My first army, 1500 pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first army, 1500 pts

I'm totally new to the game and I'm trying to go for a heavy CC army with artillery support. After reading peoples negative views about biovores on here however I decided to go with carnifex's for heavy range support. I havn't bought much in the way of models yet because I want to settle on my list, so please critique:

HQ:
    Hive Tyrant ST, VC, ES, EC, Tox Miasma
    1x Guard Lash Whip, RC

Brood Lord EC, TS, Feeder Tendrils
    5x GS with EC

Elites:
    3x Warriors RC, ST, +init, EC, Leaping

Troops:
    16x Hormagaunts +WS, EC
    16x Hormagaunts +WS, EC
    12x Genestealers EC, Feeder Tendrils, Scuttlers

Heavy Support:
    1x Carnifex VC, BS, ES, RChitin

Army Total = 1500
    Total Models = 60

I wanted to fit some Lictors in because I really think they look cool and seem to have a fun play style to them, but I wanted to have at least one set of warriors for more synapse and I couldn't afford more than one Lictor which didn't seem worth it so I went for a second unit of warriors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1x Guard Lash Whip, RC

I would drop the guard and add wings so that it can keep up with your hormaguants and provide synapse. Also VC is usualy not effective on a HT I would drop it for 2 sything talons for more cc or give it 2 twin-linked devourers.

5x GS with EC

I would drop the feeder tendrils. As long as you use your broodlord and retinue to soak up enemy fire for the 1st turn to allow the rest of you army to catch up this looks fine.

The leaping won't allow you to stay with your guants I would add wings so they can provide more synapse coverage.

16x Hormagaunts +WS, EC
    16x Hormagaunts +WS, EC

Hormaguants are expensive as it is (as far as guants go) and as they should be shielding your stealers I would drop all of the biomorphs from them.

I would drop the Feeder Tendrils on the Genestealers and perhaps the Scuttlers as you will want the guants in front of your stealers to protect them.

In my opinion the best fex's there are. Nice job.

You might want to add a zoanthrope or two if you can to provde further synapse coverage and to get Warp Blast.

All of the following is based on my own stratagy wich is to run straight into the enemy with the guants leading, providing a shield to my stealers. My HT and warriors slightly behind to provide synapse and mop up. My fex's in cover taking down tanks or problem units and the zoanthrope wandering the field taking down problem units and providing support for holes in my synapse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyquid View Post
    HQ:
    1x Guard Lash Whip, RC
    This guy's not bad, but it's typically better to take two Tyrant Guard, especially as this is a 1500 point game. It's a really bad idea to mix ranged (shooting) and melee (close combat) biomorphs on Monsterous Creatures, and that includes your tyrant. My suggestion is dropping the Scything Talons and Toxic Miasma in favor of Toxin Sacs and a Barbed Strangler or Twin-Linked Deathspitters / Devourers.

Since your MCs can fire two weapons a turn anyway, it's a good idea to give the slow ones (Carnifi and walking Tyrants) paired ranged weapons. The ranged / melee combo just doesn't perform well... you wind up wasting points every turn.

5x GS with EC
    Feeder Tendrils doesn't really give a benefit the Brood Lord or his Retinue, and the Brood Lord itself is typically too slow to make a good 'Feeder Tendril' support unit (it really doesn't NEED the help of massed Gaunts, either). If you need to cut points somewhere, I'd say cut the Feeder Tendrils first. Everything else here looks good, though.

Elites:
    These guys are decent back-up Synapse, but very squishy and not much better than Genestealers in close combat. Decent, but don't rely on them, because your opponent will have little trouble shooting them down.

Troops:
    16x Hormagaunts +WS, EC
    16x Hormagaunts +WS, EC
    Here's where your list starts to run into problems. With a walking Hive Tyrant, you have nothing that can keep up with charging Hormagaunts... which means it's very likely these guys will charge completely out of Synapse range. This MIGHT be mitigated by an infiltrated Brood Lord... but you can't rely on that, either (your opponent can DENY you good infiltration by infiltrating units of his own. Daemonhunters' Death Cult assassins are particularly good at this).

My suggestion is either winged warriors, which are fragile and likely to be shot down before they can accomplish anything (which still leaves your Hormagaunts out of Synapse range), or to replace your Tyrant with a flying Hive Tyrant.

There are two I prefer: The Devil Tyrant (Wings, 2x Twin-Linked Devourers, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, and Warp Field) or the Scythe Tyrant (Wings, 2x Scything Talons, AG(WS), AG (I), Toxin Sacs, Warp Field). Toxic Miasma can be decent, but AG (WS) is cheaper and provides essentially the same benefit... so if you can't both, go with AG (WS).

Not a fan of Feeder Tendrils. The Genestealers don't need them, because you're really looking for '6'es to hit anyway. I don't like Scuttlers either, as that puts them in front of the Gaunts and in perfect position to be shot without target priority tests. Really, though, these guys are too expensive. You'll probably get better results by taking off Feeder Tendrils and Scuttlers, and using the points you save to get more Genestealers.

Heavy Support:
    These guys are perfect. There are some situations where Extended Carapace or Bonded Exoskeleton is better than Reinforced Chitin, but in general Reinforced Chitin is better, so stick with it 'till you learn which armies 'beat' it the most easily (missile-heavy Space Marines, for instance).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate the replies. I think I will go with a Winged Hive Tyrant, sounds like the best option. This is what I am working with right now:

Hive Tyrant - 2x ST, +init, TS, Winged, Warp Field)
    Broodlord - EC, TS
    6x GS EC

3x Warriors RC, ST, +init, Leaping
    3x Warriors RC, ST, +init, Leaping

16x Hormagaunts ST
    16x Hormagaunts ST
    12x Genestealers EC

1x Carnifex - Weapons (VC, BS) Biomorphs(ES, RChitin)
    1x Carnifex - Weapons (VC, BS) Biomorphs(ES, RChitin)

Total = 1499

+ Reply to Thread