doom be useful for you? Nearly everything wounds MEQ on 2+, and your relatively few shuricats won't be used very often. It's basically 45 points on your seer that will do mostly nothing. You don't have enough swooping hawks for Doom to be truly worth it, since you want LOTS of incoming low-strength fire to get the most out of the power. You don't have any wraith guns or snipers or banshees, so really what will Doom be doing?

Concerning the Fire Prisms-- Holo Fields does in fact increase your chance of weapon destroyed, but it's generally preferrable to being outright destroyed on 1/3 of incoming glances. I would either councel *only* vectored or *only* holo/stone combo, not both. The reason is because of what I just said about weapon destroyed, but also because it's not worth putting that many points into making your fire prisms live, when most of the anti-tank fire will be directed at your Falcon that's right in the enemy's face and carrying fire dragons. Sometimes he'll be forced to shoot the falcon because of target priority. Furthermore, with a 60" range the prism cannon shouldn't have too much trouble hitting whatever it wants, so there is no reason to get close in and take even more fire from special weapons, and if you're smart you can use terrain to cut down on the number of heavy weapons with LOS to your prism anyways, so holofields becomes less necessary. Do yourself a favor and take the fire prisms bare bones and save the 130 points in upgrades, or if you *really* have to just give them vectored and save yourself 90 points.

You can put those points into more swooping hawks, making Doom useful, and also into putting a third starcannon or at LEAST a scatter laser on that third vyper. Why on earth would you want a 24" range gun sitting there not doing anything while your enemy is distracted by your three battle tanks? I understand you want the cheap vyper to absorb that "destroyed" result, but it should be a WHILE before that happens, and then you're just wasting 50 points for several turns. My point is give the vehicle a weapon so that it can at least contribute fire to its squadmate's target instead of doing nothing, or causing you to risk getting within bolter range...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x1)

the farseer will be with my jetbike squads and only 6/18 of them have 6S weapons. Doom would be used on whatever the jetbikes decide needs to die that turn, however 12 of them have twin linked catapults but catapults are are only bolter equivalent, so wounding meq's still requires a 4+. Basically, the cannons in the squad soften up whatever target the guardians aim for and then the bikes shoot forward to 12" range and unleash a torrent of fire, which with the assistance of rerolling to hit on 12/18 models and rerolling wounds on all shots should help with. The reason doom is useful is because it maximizes the amount of wounds I can cause and helps better ensure that whatever is targeted by my jetbikes cant end up assaulting them next turn because a few models survived my barrage.

I like your logic for the prisms, though I am wary that my regular opponents will target my prisms first, since I have been bragging about how awesome the new fire prism is, and also how much MEQ death 2 working in concert can create. However, this will be their mistake, because my prisms are decked out, they will still be very hard to completely take down leaving my falcon open to fly past and vaporize any armor my opponent might be packing. It's logical though that they would target my long distance heavy support first though, since a fire prism can drop a guaranteed vehicle kill from 5 feet away, but it's a lose lose situation, they would have to be packing so much anti tank to stop my falcon and prisms at the same time that it would unbalance their list and make them unable to fend off the rest of my troops. (this is more my logical explanation for taking a decked out prism, however I honestly was looking to cut the points back and reinvest them elsewhere but I wasnt sure what to cut out, so I will take your advice and scale back the prisms.)

Thanks much for your insightful comments +rep.
    Last edited by Amishcellphone; November 29th, 2006 at 01:28.

W/D/L

+ Reply to Thread