help me make a 2000 pt list for a tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help me make a 2000 pt list for a tournament

hey, as the topic says im trying to come up with a good 2000 pt list for a mid janurary tournament. what should i run?

Im running alatioc, and im trying to stay fluffy.

I like to run shooty alot, but i really dont like being eaten if anything gets close. if that helps at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why don't you post a preliminary list and we'll give you advice on it. A few pointers: I believe that pathfinders are more worth their oints than rangers. I would take scorpions because they can infiltrate along with the rangers. Heavy support and fast attack is completely open.
    Kai Shin Craftworld (Biel Tan / Ulthwe) 5000 pts
    Emperor's Children 2000 pts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats my problem. i cant make a list cause theres so much nifty stuff that the eldar can do.

Note that i have 96 rangers models (i know... i know...) and 6 war walkers. Im hoping i can make a ranger heavy list that does not suck. i would like to run the walkers to but just because the scatter laser set up rocked. lol.

im not a big fan of wave serpents though, cause they are very expensive. those are my basic guidelines, so lets start making a list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, two 10 man pathfinder squads would use some of those ranger minis. 20 pathfinders can threaten a lot of terrain, take great cover saves, and that settle about 500 points your list.

Maybe equip some of the war walkers with scatter lasers, some with EMLs for anti-tank/emergency jack-knife duty. Two squadrons of three will give you a heavy support slot for either Reapers or a Wraithlord. Reapers and the pathfinders will put out a brutal amount of anti-MEQ firepower. A wraithlord will cost fewer points, and give your opponent a big shiny target so he doesn't frag the war walkers by turn 2.

Beyond that, you need some cc. And some non-wave serpent cc, because not only don't you like them, a lone tank is a dead tank. Harlis w/shadow seer, or Scorpians with infiltrate Exarch, or maybe the new shining spears. Take your pick - they're all good units, but used in different ways.

A farseer with guide will help the scatter laser set up. A farseer with doom on a jetbike will help the rangers. An autarch equiped to acommpany shining spears will turn an already mobile counter-charge unit into the doomhammer of the apocalypse. All in all, they'res a lot of nifty stuff, and you'll have a few points left by my count. Some Dires with the John Woo exarch and bladestorm will add to your shooting. Or go to the outer edge of absurdity and grab more pathfinders.

That's my two cents - now follow Hsin_dragon's adivce and give us a sample list to critique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i strongly reccomend an autarch with a laser lance on a bike. put him with a unit of spears and he will excell. as for HS, i always do 2 prisms and either some reapers or a wraithlord(or sometimes even WW) Fp's always get the job done. no matter what. striking scorpions are excellent cc units. tak a 10-strong unit with a exarch with a Biting blade and shadowstrike. highly effctive and whatever they can't kill your spears probably can. scorpions are great for killing meq's because they get on average somewhere around 40 attacks on the charge, so they work very well. spears can also go tank hunting with their exarch if he has a star lance. over all spears and scorpions work very well together. 2 ten man squads of pathfinders sounds good to me, as after all, they are good for guard killing and ork killing. at 20 shots a turn, no ork mob get to them before either they failed their leadership test OR they die. either way they aren't bad ideas for killing things with low leadership. that is what i think(NOTE i am not a aliotic player so i am not the best person to get advice from.)
    Zoe: Doesn't the bible say something specific about killing?
    Preacher: Yes, but it's somewhat fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps.
    -Firefly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

though i do love scorpions the only problem is that a squad borders on 200 pts. that mean with the 2 squads of scorpions, 20 pathfinders, and 7 harlequins im at 1000 pts. is that really a good way to spend my point? or im 1200 with a farseer and autarch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

I am not a big fan of ranger/pathfinder armies, but being an eldar player I would say no.

Granted I have never seen/faced or watched someone with 20 pathfinder shots. But since you want to stay fluffy, I'd go for what was said earlier, except I would definety take dark reapers, you can't go wrong with them.

I would not go as far as to say fire prisms always get the job done. Yes when you have 2 fire prisms they are immense, but That is alot of points and are you sure they are going to earn back all their points? Fire prisms really are not that hard to shoot down. Exspeciallyin an 2000 point game. Think of a space marine army, any unit has the ability to take it down, that leaves alot of chances. Whether is be a power fist veteren sergent, to a krak or las cannon in the squad of tac marines.

Do you have any idea of what types of armys you will be facing and if you are aloud to change the army list once it is submitted? I know most tourneys do not let you change it all until the top 4 matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a 3 round tournament. i will be facing at least 1 eldar, 2-3 marines, 1 orks, 1 blood anglels (they get their own catagory, lol), and quite a few chaos (specifically iron warriors).

thats why i love pathfinders, they crack open meq like no other

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just read some tactics and had some inspiration

HQ- 92

Autarch – 100
    w/power weapon, mandiblasters, avenger shuriken catapult

Elites – 490

Fire dragons – 96
    6 fire dragons

Striking scorpions – 197
    10 scorpions, exarch (biting blade, shadowstrike)

Striking scorpions – 197
    10 scorpions, exarch (biting blade, shadowstrike)

Troops – 842

Rangers - 168
    7 pathfinders

Rangers - 168
    7 pathfinders

Guardians – 100
    10 guardians, elder missile launcher

Guardians – 100
    10 guardians, elder missile launcher

Dire Avengers – 138
    8 avengers, exarch (power weapon, shimmersheild, defend)

Dire Avengers – 138
    8 avengers, exarch (power weapon, shimmersheild, defend)

Heavies – 455

Falcon – 195
    Scatter laser, vectored engines, holo-field, spirit stones

War walker squadron – 120
    2 walkers, 4 scatter lasers

War walker squadron – 140
    2 walkers, 4 missile launchers

the falcon will run to one side with the fire dragons to pop a tank and start the destruction while the scorpions infiltrated. if nothing else both of these units will serve as a great big explosive and destructive doom speedbump while the 6 missile launchers rain death on anything in line of sight. the walkers as well as rangers and guardians will stay in cover, and the avengers will advance.

please comment on the list as well as the general plan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I think your better off to setup a safe fire base and make them come to you. I would fill your troop choices with pathfinders. Then 2 units of warwalkers and maybe some vypers. Then add a waithlord to toughen the army up against hth and maybe an avatar. My whole idea would be to sit back and decimate your opponent as he comes towards you. When he finally does reach you he has to contend against a waithlord and an avatar in combat.
    Scatterlasers can kill enemy transports and your pinning should keep them back a while. Maybe go with 2 waitlord? Anyway, I think that would be a good list. But most will probably call it cheese or hate me for it.:cry:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast