2000 points mech tau- something different - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 points mech tau- something different

HQ
    90.....Shas'el Tl plasma, TA
    50.....Ethereial
    164...Guard (12), shas'ui, markerlight

Heavy
    240...Sinper team (3)
    140...Ion head, decoys, MT, SMS
    140... "

Troops
    230....FW (12), shas'ui, Devilfish, MT, TA, BC, Decoys
    230.... "
    230.... "
    230.... "

For the rest of the points I had originally wanted two units of stealth suits. However I am open to suggestions as to what else might help this army. Im really not looking for more battle suits so please dont suggest those(one at most.) I could easily fit in pathfinders, and there would still be points left over. As is the list comes to 1744 so there is 256 points to play with. I havent played a game this big yet with my tau so Im not so sure what will work. I will mainly be playing against Chapter SM, another Chapter SM, Necrons, Tau, and new Eldar. Any advice from the verterans would be very helpful.

Tyranids: 4000
    Tau: 725

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sooo.... your trying a mech army with no suits huh? It seems your going for volume of shots rather than quality, I'm saying this becuase your picking ionheads over the superior railhead. I'm guessing you know how to use FoF, I've never tried it with this many firewarriors but it would prolly be pretty strong with 96 s5 shots! I have a few recomendations, firstly, drop one man in the Ethereal's body guard and put the whole unit in a devilfish for added protection and mobility. Next I'd say that a pathfinder unit with marker lights would very helpful mainly because the FW's BS leaves much to be desired, the pathfinders would also be helpful if you use at least one pulse carbine in each unit. I know it retracts from the firepower but let's be honest... when you have 96 shots at 12" only having 92 shots isn't much of a loss concidering the possibility of pinning. To fill in the empty points I'd say try adding some more Fire Warriors in Fish, and maybe take that second ionhead and turn it into a railhead for added crowd control and tank killing.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by daroc View Post
    HQ
    90.....Shas'el Tl plasma, TA
    Don't twin-link on a model with such as high BS! Give him a second weapon instead of twin-linking the Plasma.. a Missile Pod, or a Fusion Blaster, would be ideal.

50.....Ethereial
    164...Guard (12), shas'ui, markerlight
    This unit has no place in a Mech list. It is very static, and it will be all too easy for the enemy to separate them from your main army and crush the Ethereal, either in CC or by shooting the unit down. I'd recommend dropping this unit altogether, to replace it with either another Shas'el or something else (see below).

Heavy
    240...Sinper team (3)
    Like the Ethereal and his unit, these guys don't belong in a Mech list, in my honest opinion. They are too static, and won't deal enough damage to really make a difference. You are relying on them for your anti-MEQ, where Crisis Suits will do much better (and be much more mobile).

140...Ion head, decoys, MT, SMS
    140... "
    Not bad, but why no Railguns? The Railgun on the Hammerhead is the single most dangerous weapon in the game, I'd think. Your list is severely lacking in anti-tank, and Ion Cannons won't cut it.

Troops
    230....FW (12), shas'ui, Devilfish, MT, TA, BC, Decoys
    230.... "
    230.... "
    230.... "
    I'd recommend upgrading the Gun Drones to an SMS. Otherwise, I like your core of Troops.

As for your list in general:

You are lacking, again, very severely in anti-tank weaponry. You are also lacking in anti-MEQ/other heavy infantry, with your Shas'el being your only Crisis Suit and the Sniper Drones being as static as they are.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the strongest weapon you have is strength 7. So you will have a hard time w/ SM tanks and can't hurt the necron monolith. I also think you should take a railgun instead of an ion cannon.

Or you could hand out more markerlights and employ seeker missiles.

I also agree w/ putting the Ethereal in a transport, then everything would fly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heres my thinking on the no anti tank stuff. The person who plays necrons I know for a fact doesnt and refuses to play the monolith. So tank #1 destroyed before the game even started. I also happen to know that one of the SM players favors dreads over tanks. And eldar tanks arent that tough. The toughest tanks I will be facing will be the other tau player. My plan for the etherial and snipers is to cover firing lanes while my other units move and fire.

Ill revise and repost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Heres my thinking on the no anti tank stuff. The person who plays necrons I know for a fact doesnt and refuses to play the monolith. So tank #1 destroyed before the game even started. I also happen to know that one of the SM players favors dreads over tanks. And eldar tanks arent that tough. The toughest tanks I will be facing will be the other tau player. My plan for the etherial and snipers is to cover firing lanes while my other units move and fire.

Ill revise and repost.
    Relying on S7 to do all your tank-killing is really going to hurt your list... what about Imperial Guard, with AV14 front? As for the other Tau player, if he has Hammerheads, you'll have to be glancing on a 6 on the front AV... it's just too much for S7 to handle, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ
    97.....shas'el- fireknife
    50.....Etherial
    132...Guard (11)
    100...DF, MT, TA, Decoys

Troops
    920...Same as last time, add one carbine to each unit

Heavy
    240...Sniper team (3)
    140...Ionhead, Decoys, MT, SMS
    175...Railhead, Decoys, MT, SMS

FA
    146...Pathfinders (4), markerlights - DF, decoys, MT, TA

I honestly dont think 4 pathfinders is enough. I might drop one FW from each group to add more PF. The reason Im not taking SMS on the DF is that if you use the FoF tactic then you dont need the extra range and you are getting 1 more shot in total. Also, do you think I should drop an entire troop selection for something else as I will still have 4 DFs doing FoF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

HQ
    Good.

50.....Etherial
    132...Guard (11)
    100...DF, MT, TA, Decoys
    Still not sure I like these guys... the Etheral seems wasted to me, as doesn't his power need the units to be within LOS of him? If he's in a transport (or vice versa), then it's wasted.

Troops
    Carbines aren't worth it. The single shot when in Rapid Fire range will help you much more significantly - you will rarely pin vs. most armies, and you will hit only half the time to even get to the point of causing a pinning test. Keep the Pulse Rifles.

Heavy
    240...Sniper team (3)
    Up to you to keep these guys - I don't like them too much, myself.

Good, but I'd recommend, if you're using SMS, trying to find the points for Target Locks, so you can shoot other things (even without LOS) if you need to. Much better for anti-tank.

FA
    You're right - four Pathfinders is not enough. What are your plans for these guys? Are they just lighting up random targets for random units, or do they have a purpose?

You're still a little light on anti-MEQ/heavy infantry and a tad light on anti-tank, in my opinion, but it's a bit better than the last version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ
    50.....Etherial
    132...Guard (11)
    100...DF, MT, TA, Decoys

Troops

Heavy
    240...Sniper team (3)

FA

I honestly dont think 4 pathfinders is enough. I might drop one FW from each group to add more PF. The reason Im not taking SMS on the DF is that if you use the FoF tactic then you dont need the extra range and you are getting 1 more shot in total. Also, do you think I should drop an entire troop selection for something else as I will still have 4 DFs doing FoF.
    Interesting list. I would say give target locks to the Hammerheads to make them more effcient and drop two of the Devilfish on the Mounted Firewarriors and make them static squads. That way the Honor Guard isnt the only static squad you have and can be used as the center bullwark for a larger firebase instead of the majority of the firebase itself. That also gives you 3 teams of a Firewarrior squad and Sniper Drone team each. The Ionhead is an excelent tank for its cost and does relatively well at light armor hunting, the Railhead is also versatile. I would however drop the Pathfinders in favor of perhaps some Stealth Suits. You seem to be going at least a little hybrid, which is a strong way to play Tau. I would suggest not minimising your Firebase so much and if your going to have one make it strong. Spread out enough that templates cant wipe you out in one blast and one assault squad cant sweep from one unit to the next but keep each of your static squads in sight of at least one other so you have a chain of support. Around this the two mobile squads and the two Hammerheads can operate with perhaps a few stealth suits or a crisis suit or two acting as in between units. I highly recommend Deathrain's with Targeting Array's if you are facing lots of light/medium tanks and skimmers.
    Vash113, Moderator of Tau Online's Tau Board

My Website:
    http://squaliix.tripod.com/index.html
    http://squaliix.tripod.com/ultramarines

My Photo Album:
    http://squaliix.tripod.com/redneck_album/?i=0

Tau 2250 pts
    Win: 23 Tie: 6 Lose: 4

Ultramarines 1000 pts
    Win: 6 Tie: 1 Lose: 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    Still not sure I like these guys... the Etheral seems wasted to me, as doesn't his power need the units to be within LOS of him? If he's in a transport (or vice versa), then it's wasted.
    Ok so I had him out of a transport before so that he could use his powers. Ill take him out again

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    You're still a little light on anti-MEQ/heavy infantry and a tad light on anti-tank, in my opinion, but it's a bit better than the last version.
    I dont understand how I was light on anti MEQ. I had 16 S6 AP3 or better shots per turn. That can easily wipe a SM squad off the map.
    Instead of me continuing to guess at what units I could use for anti MEQ I will ask you to give a small list that are best at anti MEQ. That way I can choose. Im also beginning to see something happen that I dont like, but I will let it slide for now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast